Sign in to follow this  
UM158

Zeke Jones to ASU???

Stove hinted at this in another thread. Larry has ties to both ASU and WVU. I think this would be a huge hit to USA wrestling. He has been the first guy in a while that has been able to effectively be a secondary coach to the wrestlers. Most of our guys have shown to be well prepared strategically and technically during Zeke's tenure. He has embraced the role and tweeked what they are doing at their home rtc. Zeke is second to none when it comes to evaluating the rules and understanding how to win under them. With all that said; he has to feel like he is playing second fiddle when guys bring their home rtc coaches. Having total control of your ship has to give you more peace of mind. ASU will be very successful under Zeke.

ASU could attract a lot of top recruits. The program's budget is higher than any of the D1 schools in CA, so it could be a draw for top CA high schoolers. It's also near Sunkist Kids and MMA gyms, so it can attract kids with freestyle or MMA aspirations. Finally, it's warm there. Who doesn't like that.

Finally, it's warm there. Who doesn't like that.

The forecast for tomorrow and Thursday has a high of 99. Almost triple digits the first week of April, In a couple of weeks it will Be 105. August will be 115.

That's not warm it's hot.

It's a dry heat though

People say that all the time, but when you're breathing in air that is 20 degrees higher than your body temperature and a parking lot feels like a blast furnace you realize that statement comes from a certain amount of naivety.

Now somebody mentioned the attire of co-eds which does take on an interesting look from mid-March through mid-November. And some of those cold-weather co-eds have that look year round.

It does get cold (that is a relative term) at night from December - February but the days are beautiful.

You can't beat the AZ weather on winter days and summer nights.

Phoenix is a very sunny place with lots of outdoor activities available. Swimming, hiking, running, etc. I have to think the weather would be a selling point for kids coming from the midwest and east coast.

That said, the summer in Phoenix is pretty ridiculously hot. But the rest of the year is beautiful. A high of 99 is actually pretty comfortable in Phoenix because the air is so dry. Throw on a shirt and shorts and you're good.

The type of heat doesn't change the type of clothing worn by the co-eds. That's a different type of heat.

True dat!!

If you have never been to ASU's campus, you can't believe it. As a Wisconsin boy, when I first set foot on that campus I simply could not believe the number of hot chicks - incredible.

Two things. ASU has always been a "cool" place for high school kids to go to college at. It has a certain appeal, and mystique regarding beautiful people and social life etc... Recruiting shouldn't be tough due to it's location, climate, and coeds standpoint. Secondly, if true, I guess Terry Brands goes to the Springs...

Walking in 100 degree weather in June in AZ is completely different than in Oklahoma. There I walked 36 holes regularly, just filled up a gallon jug with ice and gatorade and took a drink before each shot, refilled at 9 holes, this was when it was 100 degrees but about a 10 percent humidity. Never felt a drop of sweat. When the monsoon season hit, it was wipe the sweat out of your eyes before each shot, plus taking a drink. In Oklahoma walking 9 holes in 100 degrees is about all I can handle, and my doctor told me to do that at 6 am, so I didn't stress my kidneys.

Zeke should have been hired two coaches ago. I'd hate to see him leave USA Wrestling. However, it has to be someone Art Martori will support, Zeke is one of his Sunkist Kids guys. Sunkist trains at the ASU facility, unless that has recently changed.

Two things. ASU has always been a "cool" place for high school kids to go to college at. It has a certain appeal, and mystique regarding beautiful people and social life etc... Recruiting shouldn't be tough due to it's location, climate, and coeds standpoint. Secondly, if true, I guess Terry Brands goes to the Springs...

well you read my mind. However, 2 things.....heard that Terry just moved in to a new house. Secondly if I recall there could be some issues between him and the leadership of USA Wrestling, which is one of the reasons he left in the first place. Just my thoughts.

What kind of salary range is the national coach in? Is it even remotely competitive with the college jobs?

Just got this from arizona state database. If jones is going there, either taking a paycut or they are going to start paying a larger salary. Not sure how those reports of asu spending over a million are true if this is what they are paying their coaches. Big10 assistants make more than the head asu.

Head Coach Wrestling

Athletic Department

$80,000

Asst Coach Wrestling

Athletic Department

$41,000

Read more: http://archive.azcentral.com/salary/emp ... z2yMA3Penz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk