Sign in to follow this  
Indywrastlin23

This is going to be a fun weight to watch next year. It has an obvious front runner in Dean but there are tons of young challengers that will make it interesting. Brooks and Dechow lead the pack of challengers. Then there are the other returning studs in Thomas, Abounader, Courts, Dudley, and Reyes to name a few. Another name that was kind of forgotten toward the end of the year was Pfarr from Minn. He was tearing it up before Steinhaus returned. He should step right in next year without missing a beat. There are also some really good freshmen coming off redshirts in Sliga from Northwestern and McCutcheon for PSU. If McIntosh drops instead of McC then he goes straight to the top of the challengers list. Sliga has had some impressive results in freestyle ( 3 time Fargo champ, wins over Dudley, Dechow, and DEAN at fila jrs last summer). He could be the breakout star if he figures out folkstyle a little more. I just feel this weight has been a little over looked because of its youth. I think 184 will quickly return to the ridiculous depth it boasted a couple years ago.

I wonder if the big 4 of the Big 10 all stay at 174. Storley, Brown, Evans, Kokesh and all will be seniors

I think all four have reason to believe they can win at 174. I can't see them bumping up unless they have trouble making the weight.

I think Nebraska might be stronger with Kokesh at 184 and Dudley at 197. I would probably prefer Barnes in the lineup instead of S. Johnson.

Of the top 174 lbers, Kokesh seemed the smallest to me. I don't think he'd do well with the weight change.

Iowa has a ready made 184 who showed he could compete with and beat very good wrestlers this year as a RS freshman in Sam Brooks. Evans will be at 174 next year. You have to think Storley and Brown will be also as I'm pretty sure both schools have guys ready to come in at 184.

I doubt Evans moves up because I think Brooks will be in the finals next year. He has beaten Dechow on several occasions as well as many of the the other top guys. Iowa could have 3 in a row in the finals if regular season Moore shows up depending on how good Bo Jordan really is.

I doubt Evans moves up because I think Brooks will be in the finals next year. He has beaten Dechow on several occasions as well as many of the the other top guys. Iowa could have 3 in a row in the finals if regular season Moore shows up depending on how good Bo Jordan really is.

Love how you open the forum saying it is anyone's game but the next post you state Brooks in the finals. "Definite contender" idk about that. Can Brooks be in the AA discussion? Absolutely... Think you are jumping the gun a bit with top 2. There is a lot of guys returning at this weight and as you originally stated, I think there is a lot of people who are in the mix.

Returning R/S Nate Brown from Lehigh should be in the mix. This year on redshirt

Lost to Dean 8-6 at the Bearcat

TF over Bernstein 17-2

Beat AA Thomas 7-4

Beat Aboundar 6-1

Lost to Sheptock 5-3

Love how you open the forum saying it is anyone's game but the next post you state Brooks in the finals. "Definite contender" idk about that. Can Brooks be in the AA discussion? Absolutely... Think you are jumping the gun a bit with top 2. There is a lot of guys returning at this weight and as you originally stated, I think there is a lot of people who are in the mix.

I didn't say he was a lock. I just predicted he would make the finals. That doesn't make it any less wide open than what I originally stated. I didn't realize Berstein was back and I also forgot about Nate Brown. Sometimes those redshirts get lost in the shuffle. That just makes this weight even better. Im very excited to see how it shakes out.

I agree that 184 will be an exciting weight to watch next year. Ed Ruth's exit really opens this weight up for some interesting discussion for the first time in a few years.

5 Top Contenders:

Gabe Dean- Cornell would have to be considered the top contender coming off an unbelievable freshman season. Top Wins: Ed Ruth, Kevin Steinhaus x 2, Jack Dechow, Lorenzo Thomas x 2, Ophir Bernstein x 2, Jake Swartz x 2, TJ Dudley, Nathaniel Brown. Bad Losses None. His only defeats were to Ruth x 2 and Sheptock.

Jack Dechow- Old Dominion really served notice by defeating Ryan Loder for the MAC title and following that up with a 4th place NCAA finish, losing to Dean in a very competitive 5-4 bout. Best Wins: Kevin Steinhaus, Max Thomusseit, Ryan Loder x 2, Ophir Bernstein. Bad Losses Dechow dropped a few bouts to upper mid-level guys including Johnny Eblen, Alex Utley, and Clint Morrison.

Max Thomusseit- Pittsburgh may be a little overlooked after failing to reach the podium on OKC but he has all of the tools to challenge this top group. Best Wins: Nathaniel Brown, Kenny Courts, Vic Avery, Dominic Abounader. Bad Losses: None. He lost four bouts all season to Sheptock x 2, Dechow, and Steinhaus.

Nathaniel Brown- Lehigh is coming off a redshirt campaign which saw him jump up from 174 pounds to 184 pounds and register an impressive 26-3 record. Top Wins: Lorenzo Thomas, Vic Avery, Ophir Bernstein, Dominic Abounader. Bad Losses: None. His only losses were to Sheptock in OT, Dean, and Thomusseit

Sammy Brooks- IA is coming off an impressive redshirt campaign. His redshirt results, prep pedigree, and aggressive style have Hawk fans anxious to usher out the Ethen Lofthouse Era. Top Wins: TJ Dudley, Abounader, Nolan Boyd. He also had some very impressive close losses including 3-2 to Lofthouse, 3-2 to Gadson, 3-2 to Sheptock, and 8-6 to Steinhaus. Bad Losses: His toughest loss was probably to a DII finalist from Ouachita Baptist.

5 Other Contenders in the Discussion

Lorenzo Thomas- Penn, Dominic Abounader- MICH, Ophir Bernstein- Brown, Vic Avery- EDIN, Kenny Courts- OSU.

5 Guys Knocking on the Door

Brett Pfarr- MN, TJ Dudley- NEB, Blake Stauffer- AZ, Ben Stroh- WYO, Sam Wheeler- KSU

5 Deeper Sleepers Worth Keeping an Eye On

Matt McCutcheon- PSU, Jordan Rogers- OSU, Ricky Robertson- WIS, Mitch Sliga- NW, Michael Pixley- ILL

Thanks Sludge. With 184 cleared out this year, it will be interesting to see if one of these guys can truly separate themselves from the pack. Dean is obviously a front runner to do so, but Dechow came out of nowhere (to me) and appears to have a very high ceiling as well. If only we didnt have to wait 5 more months....

Thanks Sludge. Excellent breakdown. With 184 cleared out this year, it will be interesting to see if one of these guys can truly separate themselves from the pack. Dean is obviously a front runner to do so, but Dechow came out of nowhere (to me) and appears to have a very high ceiling as well. If only we didnt have to wait 5 more months....

Thanks Sludge. Excellent breakdown. With 184 cleared out this year, it will be interesting to see if one of these guys can truly separate themselves from the pack. Dean is obviously a front runner to do so, but Dechow came out of nowhere (to me) and appears to have a very high ceiling as well. If only we didnt have to wait 5 more months....