Sign in to follow this  
UM158

Zeke Jones to ASU???

What kind of salary range is the national coach in? Is it even remotely competitive with the college jobs?

Just got this from arizona state database. If jones is going there, either taking a paycut or they are going to start paying a larger salary. Not sure how those reports of asu spending over a million are true if this is what they are paying their coaches. Big10 assistants make more than the head asu.

Head Coach Wrestling

Athletic Department

$80,000

Asst Coach Wrestling

Athletic Department

$41,000

Read more: http://archive.azcentral.com/salary/emp ... z2yMA3Penz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Its safe to assume that Art Martori made sure the move was worth his while to leave a successful program in Co Springs where he was making 200k/ year.

2. Zeke will be able to put together a killer RTC under the Sunkist Kids model of his era using his connections from his time at the OTC.

3. Alumni with proven coaching track records running well funded programs at their alma mater are a dangerous combo that are capable of doing great things due to their own pride in the school, relationships with alumni, familiarity with local community and the ability to sell the university to recruits.

Add all of that on top of Zeke's international stature/ reputation and its hard to argue that ASU could have made a better hire.

My money is on Lou Rosselli heading to Co Springs while Ryan plugs the gap for a year before making room for Stieber to remain on staff as a volunteer while he trains & competes on the Sr level.

Rameses

This seems like a wise move for ASU. They will need to sign him to a long-term, lucrative deal...One thing is for sure, if Art Martori wants Zeke, he will get Zeke....He has the resources and his resources are way bigger than you can imagine.

I am excited about this hire for the SunDevils. ASU needs a change of culture in their program not just a change of coach. Zeke is the right man to get things back on track. Zeke was a part of the good times at ASU and I know he has a lot of pride for the program. I'm sure his assistant hires will be solid as well. Not to mention that he brings instant credibility to the program for recruiting.

I think the key to this whole thing is that the Riches Wrestling Center will now serve as an RTC as many of the strong programs have the advantage of. Sunkist will have senior athletes back in Tempe like they once did. The question is what senior level guys will come ?

I know I am in the minority here but I don't believe the Jones will turn that program around. I don't think he will be able to pull recruits from the Big 3

I think most people agree Zeke won't take recruits away from the Big 3. However, he only needs to get the top recruits available outside of the commits to the powerhouses programs. If ASU can become a top 10 program, recruiting gets a lot easier with each increase up the ladder. Many kids will want to go wrestle for a World Champion, and Olympic Silver Medalist that was once the national team coach if they have aspirations beyond college.

@IronChef, really, do you think that he is going to out recruit Iowa, Oklahoma State, or Penn State? There is nothing that says that he is going to be able to develop guys. He is been focused on F/S for a couple of years so how will he adjust to helping guys get off the bottom or scrambling. I don't know if he can or not but without recruiting is about as tough as it gets now because the big 3 dominate recruiting but now guys have more options to wrestling in the Big 10. I believe that top recruit wish list looks like this: 1) Big Ten 2) Big 3 3) IVY (Corner, Northwestern, ie)

@IronChef, really, do you think that he is going to out recruit Iowa, Oklahoma State, or Penn State? There is nothing that says that he is going to be able to develop guys. He is been focused on F/S for a couple of years so how will he adjust to helping guys get off the bottom or scrambling. I don't know if he can or not but without recruiting is about as tough as it gets now because the big 3 dominate recruiting but now guys have more options to wrestling in the Big 10. I believe that top recruit wish list looks like this: 1) Big Ten 2) Big 3 3) IVY (Corner, Northwestern, ie)

He might; he might not. My comment was in regards to you constantly saying Dake should get the job and that you seem to be holding to that, even in the face of Zeke, a world champion with head coaching experience at the college and Olympic level, getting hired.

He might; he might not. My comment was in regards to you constantly saying Dake should get the job and that you seem to be holding to that, even in the face of Zeke, a world champion with head coaching experience at the college and Olympic level, getting hired.

Zeke won't have a hard time recruiting. He is a likable guy and one that doesn't come off like a car salesman as many college coaches do. He is straight to the point and one that many parents will fall in love with as not only a coach, but a person.

wait is Northwestern an IVY or in Big Ten? All these conference changes, hard to keep up

Do you guys not remember how strong Arizona State used to be? Guys on my team in college used to dream about and talk about how awesome it would be to go there. Getting guys there is not going to be a problem if done correctly.

The real issue will be recruiting kids with character that do not want to party too much. With all the tail and unreal party scene (pool parties, etc.) it will take a lot to recruit the right kids and secondly keep them under control. Even in the older days when they were very successful they were known as party guys if I am not mistaken.