Sign in to follow this  
Zelph

Gable, Cael and too many are not veterans

J Robinson is a Veteran. Lloyd Keaser is a veteran. Dremiel Byers is still on active duty. Some other great wrestlers are veterans. A few in the ranks of athletes in combat and martial sports as well as sports in general have served their nation in Peach Corps and other volunteer service. Many other nations have had high numbers of their top athletes in national service.

Why do so many of our top wrestlers, football players and others choose to avoid serving their nation in the Military?

Dan Gable could have served and wrestled both just as J Robinson did. John Smith could have done so. Cael Sanderson could have done so. Cael's story is made sadder by his choice to wrestle rather than serve his Church on a two year mission in addition to failing to serve in the military.

These and so many others choose to avoid serving their nation yet are part of a martial/combat sport.

We see it in football even more. All the comparisons to combat are ludicrous and laughable. Safe and sound with rules and padding and trainers and physicians - so many especially at the higher levels of all sports compare themselves to soldiers and sailors while running from service and trying to salve their conscience by telling one and all they are 'representing their country' this way.

Sorry boys and girls, you can serve your nation better by choosing to serve, military or peace corps or similar - and still compete in your chosen sport. For many the maturity gained in service will only make them better - in their sport as well as in life.

Why do so many Wrestlers fail their nation this way?

Before some of you self righteous start jumping on me and trying to rationalize your failure to serve, I am Veteran of the U.S. Military - having enlisted and served. Lost it as career due to injuries that are permanent. Also a former LDS Missionary - having served two years on a mormon mission before I enlisted in the U.S. Military. Also a former wrestler in College before and after the mission though after the Military I did not go back to wrestling but worked to gain a MS in the Biological Sciences and raise a family. Yes, my kids are veterans as well.

Before some of you self righteous start jumping on me and trying to rationalize your failure to serve, I am Veteran of the U.S. Military - having enlisted and served. Lost it as career due to injuries that are permanent. Also a former LDS Missionary - having served two years on a mormon mission before I enlisted in the U.S. Military. Also a former wrestler in College before and after the mission though after the Military I did not go back to wrestling but worked to gain a MS in the Biological Sciences and raise a family. Yes, my kids are veterans as well.

Maybe because in some instances their Government has failed them first.

Military isn't for everyone.....leave it at that.

Thank you for your service in the military.

Missing the opportunity to wrestle in college because of a mission for religion I question. imo - Cael was right not to serve those two years for a church and wrestle.

I applaud and appreciate those that serve our country, but I do not judge those who do not serve. It is not for everyone. Thanks to those that serve, so I may have the freedoms that I do.

Wasn't Cael released from the 2 year mission because he would be serving the church better through the attention he and the church would receive by continuing to wrestle? Same as midshipman David Robinson being released from service right after receiving a top flight million dollar education on the country's tab?

J Robinson is a Veteran. Lloyd Keaser is a veteran. Dremiel Byers is still on active duty. Some other great wrestlers are veterans. A few in the ranks of athletes in combat and martial sports as well as sports in general have served their nation in Peach Corps and other volunteer service. Many other nations have had high numbers of their top athletes in national service.

Why do so many of our top wrestlers, football players and others choose to avoid serving their nation in the Military?

Dan Gable could have served and wrestled both just as J Robinson did. John Smith could have done so. Cael Sanderson could have done so. Cael's story is made sadder by his choice to wrestle rather than serve his Church on a two year mission in addition to failing to serve in the military.

These and so many others choose to avoid serving their nation yet are part of a martial/combat sport.

We see it in football even more. All the comparisons to combat are ludicrous and laughable. Safe and sound with rules and padding and trainers and physicians - so many especially at the higher levels of all sports compare themselves to soldiers and sailors while running from service and trying to salve their conscience by telling one and all they are 'representing their country' this way.

Sorry boys and girls, you can serve your nation better by choosing to serve, military or peace corps or similar - and still compete in your chosen sport. For many the maturity gained in service will only make them better - in their sport as well as in life.

Ah yes, the glory of serving in North Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan. What could be more honorable than becoming a casualty in one of our pointless wars.

I googled the question and this came up from a thread somewhere about 6 years ago which likely means numbers are even lower now..

The latest information shows 24.6 million US citizens are veterans of military service which is less then 10% of the US population. The number of combat veterans is harder to find but probably less then 25% of the veterans ever saw combat so probably 2 to 3 percent maximum of the US population has seen combat in the military. . As the Korean and World War Two veterans age and dimish, as are the Vietnam veterans, then the number will fall to less then that. Contractors and DOD personnel may or may not know anything about the military; they could be the secretary to a manager in an office and contractors could would include the people in the mess hall who cook so why they might have a knowledge of the military it would be extremely limitted without prior service-A veteran is some one who served in the military and not other groups.

The question was number of vets not the number of people in the military now-that is less then 1% of the population.

I like the direction of the initial post, but it doesn't go far enough.

I notice Gable, Pat Smith, and Cael Sanderson also have never worked as librarians. The great principals of freedom upon which this very nation was established can be found in the great works of literature from authors such as Thoreau and Thomas Payne, or even more current writers like J.K. Rowling and James Patterson.

If we didn't have these curators of great literature standing tall as our stewards of freedom, this great nation would crumble into a cesspool of barbarians watching TV or playing on the internet.

My only hope is that Dake, Taylor, Ruth and Steiber see the error of their forefathers and head straight to their local library to volunteer in honor of God and country.

Wasn't Cael released from the 2 year mission because he would be serving the church better through the attention he and the church would receive by continuing to wrestle?

---

you may have a point... perhaps the church was better served by Cael being on the Wheaties box than doing one of those time consuming missions

Probably because wrestling taught me discipline, responsibility, respect, fitness, camaraderie etc etc etc. I did not need to join the military to gain those qualities. I also learned to respect other's decisions to choose to or not to serve in the military.

You getting paid to do a job in the military does not make you a better person. Those that signed up and fought for a worthy cause during WW2 were heroes and were definitely better than you. Not that you will hear any of those vets admit it, as they learned about humility in the service.

First, thank you for your service. We all appreciate the sacrifice that our men and women in uniform have made for this country. I sincerely hope that you can fully recover from your injuries, both physical and mental.

Second, there are many ways to serve your country, your state, your town,and your faith. Military service is certainly one of those ways, but many other people serve our country, and humanity, in many other ways that are equally valuable. These people have not failed. Faulting others for not making the same choices that you have is your rationalization to cope with the trauma you've endured.