Sign in to follow this  
CollegeWrestling4444

Charles quits ASU

Who are the most successful wrestlers in ASU history? Molllica and St John. Where are they from? Ohio. Who was their most successful coach? Bobby Douglas. Where's he from? Ohio. Don't know why but the Buckeye state has been a boon to ASU. J. Jaggers is quietly doing a fine job in Columbus. He's someone they should look at.

Got to give him credit, the program was dropped on his watch, then fund raised, & brought back. That was an atrocious decision by the then AD Lipstick Love.

Also the two National Champs in Philly was a great accomplishment.

I wonder if Charles will wait around and see if the Fresno program is brought back?

How about Schwab as next ASU coach?

Thom Ortiz was still the coach when the wrestling program at ASU was deep-sixed for those ten days.

I think Mark Perry should be at the top of the list. He can coach and recruit, plus he has ties to both Iowa and Oklahoma State. It'd be a question of Illinois saying over their dead body and then prying him from their cold dead fingers.

ASU's best move would be to get Matt Azevedo from Drexel. Excellent young coach with several years of coaching experience. Former Sun Devil with deep roots in California, Nevada and Arizona. He could recruit the heck out of California and create a west coast powerhouse.

As an Arizona State graduate, I fear they will find a way to screw this up. Even while going to ASU, I still followed the Gophers more. I would really enjoy having another team to cheer for, but I'm skeptical.

ASU needs to make a bold hire:

Kyle Dake Head

Jake Herbert Head Assistant

I think ASU needs to absolutely NOT make a bold hire. Kyle Dake would be a bold hire. He has been out of college for 1 year and spent the past year as a volunteer assistant. How is he qualified to run a former National Championship program, especially while he is still competing? The answer: he is not. Doesn't mean in a few years that he will be ready, but not at this stage.

ASU needs a proven leader to get things turned around. The last thing they need to do is experiment with an unproven coach.

ASU can't hire a guy as a head coach seriously competing on the Senior level. That's a fact. One of those guys could be an assistant at best.

Being able to wrestle and coach wrestling is about #10 on the list of things I'd be looking for in a head coach, so number of NCAA Champions coached or any other wrestling accomplishment is a tie-breaker at best.

ASU is probably the only place that it could work with Dake. He would have Sunkist as a support for his training and honestly he has a big hill to climb in beating burroughs. That is while you have you head assistant doing most of the heavy work but it is going to be tough to recruit guys based on Penn State and traditions of Iowa, Ok State and some of what is going on at other programs such as Ohio State and UNI.

ASU can't hire a guy as a head coach seriously competing on the Senior level. That's a fact. One of those guys could be an assistant at best.

Being able to wrestle and coach wrestling is about #10 on the list of things I'd be looking for in a head coach, so number of NCAA Champions coached or any other wrestling accomplishment is a tie-breaker at best.

Lots of truth right here.

Kyle Dake can wrestle, we know that. What does he know about dealing with donors, scheduling, marketing his program, motivating his team, managing his assistants, working with administration, evaluating talent, recruiting, program funding, etc., etc. ????

There is a LOT more to being a head coach than wrestling. Actually, the wrestling part is very minimal compared to all the other administrative/program work. That's why you have young assistants and volunteer assistants in the room.

Dake may end up being a good head coach some day but I'm guessing he does not have the required experience or skills to be a head coach at a major program right now.

Just want to clarify that when I stated that ASU and WV could benefit from signing a big name, I mean a big name head coach candidate (ie Eggum, Hahn, Flynn, Pritzlaf, etc.) not a big name athlete (Burroughs, Dake, Taylor, etc.)

ASU needs to make a bold hire:

Kyle Dake Head

Jake Herbert Head Assistant

I think ASU needs to absolutely NOT make a bold hire. Kyle Dake would be a bold hire. He has been out of college for 1 year and spent the past year as a volunteer assistant. How is he qualified to run a former National Championship program, especially while he is still competing? The answer: he is not. Doesn't mean in a few years that he will be ready, but not at this stage.

ASU needs a proven leader to get things turned around. The last thing they need to do is experiment with an unproven coach.

All of the assistant coaches are unproven. Gable was unproven as a head coach before he became head coach and Iowa went on their run. I believe since Sunkist in AZ he could get the high level of training he needs as an athlete but his pipeline to the NY $$ and his name recognition among athlete as being a 4x creates a very unique and possible formula for long term success. I could be wrong but Burroughs plans to compete for at least another 2 years and I don't believe Dake beats him. So I think the potential benefits far outweigh the risk providing that you have a solid Head assistant. May be a mute point if the rumors are true that they already have someone in mind to hire. BTW, Cael won a bronze as head coach of Penn State so it can be done.

"Cael won a bronze as head coach of Penn State so it can be done."

After seven years off in order to devote himself to coaching, on short training focused on himself, and then abandoned the thought of the Olympics the next year. He'd seem more like an example that shows it's not really a good idea, even for a world medalist/champion. HC is a full time job, as is legitimately trying to win at the world level.

It's time to stop taking this Dake talk seriously. The more it's discussed, the more ridiculous the person who suggested it sounds. There are dozens, if not more, of better candidates who actually make sense. Don't disrespect what it takes to be a head wrestling coach by continuing to push for someone with so little experience.

Also, stop using Gable as an example. First off, 1976 is a far cry from 2014 in terms of what it means to coach college. More importantly, when Gable took over, he had four years of coaching already under his belt. Dake has less than one, and as a volunteer at that.

It's time to stop taking this Dake talk seriously. The more it's discussed, the more ridiculous the person who suggested it sounds. There are dozens, if not more, of better candidates who actually make sense. Don't disrespect what it takes to be a head wrestling coach by continuing to push for someone with so little experience.

Also, stop using Gable as an example. First off, 1976 is a far cry from 2014 in terms of what it means to coach college. More importantly, when Gable took over, he had four years of coaching already under his belt. Dake has less than one, and as a volunteer at that.

+1

I think having Dake on your staff would be huge but not as head coach yet. I'd love to see Damion Hahn/Bryan Snyder bringing Dake/Burroughs on as full time paid assistants being a genius move for ASU. Guys who are young and ready to run a program along with the big names who are proven winners not to mention a college known for it's beautiful women and fun (could be a distraction though). It'd be great for wrestling to help turn a west coast team into a powerhouse again

Agreed. If the new guy can get Dake to come along as one of his assistants, definitely do it. He would be great as a workout partner and his name is one of a few that would actually draw recruits. With the right boss, he would be well on his way to becoming a great coach, and he would have the support for his competitive career.

The reason for Dake as an assistant are even more relevant for Varner. Varner has a gold medal and is a "name" in California, specifically in the Central Valley where he wrestled at for Clovis. For ASU to be revived it needs to recruit heavily CA. Granted Ohio was a very good area to recruit during Douglas's time. Tom Ryan has changed the dynamics of recruiting kids outbof there, just like Cael has in PA.