Sign in to follow this  
Roadkill

Another Coaching Opening

With the right coach ASU can easily be a top 10 team consistently.

The problem is this is said about at least 20 programs... they can't all be top ten even with great coaching and recruiting. There's only 10 spots available in the top 10.

With the right coach ASU can easily be a top 10 team consistently.

The problem is this is said about at least 20 programs... they can't all be top ten even with great coaching and recruiting. There's only 10 spots available in the top 10.

True, that comment is thrown around a lot but ASU actually is one program that it fits.

-Large athletic budget when compared to other western schools. $58 million overall, $1 million on wrestling, I believe the data Tirapelle posted shows that is the 12th largest wrestling budget and since ASU is a state school.

-- better facilities than many athletic programs, especially western schools with wrestling.

-large state university. Easier overall academic admissions

- National name recognition

- Actually have a successful competition history

I don't expect them to be a top 10 fixture and title challenger like Iowa, Ok St or Minnesota but they should be consistently challenging to finish in the top 10. Past 10 years only two top 10 finishes and one of those was only because Bubba Jenkins transferred to ASU.

Why would Pritts deserve the job? He has been on the sinking ship at ASU this whole time also. What light weights has he brought along at ASU? Head coach gets let go / resigns for poor performance and we hire his assistant? I'm not saying he is not a good guy but just because you have been at it for a while doesn't mean you are deserving.

Why would Pritts deserve the job? He has been on the sinking ship at ASU this whole time also. What light weights has he brought along at ASU? Head coach gets let go / resigns for poor performance and we hire his assistant? I'm not saying he is not a good guy but just because you have been at it for a while doesn't mean you are deserving.

I respect your opinion, but knowing Lee personally and having been in his unenviable position (working under an incompetent head man), I can truthfully say that bringing in/not bringing in lightweights can't fall solely on him. You can be the greatest mat coach and recruiter in the world, but if word gets out that the head man is a doofus you're sunk. He was a very good recruiter at Missouri and Old Dominion. He's not as bad as you make him out to be. On another thread Brian Snyder and Casey Cunningham are mentioned and I think they are good candidates as well.

List the best candidates ...

--- I agree with Bryan Snyder being a top choice for ANY program, but I think he's a diehard for his alma mater and will not leave as he's next in line

--- Is it time to split up the Brands brothers? Would Terry separate himself?

--- Minnesota has some depth in the asst coaching ranks as well?

--- John Hughes has been hanging around as asst for some time, maybe it's time for him to go west?

Any program needs a source of funding, PSU got a donor to bring in Cael --- ASU could easily buy a head coach *( note - as I get older, I'm sick of the snow *) --- selling that campus to recruits has got to be easy?

Eric Guerrero & Brandon Eggum would be good fits for Arizona State. If they are interested. Lots of talent in California & in the west. Both these guys come form great programs and have great resume's.

Casey Cunningham, Damion Hahn, & Joe Heskett would be great fits for West Virginia.