Sign in to follow this  
DiMaria

Jesse Delgado Needs Our Help - Vote People

well.....Delgado put himself in a tough position when, after the finals match, he said " I don't care if people like they way I wrestle. If you don't like it.....don't watch." Or words to that effect.

Man I hated hearing those words from him........... his style is exactly the problem with wrestling today. Stall and hope the ref will bale him out with stalemates.

Not to mention telling fans not to watch the sport is the dumbest thing I have heard a wrestler say, and we can say some DUMB stuff. So..no I won't vote for him.

Well, I'm a huge fan of Jesse. Last year after his first title, I was invited to the Illinois after party. I believe he is an amazing young man. Very articulate, thoughtful, intelligent, and in my opinion, he is a Grand Master Chess Player amid a large group of very good checker players...I guess it's not cool to say this, but I think his style is waaaaaay more aggressive than some of your bullies that never shoot that you all actually believe are aggressive. I'm thankful that someone doesn't fit the mold of many of you, because that mold sucks/inhales/blows/. Let's just say, your sumo matches aren't the most intriguing to me. I'd give him an award for best game plan/most impressive strategy of the tournament if I were the boss.

One thing I believe in is loyalty and I'm shocked that some of you would fail to support a wrestler in this type of vote because you're critical of his style. In most instances, it's sour grapes because he beat your guy and rather than appreciate his skill, you whine about his methods of winning.

Who cares! He's a wrestler. He works his butt off in a sport that struggles for relevancy and attention outside it's small group of hardcore adherents. Outside of Flos stupidity in criticizing ESPN, the attitudes of some of you towards people you should admire and appreciate is on an equal level of self defeating ridiculousness.

If you don't vote for Delgado, please go to the www. PDP.com forum. PDP.com is the forum for permanently dissatisfied pussies.

Shoot, I'm still shocked when studs like Evans step over a whizzer and score...ala Kendle Cross. The defensive "mini matches" are fascinating. Yes, they usually get away with going to a "stalemate at worst" position for a while, but then techniques and series evolve from that epicenter, to some of the most amazing moments in the tournament. In the beginning, most in our group hated this defense because our feeling at the time was that the wrestlers using that strategy were simply going for the stale mate. Then like they always do, the coaches/athletes figured out a defense to the defense, and then an offense to the defense. Now when wrestlers go to the "snakes" position they definitely are planning to score, as it evolved several years ago to the point that coming out the back door for a score in particular had made a huge impact on those types of scoring positions. Just a few years later the old dive between their legs scramble position was all the rave...this year, not so much. Guys are getting stuck there and the risk/reward has evolved back into the favor of the offensive wrestler. Please understand that your favorite wrestlers not being able to win with a thirty year old style is not anything new. I would like to believe that I'm not the only old timer on here that has had to learn to appreciate evolving strategies and styles. In the olden days, you could get multiple points for riding more than 1 minute. I believe there was actually a time, when it was considered impressive to hold a man down flat on his stomach, unable to escape. Now, it's vogue to LAY on your stomach, which to me at least is way more defensive/annoying than the scrambles witnessed in OKC. Until the early 70's you could hold a man down with his heel trapped on his butt and fish for wrists for a long freaking time. Maybe a whole minute. I will never think it is more impressive to lay on your stomach for a minute, than for someone to hold you on your stomach for a minute, yet I understand that rule has evolved, if that's the correct adjective. The "style" that dominated the 80's was awesome. IMO that style would have retarded the development of the amazing scrambles which have evolved. These guys may have been reluctant to develop the action/reaction sequences we see now, if they got penalized for going to those positions. I know many think that would be mo-betta, but not me. I like the direction the sport is going.

I think I only see one poster stating they didn't appreciate Jesse's style and efforts to win his second. I love to watch him shoot and score nearly every time. Last season he was more offensive vs top competition it seemed though. I was only joking above in my comment that there was a lot of awkward video footage of two guys rolling around, so they simply took the victory footage.

I think I only see one poster stating they didn't appreciate Jesse's style and efforts to win his second. I love to watch him shoot and score nearly every time. Last season he was more offensive vs top competition it seemed though.

The Delgado hate makes no sense to me. He shoots and scores a lot. In the finals, he score the only take down by shooting a single leg. Why does it matter that Garret took more shots than Delgado during that match?

Hating on Delgado for scoring his only shot, while Garret attempted many and failed is like hating on Babe Ruth for not swinging on 5 pitches, only to hit a homer on the 6th, while praising Nolan Ryan for striking out on 3 pitches.

I wish they would change the rules so you can't lay on your back in a scramble , but until they do, no sense hating on Delgado. He's actually pretty exciting imo. Garett and Megaludis stay low and dive repeatedly for his legs- is he supposed to let them score? Against Clark who used more head snaps and short offense Delgado was very aggressive shooting and scoring repeatedly. I suggest Delgados opponents study tape and work on ways to finish those shots- that will force him to switch things up.

I don't see how this is even close, Delgado won a national championship. The gymnast is doing a prerecorded routine, he doesn't have to make any adjustments based on his opponent and he won a big ten title not a national title. The three point shot was nice but that's not for a national championship and it's only one shot. I've got no problem with his style. I agree with the previous poster that the guys who tie up and just push without taking a shot, somehow they are considered aggresive.