Sign in to follow this  
armspin

Aliyev vs Goygeerev

Possibly the most exciting match Ive seen this year. Goygeerev keeps trying to tie up and Aliyev just blasts underneath. He doesnt get tired either, scrambing for the ful 6 minutes. Also hits a huge throw. Final score was 12-5 Aliyev, probably could have had the tech if the refs didnt keep scoring his 4s as 2s. Seriously, watch this match!

The most exciting match this year?....not.

C'mon AP, that was a pretty wild match - lots of scoring and attempts. I'll take that type of match every time.

As far as the Reece match, it looked to me that Reece got the big lead, then shut it down to sit on that lead. Obviously it didn't work.

Yes, probably very exciting to Iranian fans to have such a big come from behind win. To me, that match was way more frustrating than exciting, but then again, I'm showing my American bias here. (I'm still fixing the hole that I punched in the wall when Reece lost..... Just kidding.)

Watching his matches this morning Goygereev looked well scouted and extremely vulnerable.

Now that he's scouted he's going to have a tough time. Gave up his legs way too much. Guys wouldn't post their right hand so no more shrug. I'm sure Goygereev & his coaches will make the necessary adjustments. But even in the semis Perpelita was all over his legs.

Needs to lower his stance. He acknowledged this afterwards though.

It's important to note though that he lost to a very good wrestler who has really underachieved overall. I remember the AZE coaches back in 2011 pretty much picking a name out of a hat between him and Asgarov to be the World Rep. Aliev also beat Goygereev within the last 15 months or so but subsequently losing to him.