Sign in to follow this  
UM158

Zeke Jones to ASU???

So is the new coach locked into the previous scholarship commitment of the old coach? Does Zeke have the ability to clean house? If not, does they have many graduating next year and much money available to recruit with?

Any idea who Zeke might look at for assistants?

Who's kidding who?

Zeke Jones is an amazing coach, a world class coach, in fact.

He'll turn around the program and make it a national powerhouse -- top 10, easy -- in 3 years.

He's got the campus; the budget; the name recognition.

It's a no-brainer.

Zeke can't get rid of them for athletic performance. However, some reports i've gotten is the drug testing is a farce. Put in an effective program that will help clean house. Zeke will do a good job. California just got harder to recruit from because ASU will be the first choice of most kids.

@IronChef, really, do you think that he is going to out recruit Iowa, Oklahoma State, or Penn State? There is nothing that says that he is going to be able to develop guys. He is been focused on F/S for a couple of years so how will he adjust to helping guys get off the bottom or scrambling. I don't know if he can or not but without recruiting is about as tough as it gets now because the big 3 dominate recruiting but now guys have more options to wrestling in the Big 10. I believe that top recruit wish list looks like this: 1) Big Ten 2) Big 3 3) IVY (Corner, Northwestern, ie)

wait is Northwestern an IVY or in Big Ten? All these conference changes, hard to keep up

Northwestern is a Big Ten. It is the commonly regarded as a high-level academic institution, which can get it confused with the Ivy Leagues, which happens to schools like Stanford and Berkeley, as well.

The Big Ten, for the most part, has it all. Most of them are public, state-related schools with high academics, great job rates, amazing athletics and school spirit/tradition. Hard to beat that, unless you're Zeke Jones or Rob Koll and have a whole athletic department behind you.

My bad, Northwestern is not an IVY but the academics is just like an IVY. I think there is a major difference in setting up a couple of training camps and the primary coaching is being done with the athletes personal coach and having to develop guys in your room. Coach Jackson's guys are struggling on bottom and I contribute that to the amount of time he spent focusing solely on F/S. As for guys wanting to make an Olympic team would you pick ASU over Ohio State or Penn State, the two programs that I believe have the strongest RTC's in the country and are Big ten Schools. I don't see it. And lets not forget that Okie State has had a guy make every Olympic team in an insanely amount of time.

Funny thing about Dake is that it wasn't my idea but I would have taken the chance over Jones b/c this chance my not come around again. If jones fails and luster of Dakes 4 ncaa championships fades because he hasn't beaten Burroughs then he won't have the same recruiting impact either.

I like this hire. My personal pick would have been to hire Mark Perry, but Jones has been to the top of the sport. He knows how to win. He's an alumni of ASU but he has been successful elsewhere as a head coach. The last 2 guys were marginal to good assistant coaches. Jones is more experienced than either of them. I also like the emphasis Jones wants to put on developing senior level athletes. That can only help the college program. He was in charge of a successful freestyle program and everyone knows who he is on the freestyle scene. As far as technical issues, he can probably bring in some very good assistant coaches to help him. That's the mark of a good coach, he brings in assistants who are strong where he is weaker. That said I would really like to see him bring in somebody like "he who should not be named" or his older brother.

technical issues? He won FILA's most technical wrestler in the world award. While this is obviously a FS award, it speaks to his technical acumen and attention to detail while competing. In 3 yrs as head coach at UPenn, Valenti won 2 NCAA titles. He will be JUST fine on folkstyle technique and the Sr level athletes are one of the keys to rapid program improvement.

Rameses

what I took away from the 990.

- usa wrestling is doing a good job bringing in donations. the program is headed in the right direction financially

- the coaches are compensated fairly

- (I am of the understanding board members are not paid positions) why are they embellishing the hours worked per week?

- it is good to be the executive director (if you don't have a problem with being grossly overpaid as the athletes in the program scrape by)

Congrats to Zeke Jones at ASU ... time will tell.

Brandon Slay is the best candidate for the job at USA ... and surely the talented staff who would walk alongside of him. Our sport REQUIRES a strong foundation AND innovation, outside the box thinking if it is to evolve to a level of excellence. For wrestling to climb it needs to become more mainstream, it needs new and exciting leadership ... those capable of attracting talent from outside of our sport and the intellect to run it like a business. Slay will not only bridge the gap internally, but has a proven talent to attract/recruit support from outside our sport. We cannot keep rotating the same guys in and out of programs hoping for change. We need folks who can achieve the next-level on and off the mat.