Sign in to follow this  
LongShot

Bite the Hand that Feeds

NJWC, I'm the fella who, along w/Willie Saylor and about half a dozen other posters, clowned you for not knowing the definition of simple words like "historic" and "legendary."

You didn't (and still don't) seem to know anything about high school wrestling as the match you refer to is the Dean Heil v Aaron Pico match at Super 32. The match was not 1/1/1 and neither were sophomores at the time. I'm sure I already lost you with "Aaron Pico" though so I'll stop. Keep killin' it on the boards, man! I hear nothing but good things about you.

As usual, you would be incorrect. Can you provide the link where the 6 or so guys were "clowning" me (ironic that you would try to attack my vocabulary while using that kind of terminology)? I also wasn't "clowning" Willie, he seems like a decent enough guy. You, on the other hand, come off a 14 year old Dbag on his parents' computer.

Hey, any "historic" high school matchups at IUP this past weekend? Any "legendary" wrestlers that? At the HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL? You dolt.

NJWC, I'm the fella who, along w/Willie Saylor and about half a dozen other posters, clowned you for not knowing the definition of simple words like "historic" and "legendary."

You didn't (and still don't) seem to know anything about high school wrestling as the match you refer to is the Dean Heil v Aaron Pico match at Super 32. The match was not 1/1/1 and neither were sophomores at the time. I'm sure I already lost you with "Aaron Pico" though so I'll stop. Keep killin' it on the boards, man! I hear nothing but good things about you.

Wow, you do make it easy for him, Nick. Not only with the sad envy you displayed in the ESPN article but also by misremembering almost every detail of what it was you thought deserved to be described as "historic" and legendary in an article you wrote just four months ago.

It wasn't Super32s. It was the Walsh Ironman. Aaron Pico was not involved at all.

You called Micah Jordan's 2012 Ironman win over Dean Heil "historic." You described Micah Jordan himself as a "legend." And you called Flo's Who's #1 dual "historic."

Here's a link to the conversation: http://forums.themat.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=235910&start=100

Can we just say "ouch" and move along? :lol: Get a real job, I understand the carnival is looking for a guy to shave the bearded woman's back.

On a side note, dumbass, can you point out where Willie or the six other posters came to your defense? That kind of support is legendary. That six posters would do so is historic.

Ahh I wrote too soon. You are right, PF -forgot it was the Jordan/Heil upset at Ironman that spawned our back n' forth. When NJWC said preseason tournament, I thought he was talking about the Heil/Pico match I wrote about.

Must admit I do feel a bit foolish now. :(

To NJWC: Historic HS Matchups? IDK...but Tyler Berger did win his second FloNationals title. Sam Krivus did too. They join this group of past 2x champs: Morgan McIntosh, Jason Tsirtsis, Joey Davis -all high school legends.

And here's the list of posters who called you out for writing something ridiculous: ClarkSpring,LeshisMore, BigBrog, Township, LkwdSteve, Husker (Willie)

Keep trolling my friend. All the best.

Ahh I wrote too soon. You are right, PF -forgot it was the Jordan/Heil upset at Ironman that spawned our back n' forth. When NJWC said preseason tournament, I thought he was talking about the Heil/Pico match I wrote about.

Must admit I do feel a bit foolish now. :(

To NJWC: Historic HS Matchups? IDK...but Tyler Berger did win his second FloNationals title. Sam Krivus did too. They join this group of past 2x champs: Morgan McIntosh, Jason Tsirtsis, Joey Davis -all high school legends.

And here's the list of posters who called you out for writing something ridiculous: ClarkSpring,LeshisMore, BigBrog, Township, LkwdSteve, Husker (Willie)

Keep trolling my friend. All the best.

Wait, you write an "article" ripping ESPN for coverage that you couldn't dream of providing, you get called out on it, and I'm the troll? LOL!

Wait, you write an "article" ripping ESPN for coverage that you couldn't dream of providing, you get called out on it, and I'm the troll? LOL!

1) yes, you're a message boards troll. you try to get into arguments with poster after poster in thread after thread, you fancy yourself a maven on here for some reason

2) I didn't exactly rip ESPN's coverage of the tournament. I compliment their top-notch production, their distribution of their product, etc. I have plenty of great things to say about ESPN and plenty of not-so-great things to say about their commentary during the NCAA semi finals and finals broadcasts (the only ones I saw)

Don't take me too seriously though, NJWC. I mean no real harm. Heck, I even feel bad about insulting your intelligence in previous posts -I'll admit it: I have a tough time holding back when someone calls me a d-bag or "dolt." lol

1) yes, you're a message boards troll. you try to get into arguments with poster after poster in thread after thread, you fancy yourself a maven on here for some reason

2) I didn't exactly rip ESPN's coverage of the tournament. I compliment their top-notch production, their distribution of their product, etc. I have plenty of great things to say about ESPN and plenty of not-so-great things to say about their commentary during the NCAA semi finals and finals broadcasts (the only ones I saw, the only ones I commented on)

Don't take me too seriously though, NJWC. I mean no real harm. Heck, I even feel bad about insulting your intelligence in previous posts -I'll admit it: I have a tough time holding back when someone calls me a d-bag or "dolt." lol

Was Nick given a stearn talking to by upper management to change his attitude or did that occur by himself?

Ha, a stern talking to? The Flo bros generally love my wild card antics; they're not exactly worried about my interactions w/trolls on themat.com

Nope, I'm being genuine here, Ocho. I know I ruffle some feathers with my opinions sometimes, and yea I'm pretty unapologetic about that...but I don't like clogging up these boards with petty fights all day (I'm sure Richard Immel hates me right now).

