Sign in to follow this  
CollegeWrestling4444

Charles quits ASU

To paraphrase Intermat's T.R. Foley, this isn't anything to be happy about.

I don't feel any sympathy -- or much anyway -- with football and basketball coaches who get the axe when they're not performing because it's such big business and you know going in that it comes with the territory.

But to import the same take-no-prisoners approach to non-revenue sports like wrestling strikes me as a bad fit.

That said, ASU absolutely cratered -- one NQ, and that an at large bid. So, not much you can really say.

But I remember ASU fans totally dumping on the previous coaching regime and only having two AA's. Not that the previous staff lit the world on fire, but everyone was talking about how Charles would turn everything around. Seems the problem cannot be solely the coaches who have been brought in (unless we believe all the coaches have been incompetent).

Both Thom Ortiz and Shawn Charles proved to be incompetent head coaches. ASU has a nice facility. The Sunkist Kids Wrestling Academy is developing some good young wrestlers who've been leaving Arizona. Melvin Douglas coaches that club. One product Tristan Moran moved to Stillwater this year and won the 6A state championship. He said Melvin started coaching him in the 5th grade. Garrett Ryan a 285 pounder moved attended Wyoming Seminary his senior year. He's at the OTC this year and will be at Columbia next year. Last summer he beat Brooks Black at the Junior World Team Trials. Combined with that resource and being next to CA it won't be hard for a good coach to build the program backup to a competitive level in 3-4 years.

Both Thom Ortiz and Shawn Charles proved to be incompetent head coaches. ASU has a nice facility. The Sunkist Kids Wrestling Academy is developing some good young wrestlers who've been leaving Arizona. Melvin Douglas coaches that club. One product Tristan Moran moved to Stillwater this year and won the 6A state championship. He said Melvin started coaching him in the 5th grade. Garrett Ryan a 285 pounder moved attended Wyoming Seminary his senior year. He's at the OTC this year and will be at Columbia next year. Last summer he beat Brooks Black at the Junior World Team Trials. Combined with that resource and being next to CA it won't be hard for a good coach to build the program backup to a competitive level in 3-4 years.

Any idea if Douglas has any interest in returning to head the program where he did what many felt couldn't be done, bring the title to the west?

So .... My question: Is the school and admin "Wresting friendly"? I thought they were. One would think that recruiting would be pretty easy, and I think their facilities are pretty nice. This could be an opportunity to get a fairly young motivated new coach? Hate to see guys leave, yet I did wonder a bit during the Pac 12 tournament ... "Were is Arizona" ....

Our wrestling program has enjoyed success as one of the premier programs in the country and we are intent on regaining that status going forward.”

What about Bryan Snyder as a head coach? He has done tremendous work at Nebraska (Burroughs, Suehflon, Green) & just seems to have the look of a leader. Wasn't he also at ASU previously as well? Plus, the dude has a PhD, which means that he has a head on his shoulders. These struggling programs need to bring in leaders, not just big name coaches who have been everywhere.

What about Bryan Snyder as a head coach? He has done tremendous work at Nebraska (Burroughs, Suehflon, Green) & just seems to have the look of a leader. Wasn't he also at ASU previously as well? Plus, the dude has a PhD, which means that he has a head on his shoulders. These struggling programs need to bring in leaders, not just big name coaches who have been everywhere.

+1 for Snyder

He's the kind of guy who deserves to run his own program.

+1 for Snyder

He's the kind of guy who deserves to run his own program.

Agree he's a good candidate, but is he really going to leave? He's the associate head coach, and Manning is getting long in the tooth. Nebraska is a pretty plum job, even better than ASU, in my opinion, and it's his alma mater. I don't see it.

I was around the ASU program when Bobby Douglas and Lee Roy Smith were the head coaches. So I think I'm fairly well qualified to give an opinion.

ASU needs someone who is good at marketing the program, and especially in recruiting. There is a good facility, and the funding while not at the best schools is better than any of the CA schools. Here are the one's I'd want considered.

