Sign in to follow this  
Zelph

Was Dave Schultz the greatest HS wrestler ever?

While it's great that Vasquez won 4 and the only guy to ever do it, there is no way that he's even close to being the most accomplished CA HS wrestler.  Pico and the Valencias blow him out of the water just by how many different national/world tournaments they've competed in during high school and won.

Love this conversation.....have had it many times, and some great posts on this thread.....I have been fortunate enough to watch many of these guys in high school and throughout their careers.  Dave Schultz may be one of my all-time favorites.....I learned so much from him in his "grown-up" days (big smiley face) and he had a phenomenal senior year. I saw Carr when he was in high school at Midlands and at World Cup (suplayed the Russian 5 times, and I have it on film/video), saw Kolat in high school at Midlands, watched Alan Fried as a freshman at the Ohio Catholic Championships, watched Brent Metcalf grow up.....and including his Medina win over Schlatter.  My favorites for this thread, not in an order include Brent Metcalf....undefeated in high school 4X state champ and on 4 state championship teams, and won maybe 7 junior national titles (freestyle and greco), as well as a couple Cadet Junior National titles.  You all know what he did in college, and he's won 2 consecutive World Cups, won at Beat the Streets against great ones, and walked thru a brutal wt. class at the US Open last year, and has been on maybe 3 world teams.  Alan Fried.....first to win 4 junior national titles in FS....in his pool his freshman year were....Tom and Terry Brands and Lincoln McIlravy and had a great career at Okie State.  And of course you have to include Cary Kolat in the mix....3rd at Midlands in HS, and beat the guy who beat him, coming back to take 3rd.  Carey had a great collegiate career at PSU and at Lock Haven, as well as maybe 2nd in the world.

My vote is for Mike Johnson, Lock Haven HS in PA. He was a 4 time state champion back when pa had one division. As a freshman he had to beat the defending state champion to be the starter. 84-0 in high school, won titles in 4 different weight classes. And the most impressive thing, he was never taken down. He never gave up an offensive point, only escape points. He went to Pitt when freshmen couldn't compete. As a soph. He blew his knee out in the NCAA finals and that ended his career. He was one of the best ever.