Sign in to follow this  
Zelph

Was Dave Schultz the greatest HS wrestler ever?

When he was in high school he beat two-time NCAA champion Chuck Yagla, pinning him in the finals of the Great Plains. He took a silver medal in the Russian National Championships. He came back here and missed all of the state qualifying championships because he was over in Russia so the coaches petitioned him into the state tournament and he walked through without even a close match. His closest match was like 12-1 and that was a weight above his normal weight. He then won the National Greco Roman Championships and got the most falls in the least amount of time –all while he was still in High School!

He goes on to NCAA and World titles.

So, WAS he the greatest HS wrestler of all time? He certainly did not fizzle in college or International competition.

Try two weight classes over his normal weight! He had to wrestle two weight classes higher and easily won One division CA state tourney.

So, yes he's the greatest hs wrestler. Others like Carr and Kolat are right up there too. These 3 are above any in the history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try two weight classes over his normal weight! He had to wrestle two weight classes higher and easily won One division CA state tourney.

So, yes he's the greatest hs wrestler. Others like Carr and Kolat are right up there too. These 3 are above any in the history.

I would have to put Vasquez in that argument too. He's the ONLY 4x champ out of California ever. He didn't quite live up to that in college (I think he only had 2 AA finishes), but for high school winning a state like California 4x is pretty impressive. Even the great Dave Schultz only won it once.

Vasquez is a very tough kid but he was not on the level of all time greats. He was majored by PA 3x state champ in the Reno finales. He was also pinned by Pa 1x Brian Baglio at the Dapper Dan. Also Vasquez win in the State Semis over Bowerman? before beating Palomino in was very controversial.

I think in college Vasquez dealt with an illness and that may have played into "only" being a 2x AA

I would say Vasquez is one of the all time greats. Dave Schultz probably lost more than 7 matches in high school total. He was only a 1x state champion. I'm not going to argue that his senior year is probably the most impressive one to date of anyone. But for overall body of work Vasquez being able to win California 4x says a lot. Being that California has only 1 state champion for the hundreds of schools, winning it just once is a big deal, but being able to do it 4x is pretty impressive. Also consider it has only happened one time. None of the great wrestlers from California can lay claim to that and I think on high school achievements alone that puts him there.

Jimmy Carr made the world team his sophomore year in high school, made the Olympic team his jr. year of high school, won the Midlands his senior year of high school, and got beat in the state meet his senior year of high school. In 1976, Mike Farina won the Olympic Trials ranking tournament at 105.5 pounds in BOTH Freestyle and Greco-Roman, wrestling 6 days in a row. He then made the Greco team and lost a two out of three to Billy Rosado for the freestyle team. In 1975, my sophomore year, I wrestled Farina in the Jr. Nationals in freestyle at 105.5 pounds, and lost by a score of 9-7, and seeing Farina make the Olympic team gave me a lot of confidence that I could succeed at that level too. I was fortunate to come up in the same age group as Dave Schultz, Andre Metzger, and Bobby Weaver, and their success against college age and senior level athletes gave me a lot of confidence that if they could do it, so could I!! Dave Schultz also beat NCAA champion Mark Churella by about 12 points in the spring of Dave's high school senior year of 1977.

I would have to put Vasquez in that argument too. He's the ONLY 4x champ out of California ever. He didn't quite live up to that in college (I think he only had 2 AA finishes), but for high school winning a state like California 4x is pretty impressive. Even the great Dave Schultz only won it once.

Agree with the others, Vasquez may have had the most hardware, but simply no where near the level of Schultz. Other from his time were much better, Guerrero, Abas, for example. Again, Vasquez was very good but not one of the greatest.

Just curious, how did Schultz put up such an unbelievable untouchable senior season, but not win state prior to that year?

Not sure if I'm confusing Schultz with Metzger but didn't he take a year (or at least a summer) off and spent it training in Japan?

I know that international weigh is are more forgiving, but I don't know a single grown man who could make 105. Have people gotten bigger, or doe we cut less weight now?

I forget his name but he wrestled at 55kg for years and also was an AA at Cal Fullerton. He wasn't cutting to make 55 and when there was talk a few years ago of FILA creating a 50kg weight he would have been perfect. I forget his name though. He was pretty good just really undersized for 55. I think he became a jockey.

Just curious, how did Schultz put up such an unbelievable untouchable senior season, but not win state prior to that year?

Not sure if I'm confusing Schultz with Metzger but didn't he take a year (or at least a summer) off and spent it training in Japan?

that was metzger

I know that international weigh is are more forgiving, but I don't know a single grown man who could make 105. Have people gotten bigger, or doe we cut less weight now?

I forget his name but he wrestled at 55kg for years and also was an AA at Cal Fullerton. He wasn't cutting to make 55 and when there was talk a few years ago of FILA creating a 50kg weight he would have been perfect. I forget his name though. He was pretty good just really undersized for 55. I think he became a jockey.

TJ Hill

TJ Hill

Missouri's very own, TJ Hill.