Sign in to follow this  
okwrestle

Chandler Rogers

Nice win for Rogers, but the score is a little misleading imho. I think it was 0-0 after 1st. Rogers got an escape to make it 1-0. I think Valencia attempted a cement mixer and failed, going to his back in the process, to fall behind 5-0. Again in the 3rd, Valencia was playing catch-up, trying for another big move, failed, and going to his back once again.

Not saying Rogers wouldn't win in a rematch, but I think it would be close. Valencia got sloppy and paid the price.

Nice win for Rogers, but the score is a little misleading imho. I think it was 0-0 after 1st. Rogers got an escape to make it 1-0. I think Valencia attempted a cement mixer and failed, going to his back in the process, to fall behind 5-0. Again in the 3rd, Valencia was playing catch-up, trying for another big move, failed, and going to his back once again.

Not saying Rogers wouldn't win in a rematch, but I think it would be close. Valencia got sloppy and paid the price.

I watched the match and that's exactly how it went down. Other than the escape all of Rogers scoring came via Valencia trying to go feet to back. I'm not sure why he attempted such a high risk move that early in the match but he surely paid for it. Reckless.

I haven't seen video yet, but I'm kind of glad if Anthony got beat in the way you are describing it. I love Anthony and happen to think he is the best from the class of 2015, but he can be extremely sloppy and his setups are basically non existent. My hope is this will re-focus him, because with his talent and athleticism, there's no telling how good he can be once his technique catches up. Good for Chandler though, he's always been a beast.

Is this the same Valencia that Californians are saying would beat Marstellar?

-----

I recall seeing a post or two about some folks wanting to see a match between Valancia and Marstellar, but none saying V would beat Marstellar. Perhaps I missed it.... or did you just make that up?

Some of his fans might have said this (he did beat a tough Hall - that is something) but I doubt Anthony would say such a thing. Kid has been around since little kids, with losses hear and there and knows better to make such predictions of the very best kids.

He was getting a little carried away with his wrestling, and learned against the best aggressive is one thing but you sorta need to wrestle smart. At this point all these tournaments are just practice until college.

I believe it was Joey Davis, undefeated 2 time national champion for Notre Dame. I believe Davis even went to PA for the challenge but the home town kid failed to show up.

I believe it was Joey Davis, undefeated 2 time national champion for Notre Dame. I believe Davis even went to PA for the challenge but the home town kid failed to show up.

Define "hometown" kid, because a sophomore who lives two hours away and has to drive through three different states to get to a location wouldn't be one I'd call "hometown."

Yes, the quickest way from Marsteller's domicile is through Southern Pa., then through Maryland, up the top half of Delaware and back into Pennsylvania. Two hours is nothing for most people, but he's certainly not "hometown."

I'm sure we will get to see this match again (albeit a different style of wrestling) possibly at the Jr. Duals and Fargo. California and Oklahoma usually fair pretty well at both of these events so it is definately possible that they wrestle twice more in freestyle.

What did I miss here?

Define "hometown" kid, because a sophomore who lives two hours away and has to drive through three different states to get to a location wouldn't be one I'd call "hometown."

Yes, the quickest way from Marsteller's domicile is through Southern Pa., then through Maryland, up the top half of Delaware and back into Pennsylvania. Two hours is nothing for most people, but he's certainly not "hometown."

Hometown kid: a kid from the host state. pretty simple I would think

That would be like expecting a kid from San Diego to show up at a tournament in Sacramento just because it's in his home state. It takes 7 hours to drive between the two.

And no, it's not that simple. You say hometown. By definition that means from the same town. Not when towns are two hours apart. Home state would be what you were looking for.

Who said anyone expected him to show?

I really think you and Bryant are getting defensive about a common sports term and hanging on a technicality in order to defend Marstettler's failure to show. Bryant says it's a 2 hour trip. you compare it to a 7 hour trip from San Diego to Sacramento. Clearly one of you is WAY off and if it's you, you've more than tripled the distance in time in order to bolster your position. Why is that?

The California contingent traveled across the country to take on PA specifically, (slightly further than the 2 hours JB tells us it is for the home wrestler. The home team would be PA and California the visitors. CA went to PA. California road, Pennsylvania home. Hopefully I haven't lost you.

Now follow closely, I'm not saying I expected PA to do anything at all, after all it's not like they are being paid. But as far as message board banter goes, (and that's what we are discussing here) the bout between Davis and Marstettler didn't happen because the home wrestler, (I left town out so you could follow along) failed to show, (even though I didn't personally expect him to show) while the visiting wrestler made it there just fine and won the tournament, (even though he traveled across the country to do it).

CT, I agree that hometown was the wrong term. Home state or in-state would have been better terms to use. Also comparing your responses to JB's, I think it is you who is being defensive. JB just pointed out that it wasn't exactly across the street for Marstellar to attend. It's not like Davis walked to Chance's doorstep knocked and said meet me at the park in 15 minutes and Chance double bolted his door and hid under his kitchen table for a few hours. He just didn't go to a wrestling tournament, that another kid did. That is something that happens all the time.

The year Davis went to FloNationals, it was at Drexel in Philadelphia not at IUP. Common sports term itself is a misnomer because how many "common" sports terms are termed inaccurately.

As a broadcaster and writer, I don't say "hometown" unless you're within a metro area. Within an hour or a suburb would be how I define "hometown," not the same state, literally over the river and through the woods way past grandmother's house.

You're not grasping the common sports term accurately. That's the point I'm talking about. It's not being defensive, it's about defining it properly.

I was just referencing that PA and CA are large states. I know the driving distances in my post. I was just sayimg that hometown was probably a poor term to use. I see what you're saying, I just don't think it applies here.