Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

High School Coach Tackles Drug Dealer

Granted, I can't speak to California guidelines concerning this (I don't know why they would differ), but to those who are incorrectly jumping the gun and immediately assuming that the teacher will be reprimanded for this: don't.

If it is determined that this was (1) an act of self-defense or (2) the teacher acted to protect the safety of other students, he has EVERY RIGHT to do what he needs to do to defend himself in such cases of attack.

The general rule is that you can return what that individual is doing, "plus 1," meaning that you can take the extra effort to fully restrain.

All I know, if my brother or I woudl have done such a thing(which would not have happened), my parents would have given the teachers free reign to whip our asses and if they didn't do it, it woudl have happened at home. So many parents today, suck....

Perhaps that's the reason why you never would have done such a thing in the first place. Just shows what a sorry state of affairs we have in this country!! :-(

All I know, if my brother or I woudl have done such a thing(which would not have happened), my parents would have given the teachers free reign to whip our asses and if they didn't do it, it woudl have happened at home. So many parents today, suck....

Perhaps that's the reason why you never would have done such a thing in the first place. Just shows what a sorry state of affairs we have in this country!! :-(

Ditto ..... Can't touch kids nowadays ... Sadly, the teacher/coach might get into a bit of trouble, or reprimanded. Hope not.

Too bad the floor was slippery. A hard "Blast Double Leg" would have ended it quick. Like ... Stephen Neil.

Didn't look like self defense to me.

^^^^ this attitude and attorneys with this attitude are what is wrong with America today.

once the altercation is started he should only defend?

I will go a step further. Liberal mentality all together - period - is what is wrong.

Didn't look like self defense to me.

^^^^ this attitude and attorneys with this attitude are what is wrong with America today.

once the altercation is started he should only defend?

I will go a step further. Liberal mentality all together - period - is what is wrong.

Not a *Liberal* mentality. That is a misconception. By definition I'm a liberal and what the teacher did was totally justified.

What it is is a sue-happy mentality. Things like this kid need advocates. Lawyers are there. Ever since they figured out they can make a quick buck by suing whatever entity, that was it. What there really needs to be is tort reform. Most school districts would rather settle than go to court because smart and savvy lawyers will try the case in public. School districts don't want to look like the bad guys. These days cases are not won in a court of law but in the court of public opinion which is a huge bitch. Even if a district took a case like this to court and won, they'd still wind up looking bad. It's a product of our 5 second sound byte society and 140 character at a time update. The result of the school district winning would be on page 23 while the allegations from the attorney would be page 1. The districts (and a lot of other entities) will settle even if they might be able to win because they do not want to look like they might even be possibly doing something wrong.

Ditto ..... Can't touch kids nowadays ... Sadly, the teacher/coach might get into a bit of trouble, or reprimanded. Hope not.

Without having actually read the "rules," this is how I understand it works at least in MA and CA where I've worked in schools.

Some obvious mistakes by the teacher. Not closing the gap before attempting several snatch singles, no hand control before the double leg and then not climbing up to finish the take down. I doubt he gets two unless they are close to out of bounds or he is wrestling Jordan Oliver.

Some obvious mistakes by the teacher. Not closing the gap before attempting several snatch singles, no hand control before the double leg and then not climbing up to finish the take down. I doubt he gets two unless they are close to out of bounds or he is wrestling Jordan Oliver.

This is reasonable, said at reinstatement: "“I want to make it clear that Mark Black was not fired or suspended from his job, he was simply placed on leave with pay during the investigation,” said Superintendent Lyon."

However, what was said earlier was prejudicial, judgmental and inflammatory:

"A number of videos capturing at least a portion of the incident are circulating, and I can tell you that what I witnessed on one of those videos is utterly alarming,” Lyon wrote."

and:

"Based on what I have viewed, the kind of physical restraint used by the teacher is unacceptable."

This is reasonable, said at reinstatement: "“I want to make it clear that Mark Black was not fired or suspended from his job, he was simply placed on leave with pay during the investigation,” said Superintendent Lyon."

"A number of videos capturing at least a portion of the incident are circulating, and I can tell you that what I witnessed on one of those videos is utterly alarming,” Lyon wrote."

and:

"Based on what I have viewed, the kind of physical restraint used by the teacher is unacceptable."

I can't disagree with what you said. However, in such cases, just as in the case of police officers, teachers are put on administrative leave while the investigation takes place. In most cases, the teacher's use of force is warranted as a means to protect his/herself, or other students.

Apparently, the administrator has apologized for her initial comments. She definitely should not have editorialized if her real intention was to give the coach a fair investigation. She was probably thinking that the community would rally around the kid (as it often does).

The board president later blamed "social media" for the backlash against Ms. Lyon:

“It is unfortunate that the widespread use of social media has triggered physical threats and inflammatory remarks impugning the character of our administrators,” district Board President Maria Leon-Vazquez stated in Friday’s news release. “Ms. Lyon has publicly apologized for a quickly conceived email that afternoon that presented an incomplete picture of the incident and inflamed some segments of our community. We ask that everyone accept her sincere expression of regret and support her strong leadership.”

Source: http://ktla.com/2014/04/18/santa-monica-teacher-allowed-to-return-to-campus-after-fight-caught-on-camera/#FWrHXjrrqUm9xgfl.99

and:

I can't disagree with what you said. However, in such cases, just as in the case of police officers, teachers are put on administrative leave while the investigation takes place. In most cases, the teacher's use of force is warranted as a means to protect his/herself, or other students.

All I was saying is that what was highlighted at reinstatement would have been the appropriate statement at the start. Neutral, formal, and assuring that process would be followed. No prejudicial remarks necessary.

and:

All I was saying is that what was highlighted at reinstatement would have been the appropriate statement at the start. Neutral, formal, and assuring that process would be followed. No prejudicial remarks necessary.

Yes, and I agreed with what you said. He did seem to jump the gun unfairly.

Does anyone know what "hold" he used to restrain the kid? From what I see it just looked like he doubled the kid to the ground and just held on to the double.

He basically got wrist control on him, put an underhook on him to jack him up and used a snatch single to take him down. Pretty effective, considering that he wouldn't want to go to the hard floor to try to take him down.

Apparently, the administrator has apologized for her initial comments. She definitely should not have editorialized if her real intention was to give the coach a fair investigation. She was probably thinking that the community would rally around the kid (as it often does).

Meanwhile, the administrator blamed the backlash against Lyon on social media:

“It is unfortunate that the widespread use of social media has triggered physical threats and inflammatory remarks impugning the character of our administrators,” district Board President Maria Leon-Vazquez stated in Friday’s news release. “Ms. Lyon has publicly apologized for a quickly conceived email that afternoon that presented an incomplete picture of the incident and inflamed some segments of our community. We ask that everyone accept her sincere expression of regret and support her strong leadership.”

http://ktla.com/2014/04/18/santa-monica ... XCwVtRQ.99