Sign in to follow this  
skikayaker

FIVEpeat

What are Penn State's chances for a FIVEPEAT at B1Gs, and NCAAs?

I think NCAAs would require no fewer than six top three placers and two additional AAs given the likelihood that they will not win an individual title or make up the bonus scored by Taylor and Ruth. They will need 285 to AA, Gulibon to AA, and the Altons to step it up big with two additional AAs. They can conceivably win a title between Megaludis, Retherford, Brown or McIntosh and will likely score high AAs with these team leaders.

IF, on the other hand there is no chance for a B1G or NCAA title, and I mean NO CHANCE, then I'd consider making 2015 a true rebuilding year redshirting Megaludis, Retherford, and all incoming true freshman and starting Conaway at 125, and Frey/Beitz/Moss at 141.

isufan.....I have not seen much positive concerning PSU and Cael since hie departure for "Happy Valley". Very please to see your comment and I agree....Cael will not let go of the opportunity for a 5 peat without his/our best shot.

Given the landscape of college wrestling the opportunity may not come again in our lifetime!

A lot of teams will be in the running next season and it might not take a lot of points to win the whole thing. PSU can put a potential AA at every weight in their lineup and that makes them very capable of winning the title again. Anyone who counts them out is not paying attention.

^^I do not know what Andrew Alton's plans are for 2015, but last month word around the Nit's campfire was that he needed shoulder surgery on his other shoulder. I'm wondering if Zack Beitz might be PSU's starter next fall at 149 and redshirt for Jason Nolf, as he grows into 149. Interesting year coming up.

I'd say that Penn State has as good a chance as any other team, given the experience that most of starters have had, and given the improvements we've seen from some of their better guys.

Of course the other usual suspects (Iowa, Minnesota, Oklahoma State, etc.) will be in the mix, as well as some improved teams (Ohio State, Wisconsin, Northwestern). Should be a very fun year to be a fan.

I definitely agree that they can still be in the mix. There are so many different possibilities for this year coming up about who will be at what weight, who will redshirt, etc. Stove_pipe, I haven't heard that, but if that's true I still think Nolf will redshirt and Beitz gets 149 (unless of course Zain bumps up). Beitz really impressed me this year. His record may not show his true potential that his individual matches did. He wrestled a few quality kids and pretty much kept every match within reach. He lost in SV to Tsirtsis and SV2 to Dardanes. He lost by two to Kindig and Villalonga. He beat Sakaguchi, Ervin, Rugirello, and Paddock. Once he packs on a little more muscle, I think he easily AA's.

^^Coach Sanderson in March video interview said that Andrew Alton needed surgery on his "other" shoulder and now PSU followers are saying Andrew recently had it and is rehabbing. Sounds like Andrew could be 100 percent by next fall. 149 should be interesting.

isufan.....I have not seen much positive concerning PSU and Cael since hie departure for "Happy Valley". Very please to see your comment and I agree....Cael will not let go of the opportunity for a 5 peat without his/our best shot.

Given the landscape of college wrestling the opportunity may not come again in our lifetime!

I haven't posted for a time. I don't remember that many negative remarks about Cael. I was very upset that he left Iowa State. But life goes on and I got over it. I am happy for his family. Cael is a great guy and loves to win. He is where he needed to be and looks happy. He has one of the best coaching jobs in college wrestling. He deserves it and does a great job.

I think K.J. has Iowa State back on track. College wrestling needs Iowa State to be in the mix.

Arizona State should hire Eric Guerrero or Brandan Eggum. West Virginia should look at Damion Hahn, Casey Cunningham, or Joe Heskett. Just glad they are keeping the programs and trying to get better. Thoughts!

PSU has the ability to be a national championship team next season. They are not the favorites and it would take a pretty impressive effort but they are capable of it. PSU has cemented themselves as a perennial "in the hunt" team going forward. Similar to Iowa, MN, OK ST, where they may not always win, but they always got a shot!

For the sake of College wrestling I hope Ohio State wins next season to even further increase the parody in college wrestling. The more universities that are in the championship picture the better!

PSU has the ability to be a national championship team next season. They are not the favorites and it would take a pretty impressive effort but they are capable of it. PSU has cemented themselves as a perennial "in the hunt" team going forward. Similar to Iowa, MN, OK ST, where they may not always win, but they always got a shot!

For the sake of College wrestling I hope Ohio State wins next season to even further increase the parody in college wrestling. The more universities that are in the championship picture the better!

