Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Revenge

One of the things that makes nearly all competitions fun is the rematch where the loser of the previous battle will come back and avenge his loss in fashion. It has happened quite a few times in the wrestling world, but some stick out more than others.

One of my favorites is from nearly 15 years ago with Brock Lesnar of Minnesota and Wes Hand of Iowa. The last time the two met, Lesnar humiliated Hand by pinning him. I personally thought that Lesnar would go undefeated his senior year, but the next time the two met, the ending was quite different. Hand went into Minneapolis, picked Lesnar straight up off the ground and put him straight on his back for a 5 point move. He held on to lead to win the match and give Lesnar what I believe was his only loss that year. Lesnar would win the next two meetings via tiebreaker at the BIG 10's and NCAA's.

Another example is with a Minnesota Wrestler, this time coming out on top. Iowa's Cliff Moore had beaten Ryan Lewis on two occasions earlier in the season. A 12-8 decision in a dual meet and a 3-1 s.v. at the BIG 10's. The odds seemed to be in Moore's favor when hen met in the semi-finals at the NCAA's. Lewis just had his way with Moore in route to a 13-3 domination.

Got any taht stick out in your mind?

Other good ones from this year:

Logie Bear over Retherford. Punished the frosh on his way to B1G and NCAA titles.

Ruth over Dean. Coasted to title #3 after that.

Graff over Colon. Kept Colon, who nearly killed him in the first match, from getting to the finals and likely winning a title.

Sakaguchi over Villalonga. Avenged two losses this season to keep Villalonga from advancing on a dream NCAA draw.

My favorite of all time was Perry over Hendricks. Sent Johny to the showers with a loss to end his career and seemingly upset uncle John Smith enough that he was nowhere to be found after the match.

Many don't realize it, but Owings' win over Gable in the 1970 NCAA finals was a revenge match.

"I want to face Gable for the championship," Owings is quoted as saying on the first day of the NCAAs, according to Sports Illustrated. "I faced him at the Olympic Trials in '68 and he beat me. I was a high school senior, and he was already a national champ. I made up my mind back then that I wanted to meet him again and beat him." (From Mark Palmer's 2010 InterMat Rewind article - link to full article below.)

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/6839

Many don't realize it, but Owings' win over Gable in the 1970 NCAA finals was a revenge match.

"I want to face Gable for the championship," Owings is quoted as saying on the first day of the NCAAs, according to Sports Illustrated. "I faced him at the Olympic Trials in '68 and he beat me. I was a high school senior, and he was already a national champ. I made up my mind back then that I wanted to meet him again and beat him." (From Mark Palmer's 2010 InterMat Rewind article - link to full article below.)

They would meet one final time at the 1972 Olympic trials as well, when Gable defeated Owings 7-1. Owings was the only person to score a point on Gable that entire run. In "A Season on the Mat" Gable hints at that win as being quite meaningful to him.

They would meet one final time at the 1972 Olympic trials as well, when Gable defeated Owings 7-1. Owings was the only person to score a point on Gable that entire run. In "A Season on the Mat" Gable hints at that win as being quite meaningful to him.

Owings had planned on wrestling at 136.5 at the '72 Olympic Trials, but missed making weight by a pound or two. That set up his third meeting with Gable at 149.5 pounds. Owings talks about that match in the book "Wrestlers at the Trials." He also provides some insight into some things that impacted his career after the 1970 NCAA's.

I believe both of Johnny Thompson's titles came via revenge wins against Ryan Lewis who won both in season matches.

Jake Rosholt beat Greg Parker, Josh Lambrecht and Scott Barker to win as a freshman, they had all beaten him during the year. Barker had majored him at Big 12s, Rosholt returned the favor in the finals.

I believe both of Johnny Thompson's titles came via revenge wins against Ryan Lewis who won both in season matches.

Jake Rosholt beat Greg Parker, Josh Lambrecht and Scott Barker to win as a freshman, they had all beaten him during the year. Barker had majored him at Big 12s, Rosholt returned the favor in the finals.

Lewis Pinned Thompson in a dual their junior year.

Caldwell and Cross both avenged losses by big margins earlier in the year at ncaa's. Caldwell getting teched by Metcalf and cross majored by tom brands.

Caldwell pinned Metcalf in their first match before being tech falled in the all star exhibition. Kendall Cross beat Terry Brands before Brands turned the result around with a 25-9 technical fall win later in the season back in 89-90. Cross would eventually turn that result around and beat Terry Brands in the Olympic Trials finals in 1996.

Roth beating Quiroga to keep him from AA

Noto taking out Vega who everyone thought would win NCAA's

No one thought Vega would win the NCAA's. Vega next to Thompson is my all time favorite and aside from Vega himself, his coaches and a select few others, no one thought that Vega would beat Stephen Abas for the title. Most everyone was predicting Vega to finish in 2nd place.

Wanna argue about this till the sun comes home? IF so, let me start digging out my 2002 issues of W.I.N. and A.W.N. as well as put it to a vote.

Would I have LIKED to have seen Vega win the NCAA's that year, without a doubt.

Caldwell and Cross both avenged losses by big margins earlier in the year at ncaa's. Caldwell getting teched by Metcalf and cross majored by tom brands.

Caldwell pinned Metcalf in their first match before being tech falled in the all star exhibition. Kendall Cross beat Terry Brands before Brands turned the result around with a 25-9 technical fall win later in the season back in 89-90. Cross would eventually turn that result around and beat Terry Brands in the Olympic Trials finals in 1996.

Thanks for the lesson 'old. I wrote exactly what I wanted to and everything I put was exactly correct. The fall for Caldwell happened the year before they met in the NCAA finals. Caldwell got beat by Jenkins that year in the semi and didn't meet Metcalf in the NCAA tournament. So the in-season revenge happened the next year at the all-star then NCAA's. Brands' freshman year Terry was at 118 and didn't make the Big Ten line-up. Tom was at 126 and had beat Cross by major in the dual. Cross won 1-0 in the NCAA semi before he lost to Martin in the third place bout. Both of my examples were lopsided wins during the year that were avenged at NCAA's.

Thanks for the lesson 'old. I wrote exactly what I wanted to and everything I put was exactly correct. The fall for Caldwell happened the year before they met in the NCAA finals. Caldwell got beat by Jenkins that year in the semi and didn't meet Metcalf in the NCAA tournament. So the in-season revenge happened the next year at the all-star then NCAA's. Brands' freshman year Terry was at 118 and didn't make the Big Ten line-up. Tom was at 126 and had beat Cross by major in the dual. Cross won 1-0 in the NCAA semi before he lost to Martin in the third place bout. Both of my examples were lopsided wins during the year that were avenged at NCAA's.

Just in case you don't know, I never meant to suggest that you were factually incorrect on anything in your post.