Was Nick given a stearn talking to by upper management to change his attitude or did that occur by himself?

Ha, a stern talking to? The Flo bros generally love my wild card antics; they're not exactly worried about my interactions w/trolls on themat.com

Nope, I'm being genuine here, Ocho. I know I ruffle some feathers with my opinions sometimes, and yea I'm pretty unapologetic about that...but I don't like clogging up these boards with petty fights all day (I'm sure Richard Immel hates me right now).

Here's what you don't get...Flo has consistently had the worst announcing of any coverage of wrestling. This is going back to when it was just Martin, by himself, screaming into a camera (I'm not sure if you watched Flo back then). The thing is though, we don't really care too much about how bad your announcing is, because we understand that you guys are all amateurs, and we appreciate the effort you put in to fly around the country and cover these events. How do you not see how hilariously ironic your "article" was criticizing the announcing at ESPN? It is honestly a joke, and the type of piece you'd expect to find written by a high school kid on bleacher report.

I appreciate Nick actually responding on here, and I don't think he's embarrassed himself on this thread. I'm not against Flo overall, just this article. I get that you want to defend it and protect what's yours. But, you're kind of alienating yourself by doing so in the eyes of a lot of fans. Still appreciate what Flo does, shotty billing practices and all.

I have defended flo on this thread and am now disappointed to see current flo member Nick V insult his target audience on a forum board. In business (maybe Nick will learn this one day) you will always have 5% of customers who make your life hell. It doesn't mean you insult them or as Nick puts it "CLOWN" on them. Maybe Nick V needs to go back and watch the video posted by his own affiliation before tweeting and posting:

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/74152 ... 0QElK4o7cc

With that said. I am a big fan of flo and everything they do for the sport.

Grabs Popcorn and a beverage......

haha, seriously.

My take on this (not that anybody cares) is that Nick is setting the bar for Flo's professionalism incredibly low. The original article is one thing. I didn't agree with the general whiny tone of it, but whatever. But to then engage is this petulant back and forth on here is another level of embarrassing. I have always like Flo because they hustle. They have created more original content and coverage than I ever thought would be widely available for wrestling. They have always been passionate and energetic. That doesn't have to be mutually inclusive with immature and childish. Everybody would have been better off had Nick not gone into middle school mode when people pointed out how flawed and immature his article was. The last thing this sport needs is its supporters getting divisive.

did you hear any inaccuracies in the ruth/wilps commentary? the point is: mistakes happen and it is tough to throw stones when everyone has mistakes in their commentary. are some inexcusable? sure..... the problem with the whole production is syracuse isn't pumping out talent that covers wrestling for a living. you have to pick between wrestling expertise and formal sports broadcasting training.

Another reason why we've lost out when the Orange dropped wrestling, Sockobuw.

absolutely. i was almost part of the last freshman class there (glad i dodged that bullet). even with the exposure coming through school there i think more guys would be interested in taking the assignment.

did you hear any inaccuracies in the ruth/wilps commentary? the point is: mistakes happen and it is tough to throw stones when everyone has mistakes in their commentary. are some inexcusable? sure..... the problem with the whole production is syracuse isn't pumping out talent that covers wrestling for a living. you have to pick between wrestling expertise and formal sports broadcasting training.

You bring up a very good point (in bold), sockobuw. You're spot on really.

Many point out that the nit-picky nature of my article ultimately results in the downfall of the piece. They may be right, and I must admit error in the way I delivered my critique. I should've emphasized that it was not only the minute distortions in wrestling terminology and facts that upset me but also that in combination with the lack of excitement expressed by the highly polished commentators.

This push for a formal, polished, safe viewing experience...I'm willing to sacrifice it for a more amplified and exciting approach -that called by experts. Many on these board are going to hate me for saying this (watch this thread grow a couple more pages), but: I personally think wrestling needs more Joe Rogans and less Joe Bucks to call our NCAA Finals. We've been dealing with the Joe Buck types for decades, and for what? A comfortable viewing experience once a year? I'll gladly sacrifice a bit of formality for a heightened emotional experience. I pick wrestling expertise over formal broadcasting training.

Now old timers (and journalism majors) will most likely say that when formal training goes out the window so does "professionalism" (the buzz word of the week). Well, I disagree. Let's go back to Joe Rogan for a second. Not exactly the ESPN type, he oftentimes comes off brash, even obnoxious to some -he's far from polished. But when the man calls a PPV, he does so with supreme accuracy, expertise and delivers for his viewers an experience that keeps them coming back -hell, I keep coming back. What's more professional than that?

The whole point of my article was not to belittle the efforts of the polished professionals who called our NCAA Semi's and Finals. It was to suggest (my opinion) that we can do better with whom we choose to have call our Super Bowl. I really don't think I'm crazy for thinking that.

Food for thought: if Jason Bryant (or another polished wrestling broadcaster) were to call the SuperBowl or NBA Finals alongside Troy Aikman or Jeff Van Gundy the same way Amin and Johnson called the NCAA Finals...would NFL and NBA die-hards think something was fishy? or would they describe it as the best viewing experience they've ever had? No offense to Bryant (a seasoned pro) but I'm confident that if he called a formation wrong, incorrectly identified a player or simply just turned the broadcast into a snooze-fest, he would immediately be put on blast through social media. Why, as wrestling fans, can we not do the same?

More food for thought: if Amin or Johnson had been calling UFC PPV's for the past 5 or so years, would the UFC be in the same place it is now?

All just my two cents...

*Sorry for the hypothetical, Jason. I like ya and know you would never call a formation wrong, big dog. :)