Sign in to follow this  
Zelph

Gable, Cael and too many are not veterans

Zelph is right on the money. Cael, Gable and Smith are truly poor human beings and cowards. They have done little if anything to help our society. I do not think any of them have been a plumber, either! Imagine that! Thanks for your service, Zelph but I too served in actual combat, as did many in my family, going back to the early years of our nation. It is mathematically stupid to think all, or even any large percentage can serve in a military capacity, or are even equipped to to it. Why you are zoning in on milirary service and PEACE CORPS is beyond me. God made different people with different talents, spiritual gifts, personalities amd temperaments to do different things in life. Get a grip.

for most "vetrans" war just means hanging out in another country for a little while hoping you dont actually have to shot anyone. the fact that your even mentioning gable and cael arent veterans proves to everyone you are more of a "fan" of our sport and not actually a wrestler. the sacrifices that you have to make to win an ncaa title isnt something your brain could possibly comprehend, but it is insulting that your so ignorant to compare it to something like "war" or a "church mission". Call of duty is harder than actually being in the military. the hardest part about being in the military is struggling to not mention that your in the military all the time as a way to put yourself above everyone else. the only part of the military comparable to d1 wrestling is spec ops units, and even being a seal isnt as tough as winning a national title.

" the only part of the military comparable to d1 wrestling is spec ops units, and even being a seal isnt as tough as winning a national title."

This pisses me off! NCAA wrestlers train their asses off to reach the goal of being on the podium. Members of the military train there asses off to stay alive and acomplish the mission. if an NCAA wrestler's training fails him and he fails to reach his goal, he may live the rest of his life doubting his decisions, If a member of the military fails, he might not have a rest of his life to live.

I don't really agree with the thread starters thoughts on military service but some of you guys need a dose of life and death reality.

Serving in the military isn't for everybody. It's just that simple. I can think of a few guys who were national champions who decided to serve. Josh Glenn from American became a Navy SEAL. Victor Carazo who was a D2 champion just enlisted in the Army. I remember when I took the ASVAB exam a few years ago and I scored very well on it. One of the guys in our group scored an 18. He was almost in tears because the USMC wouldn't take somebody with scores that low. I asked him why he wanted to serve so badly while we were sitting in the lobby waiting to be released, and he told me that he felt that he would wind up dead or in jail if he didn't become a Marine. Those aren't the kind of guys who the military pursues generally, but they are the majority of people who walk into a recruiter's office. I know 2 of my high school teammates served in the Navy and another still serves in the national guard today. Lots of guys just don't want to. Not because they aren't patriotic, but they don't see the military as a fitting career choice.

It'd be like wondering why Rick Sanders, Ben Askren or Ray Brinzer never served in the military. If you'd ever met either of them you'd probably be able to figure it out pretty quick.

I have not said they are terrible people but they have failed their nation. When of age they should have served. Gable was of age during the VietNam era. He could have enlisted, served and come back to wrestling. Cael was missionary age before he started wrestling Varsity. He could have done what every mormon boy is expected to do - serve a mission then come home and pursue his wrestling.

They and so many others Chose to take the advantages their nation provides without enlisting to give back. Just like John Wayne - way after the fact they come out as good guys while the real deal served. Front line or support, they served. They went where they were sent and served. These men and women did their duty whether in the military or Peace Corps - they stepped up rather than hiding from responsibility.

All these martial sports and so many won't man up and serve their country.

Sports is not like combat, not even close. All the comparisons are laughable as calling bowling a sport.

I have not said they are terrible people but they have failed their nation. When of age they should have served. Gable was of age during the VietNam era. He could have enlisted, served and come back to wrestling. Cael was missionary age before he started wrestling Varsity. He could have done what every mormon boy is expected to do - serve a mission then come home and pursue his wrestling.

They and so many others Chose to take the advantages their nation provides without enlisting to give back. Just like John Wayne - way after the fact they come out as good guys while the real deal served. Front line or support, they served. They went where they were sent and served. These men and women did their duty whether in the military or Peace Corps - they stepped up rather than hiding from responsibility.

All these martial sports and so many won't man up and serve their country.

Sports is not like combat, not even close. All the comparisons are laughable as calling bowling a sport.

That's why this is such a great country. You can choose to serve if you want. You can choose to believe in God or to not at all. Also Gable likely would have gotten a deferment since he was in college during Vietnam and didn't get drafted. One of the greatest athlete in the 20th century refused to fight in Vietnam. I see him as a hero for it. He did not want to enlist to fight. As he so nicely put it "No Viet Cong ever called me N*gger!" He had a moral objection to fighting what was not only a failure of US foreign policy but militarily a disaster from beginning to end, fraught with all kinds of problems.

Frankly some people don't see any added value to enlisting. I enlisted and signed my contract but was in an accident which caused them to reject me for service. Should I use a false identity and try again because I'm not doing enough? It's people like you that bother me. Because you are an absolutist. It HAS to be your view, no other. You don't take into consideration that with our country's great freedoms, there are people who have a religion that forbids military service. There are people who physically or psychologically wouldn't last. Would you want somebody who is going to break psychologically with their hands on a weapon? They put me through several evaluations when I was enlisting. I know that weeded out people who probably said their only reason for joining was to kill ragheads or something else equally as stupid. (A guy in my group told us that was why he was joining and wasn't seen again after the psych eval).

Your argument is like saying that everybody should wrestle. While I agree with the positive benefits of it, it just simply isn't for everyone. You might see a guy who physically maybe he can handle it, but breaks down mentally at any sign of adversity and that's it. Other people no matter what just won't be very good at it or enjoy it.

It sounds like you hate freedom so therefore you hate America.