Cody Sanderson - from Utah, and he and his brothers used to attend camps at ASU when Douglas coached. He knows how the top program in the country does things. If he got the job I'm sure Cael would schedule a dual meet at ASU to help his brother out and it would be a fairly easy trip for Cael's parents to come down for the dual.

Bryan Snyder - he was an assistant at ASU, and Manning isn't going to retire soon. He needs to get a head coaching position before he gets much older. From those who knew him at his time at ASU speak very highly of him.

Zeke Jones didn't get interviewed after Smith was fired by Gene Smith. I'd like to see Zeke stay at USA Wrestling as he has made significant improvements in the freestyle program. He may also be a candidate at West Virginia since he was the top assistant when that program was good.

I know some have mentioned Sammie Henson, who I like personally, but I have a disagreement with his coaching philosophy. He teaches don't get taken down, get out on bottom, and ride with a half nelson. Tyler Caldwell and Drake Houdashelt were both coached by Sammie. The lack of offense on their feet cost both the chance to win national titles. Granted they were very solid wrestlers. ASU needs someone who will teach an exciting brand of offense. Under Bobby Douglas and Lee Roy Smith there were several wrestlers Dan St. John, Eddie Urbano, Zeke Jones, Marcus Mollica, Ray Miller, and Eric Larkin who were exciting to watch. You can't have guys who play it close and win 3-2 and expect to draw big crowds. Penn State has wrestlers who score a lot of points and put their opponents on their backs, which is why I like Cody Sanderson.

Art Martori will have a significant amount of imput. He is very loyal to guys who wrestled for Sunkist, but the last two have stunk. I hope he listens to the right people this time. Cael Sanderson was a Sunkist wrestler, so maybe Cody would be favorable for Art to want.

I'd want to know who the assistant coaches would be. Could Cody Sanderson bring Jake Varner with him. Jake's from the Bakersfield-Fresno area, which is the strongest area for wrestling in CA. Plus he'd be a great big man coach. Chris Pendleton at Wyoming is from Lemoore, he'd be a name in CA and has excellent big man skills.

I think Kyle Dake would be a great choice...lots of name recognition and although I don't care for Koll much I think Koll can help him learn how to financially keep the program afloat. I know he is still competing internationally but I only think that creates an opportunity for him to hire a head assistant with more experience to relieve some of the pressure as he trains. But big name should be able to land some big recruits.

Snyder would be awesome for ASU. He's young, has a great reputation right now with Nebraska, which would help with recruiting big time.

What about someone like Erik Guerrero? He seems to have all the tools for a head coaching job, and would have the facilities/financial backing to run a top notch program. The proximity to California would be great, without actually being in CA.

I know ASU has Villareal from CA (3x champ) coming in next year. What other recruits are heading to ASU this year?

I'd want to know who the assistant coaches would be. Could Cody Sanderson bring Jake Varner with him. Jake's from the Bakersfield-Fresno area, which is the strongest area for wrestling in CA.

Sorry for nit-picking here, but Varner is from Bakersfield. Fresno is 110 miles away from Bakersfield. You could refer to the area around and between Bakersfield and Fresno as the "Central Valley," but not the Bakersfield-Fresno area.

On topic: I'd love to see ASU get decent coaches, and I'd love for Bryan Snyder to get his own program. Kyle Dake as a head coach would lose every dual meet to better teams.

I read somewhere else that ASU's coaching decision was made before Charles resigned. The source is not exactly reliable, but who knows?

That said, if I am ASU, I am trying to throw BIG BUCKS to Tim Flynn AND Cliff Moore to take over the program. They can and have developed that east coast talent; have a reach to the Midwest states through Moore's Iowa roots (Shawn Bunch coming from Kansas never hurts) and then the west coast schools are built in, but need to be cultivated even more.

"Mr. Baumgartner? Mr. Martori is on line 1."

Got to give him credit, the program was dropped on his watch, then fund raised, & brought back. That was an atrocious decision by the then AD Lipstick Love.

Also the two National Champs in Philly was a great accomplishment.

I wonder if Charles will wait around and see if the Fresno program is brought back?

How about Schwab as next ASU coach?