If the Lions were to not win their 5th NCAA championship, and I could pick the team who would displace the Lions I would choose Cornell. Not that I care much for the little red sweaters with their cute little c, but a non Big-10 school. A title winner from the EIWA should help to continue the growing interest in the sport.

To me Ohio state is the favorite on paper looking at their line-up IMO. Iowa is a close second probably, but they gotta wrestle better than they did this NCAA's. I think it depends on a lot of things for PSU to win again, and as a huge fan I just do not see it happening.

First if they have any chance Cael must field his best team, meaning he does not RS Zain or Mega. With Logan and Delgado being seniors, I would RS them anyway and reload for the following year. That gives Zain and Mega time to get better and gives JC the 125 spot, who I think would AA. Not sure who would take over the 141 spot.

I am huge fan of the Altons, but honestly they have not performed to their expectations for many reasons. Some controllable, and some not. Andrew hands down is one of the most talented guys I ever saw, I just really hope he can stay healthy and motivated all next year. I still think at his best he is the clear cut champ at 149. I can not see Dylan winning 157, but he should be an AA next year. Again it depends on their health and dedication. PSU really needs both of them to even have a chance.

I think Gulibon at 133 next year will be top 6. He won a few big matches this year, but he lost so many close matches too. With 133 cleaned out, Jimmy will surprise many next year. He will score way more points next year.

I would def RS Nolf, Nickal, Nevills. All 3 will start the following year easy.

Both our senior heavyweights need to really step up. At this point I am not sure if either is AA material. It be huge if one of them surprises us.

If MM does drop to 184 like some speculate, he is top 3. Even if he stays at 197 he will be top 5.

Brown still has Kokesh, Thugans, and Storley to deal with. So he looks to be top 4 at NCAA's.

Obviously Cael and the coaches know way more than me and they will have a plan. I do think PSU has a chance to win next year, but realistically it is a slim one.

Penn State won't do it.

They may have one Champion but won't have two tho may well have two in the finals.

Might get two to third place matches.

Others will AA but... bonus points will not be what they were with Ruth and Taylor and that will keep them from the top spot more than anything else.

They will be good competition for Iowa for third place.

A real run at the top spot is at least two years away.

I think losing Chance hurt them a little bit for next year and going forward obviously. They do seem like a program that has a lot of depth to slide in though. Wonder if Bo Nickal will wrestle next year and what weight. If McIntosh drops to 184 he could very well win it. They still have 3-4 potential champs. Retherford is a stretch but if he improves he'll give Stieber a run.

I really would like to see Retherford redshirt. Zain took one for the team this year and faced guys that were several years older then him. Really think he could dominate the weight class and win 3 championships after a year getting stronger and refining technique.

Of course doing this closes the door on any talk of repeating. Also, 141 is probably the thinnest weight class for PSU so I'm not sure who they put in there? Beitz was cutting a lot last year and I'm not sure he could get back down….and then do you redshirt Mega as well? It sure does raise a lot of questions.

I would RS Nico. Conaway can AA. This weight is Delgado and Garrett. The rest is a crap shoot.

Gulibon lacked one thing...horsepower. He has the skill. Strength is the reason he lost to guys like DiJulius and Richard. If he can put some man strength on he'll be tough. There's a lot of room with Ramos, Graff, Colon, Quiroga, Mango, Thorn, Mack and Morrison gone.

I would also RS Zain. If he can make the weight, Beitz can AA at 141. This weight belongs to Logie.

149 and 157 have to be the Altons for PSU. Hopefully, they can put something together if they are healthy. They have the skill. They need a gas tank. Andrew manhandled Grajales in the 1st period...and then completely gassed. Dylan I think was OK...he just was not back all the way. Anyway, they are key. If healthy and prepared 5-8 is not out of the question.

165...Garett Hammond...I see a Nickal RS...and he needs it. The weight has somewhat cleared out with Taylor, Caldwell, Monk, and Zilverberg gone. Anywhere 7-8 could be possible.

174 Matt Brown should be a high AA and could possibly win...at least 3rd with Howe and Perry gone. This weight is Storley, Brown, Evans. I have no idea what order they finish.

184 I think McCutcheon can AA. Ruth, Sheptock, Swartz and Steinhaus are gone...I think 5-8 is possible.

197 - MM should be at least 5th...still a stacked class even though Heflin is gone.

285 - Lawson has a better upside that Gingrich who's a bit steadier. For all his talent Lawson just isn't consistent and has not produced. 285 clears out a lot of AA's-Nelson, McClure, Chalfant, Johnson. Who knows?