Sign in to follow this  
LkwdSteve

True Freshman Dake vs. all past 141 champs

Which of the past 141 champs, in the history of D1 NCAAs, would the true freshman Kyle Dake have "no shot" at beating (if any)? In other words, have there been any he wouldn't be "competitive" with?

The one I would find most intriguing would be J. Jaggers. The will to win come NCAA tourney time that both of these wrestlers showed amazed me. Both guys seemed to turn it up so many levels from regular season to post season.

Before the time of 141 guys that would have potentially been at 141

1969-Dan Gable-137

1997-Cary Kolat-142

Jaggers, Steiber, and Ware and prob Mcilravy when he was a 42 would have given true freshmen dake an interesting match as well.

I don't see anyone as a "lock" against anyone else, that's why these hypothetical topics are strange to me. It's all opinion...that being said, in my opinion, Seniors Kolat and Alan Fried jumped out as two that I think would've been clear favorites against Dake.

There are a TON of 141 pound NCAA champs that Dake doesn't beat when he is a true freshmen. TJ Jaworksy, Tom Brands, Cary Kolat, Mark Ironside..etc. Dake is incredible but if you are trying to compare him as a true frosh vs these all time greats, you're insane. When he was a Senior, Dake was on par or better than these guys above, however as a true frosh- no way.

When first I read the headline I thought the original poster was asking if true freshman Dake could handle all past 141 champs at the same time. Pretty sure Dake would go down quickly with all of those guys ganging up on him. :lol:

There are a TON of 141 pound NCAA champs that Dake doesn't beat when he is a true freshmen. TJ Jaworksy, Tom Brands, Cary Kolat, Mark Ironside..etc. Dake is incredible but if you are trying to compare him as a true frosh vs these all time greats, you're insane. When he was a Senior, Dake was on par or better than these guys above, however as a true frosh- no way.

Fair enough. Restrict the choices to non-senior 141 champs against the true freshman.

I think there are tons of 141 champs that I wouldn't favor true freshman dake over

Off the top of my head--

Russell

Stieber

Teyon Ware

Nate Gallick

And tons of guys at 134/142 as well back when those were the weights

Thats not a knock on Dake but I think its pretty clear he improved tremendously over the course of his career, and as a True freshman he would likely have struggled greatly against some of these redshirt seniors.

There is a reason people win titles so much more often as seniors than they do as freshman -- those extra years really make a big difference