Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

High School Coach Tackles Drug Dealer

He apparently got second at the veterans nationals in one of the divisions. I googled around since it looked like he was still competing. There are some videos out there...he looks like a regular competitor, but its a little different if you're up against a teenager.

He clearly was simply subduing/getting some control over the kid so he wouldn't get hit again. He probably could have beaten the bejesus out of him, but decided the best thing to do was to stay in the leg lock until the authorities showed up.

There appears to be an overwhelming public sentiment in his favor.

He apparently got second at the veterans nationals in one of the divisions. I googled around since it looked like he was still competing.

He clearly was simply subduing/getting some control over the kid so he wouldn't get hit again. He probably could have beaten the bejesus out of him, but decided the best thing to do was to stay in the leg lock until the authorities showed up.

There appears to be an overwhelming public sentiment in his favor.

I'm afraid he showed more restraint than I might have. This should end with a commendation for him!

He brought the kid down easily...no slamming or anything like that. The students said the boy hit him and one girl said he was stabbing him with a pencil. What is he supposed to do? Sit there and let the kid stab him? No harm no foul. He subdued the drug dealer with the minimum amount of force possible. I really hope he gets to keep his job. Glad to see he has the communities support.

These punk kids and their parents, are no good! What is the teacher supposed to do? The kid threw a punch and had a pencil in hand...and he had weed. The teacher showed great restrain by just wrestling the kid and not, knocking him out, which is probably what I would have done. Coach Black shoudl be commended and the kid should be suspended from school and the Superintendent is an a-hole. We need to start holding parents accountable for the actions of their kids. But with the laws the way they are and these predatory lawyers, the school will have to pay mnoney to this scumbag kid and his family and Coach Black will have his name tarnished. It's a shame....PROVE ME WRONG SANTA MONICA_MALIBU UNIFIED.....

... i had a student with a track "starter" pistol in his pants one year- the other students knew it, and the student with the starter pistol was acting very nervous- suddenly the principal and security guard came in and grabbed him and took him out of my room- had i seen it, i'm sure i would have "subdued" him ever so gently to protect the other kid's.... you get the summer's off, but teaching is a tough job...

All I know, if my brother or I woudl have done such a thing(which would not have happened), my parents would have given the teachers free reign to whip our asses and if they didn't do it, it woudl have happened at home. So many parents today, suck....

So, was the kid selling or it selling weed? It seems to me it would be a lot easier to just meet in the bathroom or going down the hall than in the middle if class. The story sounds suspect.

Didn't look like self defense to me.

^^^^ this attitude and attorneys with this attitude are what is wrong with America today.

once the altercation is started he should only defend?

I'm saying it's unclear who started the altercation. Looks like the teacher from the video. You wanna pin a guy down for having a bag of weed so you can bust him? Ok, that's fine, but don't call it self defense.

I'm sure there's more to the story, and there are reports that the student took a swing beforehand, but it's far from clear at this point. The video itself doesn't show any self defense

Didn't look like self defense to me.

^^^^ this attitude and attorneys with this attitude are what is wrong with America today.

once the altercation is started he should only defend?

I'm saying it's unclear who started the altercation. Looks like the teacher from the video. You wanna pin a guy down for having a bag of weed so you can bust him? Ok, that's fine, but don't call it self defense.

I'm sure there's more to the story, and there are reports that the student took a swing beforehand, but it's far from clear at this point. The video itself doesn't show any self defense

the video shows the altercation already underway. once it is started, even the aggressor can just be defending themselves.

I could see a stalling call for not working up the body, but he was clearly the aggressor prior to the TD so I'd go stalemate and bring em back to center.

They were out of bounds before criteria were met on that knee pick. No TD - bring them back to center on their feet.

I could see a stalling call for not working up the body, but he was clearly the aggressor prior to the TD so I'd go stalemate and bring em back to center.

They were out of bounds before criteria were met on that knee pick. No TD - bring them back to center on their feet.

Looked like he was trying to keep his toes in-bounds to me. I'd award the TD and warn the dope peddler for stalling. After all, he back-pedaled all the way across the room.

So, was the kid selling or it selling weed? It seems to me it would be a lot easier to just meet in the bathroom or going down the hall than in the middle if class. The story sounds suspect.

The story isn't suspect. Nowhere in the story is the kid identified as a "drug dealer." That detail was added by the person who posted the link in this forum.

The story says the kid was openly displaying a bag of weed. The teacher tried to confiscate it. The kid refused to give it up, and a tussle ensued.

One thing that's clear to me ... the portion of the confrontation you need to see to draw any conclusions about the teacher's decision to subdue the kid occurred before the cell phone videos started rolling.

If the kid was a danger to the teacher or to the other students, then God bless Coach Black. Get him back to work and pay him for the days he was on leave. If Coach Black lost his cool because this a-hole kid was caught with a bag of weed and wouldn't turn it over, then the coach is going to have a problem.

Putting him on leave until the facts can be sorted out seems like a reasonable step for the superintendent to take, but calling his actions "unacceptable" before the investigation had even started was just plain dumb.

Looked like he was trying to keep his toes in-bounds to me. I'd award the TD and warn the dope peddler for stalling. After all, he back-pedaled all the way across the room.

If no td, should get penalized for trying to flee the jurisdiction

If no td, should get penalized for trying to flee the jurisdiction

You know you're a wrestler when you drag your toes on the edge in an actual fight.

Marijuana is illegal and in many jurisdictions having it with 'intent to sell' is more serious than simple possession. Having it within a certain distance of public schools is an enhanced crime in many jurisdictions.

Stopping and holding the kid is just fine, whatever it took. Many of us would have made sure to take the kid down face first onto flooring and make sure to dislocate a few of his limbs as he 'struggled'.

Give the teacher a medal and a $5000 bonus and get rid of the administrators who do not support him.