Sign in to follow this  
LongShot

Is Iowa top team next year?

I think they tread water and stay in the top five. They had a few guys fade away this year that'll be back and should score them points, and the only big point winner from this year that they lose is Ramos. Iowa next year should be about the same as Iowa this year.

Penn State will be the best team next year and every year after that. Fuhgeddaboudit.

125 - Mega

133 - Gulibon

141 - Retherford

149 - Beitz/Alton/Nolf

157 - Alton

165 - Hammond/Law

174 - Brown

184 - McCutcheon/Nickal

197 - McIntosh

285 - Gingrich/Nevills/Lawson

My computer sees Iowa as a clear favorite. Unfortunately, I don't see a ton of upside in this team from the Dual Impact Index projection, compared to Ohio State, which the computer sees as 6th/7th (Dual/Tournament), but may well underrate Tomasello, H. Stieber, and Jordan, and completely ignores Snyder and Haines anchoring the back end of the lineup, plus Demas, who has no body of work from this season. In short, yes, I see Iowa probably being ranked #1 to start next season, but I think it'll be interesting to see if they stay there.

Also, consider that Iowa has underperformed at Nationals the last couple of years vis-à-vis their seeds. Not sure if that's mere coincidence, or part of a trend, but if it's the last of the three, that could come into play in the shadow of the Gateway Arch as well.

Penn State will be the best team next year and every year after that. Fuhgeddaboudit.

125 - Mega

133 - Gulibon

141 - Retherford

149 - Beitz/Alton/Nolf

157 - Alton

165 - Hammond/Law

174 - Brown

184 - McCutcheon/Nickal

197 - McIntosh

285 - Gingrich/Nevills/Lawson

Looking at their accomplishments I can't see why you are so excited. Now if they started out with a 51 point lead then maybe they'd have a chance.

125) Mega------ 2,2,3

133) Gulibon-----DNP

141) Retherford--5

149) BA/----------DNP

157) Alton--------3,DNP,DNP

165) H/L----------

174) Brown-------2,5

184) M/N---------

197) McIntosh----DNP, 7

hvy) G/N/L-------DNP

SHP, I'm not sure how you can move so many wrestlers out of their current weight classes without any independent evidence and then expect the computer results to have any merit? Why not keep everyone the same unless there is verification from the wrestler and/or coaches that they are moving up (example - Dieringer).

I think PSU is still the favorite, but that is based on certain individuals stepping up (the Altons mostly). Iowa loses Ramos, yes, but that just means Clark moves up to 133 and Gilman is 125. Not much of a drop with that replacement at 133.

Our returning national champ wrestled poorly, failing to even make it to the consi-finals. Then we had two wrestlers who were definite placers, on paper, flop and not even place in Lofthouse and Moore. In fact I thought Moore could make the finals. You just can't have three of your big guns fall apart and expect to be in the title hunt.

Moving forward for next year I think we will be right there in the hunt. Gilman and Clark will fill in nicely at 125 and 133. We need Moore to not blow it at nationals again. We bring in Brooks to replace Lofthouse and he should AA. Maybe we can get some points from from Dziewa and Grothus and a possible Low AA. 157 will be weak. Evans, Burak, and Telford will be about the same with maybe a little higher place on the stand. I think we are looking good. Obviously we will need to improve on our placements, but I think we can be champs next year. we are definitely "in the mix", with a slew of other teams that could win it, should things go right for them.

Penn state losing Taylor and Ruth knocks them out from being the "sure fire" favorite. Next year should be fun with so many teams in the mix.

SHP, I'm not sure how you can move so many wrestlers out of their current weight classes without any independent evidence and then expect the computer results to have any merit? Why not keep everyone the same unless there is verification from the wrestler and/or coaches that they are moving up (example - Dieringer).

Because some of them staying at their current weights is almost preposterous. Who thinks that Clark and Gilman will continue to fight things out at 125 next year, while Iowa will forfeit (or wrestle a true freshman at) 133 for the entire year?

Iowa should score more, but not sure how much more:

125 and 133: Not sure that Gilman-Clark duo out scores Clark-Ramos

141: Dziewa shows flashes, but hard to predict big jump as RS Sr over RS Jr

149 and 157: see 125/133...while DSJ had disappointing end, I don't know that Sorenson-Grothus combo will out point what Grothus and DSJ combined for

165: Moore SHOULD greatly out-perform his 2014 tourney

174: Evans will be in mix again, should bump up to top 4 at least

184: Brooks looks promising, but hard to project

197: somewhat similar to 141; Burak did well to make podium, but not sure I see a big jump

Hwt: Telford will be in the mix, should score a bit more

I agree that next yr should be pretty wide- open from team standpoint...should be fun!

I agree that Iowa will be A top team next year, but likely not THE top team.

Sure, they have the potential to make a run at the outright team title with legit AA threats at every weight, with the exception of 157 and possibly 149. However, without the surefire champions or mega bonus point getters, their margin for error will be pretty thin.

In other words, the 2015 Hawkeyes would need to be clicking on all cylinders in March to pull off a championship. This is something that their recent NCAA tournament history would suggest is not likely to happen.

Because some of them staying at their current weights is almost preposterous. Who thinks that Clark and Gilman will continue to fight things out at 125 next year, while Iowa will forfeit (or wrestle a true freshman at) 133 for the entire year?

Clark clearly falls into the category of Dieringer. These are the ones I'm talking about:

L. Stieber: 149

D. Carter: 149

D. Houdashelt: 157

H. Stieber: 157

T. Walsh: 165

I. Miller 165

M. Moreno: 174

G. Dean 197

K. Gadson: 285

So you consider it "preposterous" for all these guys to stay at their weights?

I'm not buying it :?

Clark, Ramos, Burak and Telford wrestled above their seeds. St.John and Evans barely below. At 141 and 149 we were non-seeded and a 13 so I expected what we got. At 165 and 184, while we wrestled well below our seeds, that is pretty much what I expected. At 157, we got a "free" 3 points in the 5th place match due to injury. Sometimes things just are what they are.

Clark clearly falls into the category of Dieringer. These are the ones I'm talking about:

L. Stieber: 149

D. Carter: 149

D. Houdashelt: 157

H. Stieber: 157

T. Walsh: 165

I. Miller 165

M. Moreno: 174

G. Dean 197

K. Gadson: 285

So you consider it "preposterous" for all these guys to stay at their weights?

I'm not buying it :?

Doesn't he have Tsirtsis and Kindig both moving to 157 as well? A lot of these just don't make sense to me.