Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Question for J Bryant

You know that Jason Bryant doesn't work for USA Wrestling anymore right? He works for TheOpenMat.com.

Yes.

He is an announcer for the US Open so I thought her might have insight on the coverage.

He is also a writer so I thought he might know of any preview articles that have been published (or are in the works) on any of the sites. I could not find any on my own -- at least none that previewed the weights and the wrestlers.

Right. I get what you are saying. Out of courtesy though usually when you have a question for a writer you would ask them on the site that they write for not another site. TheOpenMat international forum is not that busy and I'm sure they would love the additional traffic. Just my two cents.

Also, the event is two weeks out. I would expect to see some more stuff week of the event when they have a better idea of who will actually be competing and at what weight classes.

Right. I get what you are saying. Out of courtesy though usually when you have a question for a writer you would ask them on the site that they write for not another site. TheOpenMat international forum is not that busy and I'm sure they would love the additional traffic. Just my two cents.

Also, the event is two weeks out. I would expect to see some more stuff week of the event when they have a better idea of who will actually be competing and at what weight classes.

I didn't even know they had one. I will see if I can find it.

Your second point brings up a broader subject. I agree with your comment/observations, but I think that is a problem in the promotion of the sport. We all know wrestling struggles, so everything (within reason) that can be done to help its promotion, should be done. This includes the wrestlers themselves. They should be willing to state their intentions regarding attending events like the US Open (and at what weight). They should be willing to do this at least 4 weeks in advance. If something happens and they cannot make it, so be it. But 90% of the guys know at least 4 weeks in advance if they are going to make it (and at what weight). They could even use a system like: COMMITTED, LIKELY, 50/50, UNLIKELY, OUT. This could help promoters build up thinks like Dake vs Taylor, Oliver vs Metcalf, etc etc.

I'm doing some sideline work for TV and some event coverage when I arrive. As far as TheOpenMat.com forum -- there's a link to the forum on the navigation menu on the top of the page -- that menu also follows the page when it scrolls, so if you can't find the TOM forum, you're not looking very hard. Not trying to come off snarky, but it's pretty hard to miss.

TheMat.com has always done previews of the U.S. Open in the week or so preceding the event. Registration deadline isn't until April 15. Director of Communications & Special Projects is Gary Abbott -- he should be the guy you're bouncing these questions to.

There's also a pretty large folkstyle event going on in Iowa that might be taking up some time from the small communications staff at USAW. Four weeks from the event is the NCAA Division I championships ... you realize that news would get buried that week, right?

As far as the athletes go, you can follow them on Twitter and probably find out what they're planning to do. They are under no requirement to do anything other than register.

Do you waste time writing a preview and cover athletes who you don't even know will be attending? Not a good use of time to spend time working on a story with a bunch of what-ifs.

If you've got suggestions for how USAW communications operates, then I'd suggest asking them to the people who can answer. There is a staff directory on the home page of themat.com. I haven't worked there in two years, but all I can offer on this subject is previews have been run in the past several years leading up to the event. I don't believe that has, or will, change. The first release with some event build-up was on Friday. Expect a push starting Monday (I'd assume).

It's always been the case with the U.S. Open -- it's an open, so anyone and everyone can enter. The World Team Trials are different, because they know who has qualified weeks in advance, so there's usually a bigger buildup for that than the open.

I also believe it's flawed to believe a staff of three can track down a few hundred wrestlers per style and get their intentions. They have day jobs that don't always pertain to one singular event.

There you go getting all defensive again. In elementary school, at least in PA, we used to get graded on soft skills, as well as traditional subjects (Math, Science, etc). One of the soft skills was "Accepts Constructive Criticism Well". Scoop, I'm wiling to be you received an UNSATISFACTORY in this category. Now don't go getting all bent out of shape about this comment, it just ball busting. Relax and go enjoy a Slurpy at the Mall of America.

My comment was not specific to TheOpenMat or any other individual/specific news outlet. It was a general comment for the collective wrestling news organizations, as well as the event promoters themselves and the wrestlers (especially the top wrestlers).

Don't understand your issue. I explained what YOU could do, where you could direct your questions and the problems with the suggestions you presented.

If you don't like the response, that's fine. It's hardly defensive. It's just the truth and how things work. If you don't want to accept the response, don't ask the question.

And it's Slurpee ... and I don't believe Minnesota has 7-11's, much to my chagrin.

Have a good weekend.

You can get an Icee at Target though and in my opinion those are better than Slurpee's. Absolutely love those things. Fill your cup, walk around Target wandering aimlessly while accidentally buying $300 worth of stuff you didn't know you needed and then fill it up on the way out.

You can get an Icee at Target though and in my opinion those are better than Slurpee's. Absolutely love those things. Fill your cup, walk around Target wandering aimlessly while accidentally buying $300 worth of stuff you didn't know you needed and then fill it up on the way out.

+1 Best post in thread. :)