Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Every DI wrestling fan should be excited for next season!

The more I look at the projected line ups for next year the more excited I get. This year is totally up for grabs. There are more teams with a chance to win than I can ever remember.

TOP TIER

1.)Iowa looks to be very similar to this past season but can benefit from the other 3 (PSU,OSU and MINN) losing some serious firepower. They should start out as number 1, but without significant improvement, they could lose to quite few teams.

2.)PSU loses Taylor and Ruth. Even after losing Taylor and Ruth they are still a very solid team and there is no indication that any team is clearly ahead of what they should bring into next season.

3.)Minnesota loses Nelson, Steinhaus and Thorn. They seem to have surpassed Iowa as the "Hard nosed" team. They will still produce 6 or more AA's but I am not sure they will have anyone (except MAYBE Ness) of Championship caliber to jump them ahead of the group.

4.)OSU loses the MOST compared to how they fill in for the losses. Klimara was a bad boy. Morrison, Caldwell, Perry and Rosholt graduate. Smith has surprised us 2 years in a row with how they have performed come tourney time, but he would need a small miracle this year.

2ND TIER

1.)OSU=WILDCARD-On paper and by RAW POTENTIAL this team looks like it could be a POWERHOUSE. However, until you win one you just can't be the favorite. Ryan has had some incredible success stories wrestle for him and some major failures. He has shown he can recruit big time guys and coach them to individual championships. This is the year to see if he can bring them together as a cohesive unit and add tOSU to the short list of DI champs.

2.)Cornell-If Villalonga truly will be allowed another year, this team is definitely in the Championship hunt next year. Garrett and Dean are almost a lock as finalists. Grey and Villalonga should be major contributors next year. Realbuto and Palacio seem to be the real deal. This team has the potential to pull ahead of the pack.

3.)Michigan-It is truly a shame that Whitford didn't pan out. With Whitford on next year's squad I could see them make a SERIOUS run. Coon, Massa and Dutton should score some serious points next year. If the steady improvement that wrestlers like Youtsey, Bruno, Murphy and Abounader showed this year continues into next year, they could be a contender.

UNDER THE RADAR

1.)Northwestern-They have done very well recruiting. They have 2 legitimate title threats in Tsirtsis and McMullan. Harger is back and could improve on his AA finish. As wide open as this year is, they could sneak in.

el

2.)Edinboro-Port, Schopp and Habat all return. Avery, Mines and Pickett have showed they can compete. The stars would have to align, but this is the year where the impossible looks possible.

3.)Nebraska-Green and Kokesh should contend for titles. Sueflohn is too good to have not been an AA and should come out on fire next year. Lambert and Dudley have AA potential. If Abidin can regain eligibility his contribution could be what puts them over the top.

4.)Virginia Tech-I see them more as a potential dual team champ. Everything would have to go right to put them into the title hunt but they are a tough team top to bottom. Carter and Dance will finish high AA's. Brascetta is off redshirt. If the young guys can step it up, who knows......

Who would have thought up to 11 teams have any type of chance to win?

Minor note about MN. Both Ness and Storley return as the highest returning AA at their weights. Schiller as the second highest returning AA. I know a finalist is not guaranteed but to suggest Ness as the only gopher with a chance to MAYBE make the finals is not looking at the whole picture IMO.

Really great post and summary. I for one think it would be great to see some teams that have never won the championship break through. If you told me in the next four years tOSU, Cornell, Northwestern and Nebraska would win championships I would sign up for that right now. Would be very healthy.

From what I have seen at this topic and Projected Lineup topic-

As for now, I would rank them at-

1. Iowa

2. Ohio State

3. Minnesota

4. Cornell

5. Edinboro

6. Nebraska

7. Missouri

8. Penn State (studs would be redshirted?)

9. Oklahoma State (loss of studs are too great)

10. Northwestern

11. Virginia Tech

It greatly depends on Penn State redshirting and Oklahoma State reloading/redshirting

Great list MSU and I am indeed very excited about next season. Agree with you and Bucky...the only team you disagree on seems to be PSU. Are we sure that PSU are planning on RSing their "studs"? If so, I agree with Bucky, but of they don't they will definitely be front runners. Can anyone confirm what PSU will do with Megaludis and Retherford, and any other returners that may RS?

MSU you disappoint me. My Tigers will be knocking on the door next year with Waters, Manley, Eblen, and Miklus all looking to make the podium. Oh well, wait and see...

No slight meant to your Tigers. B. Smith is the guy I want MSU to steal in a major way. With that said, I just am not sold that they will do better than what they did this year. I think Waters will struggle at 133 and with H. Stieber coming back at 149 I am not convinced Houdashelt will do any better. Cox is a stud but Snyder comes into this weight next year and Gadson and Schiller still could give him a run. Duplicating his performance this year is NOT a guarantee. The remaining cast is solid but I am not sold they are true AA threats. I would not be surprised to see a Top 5 finish but I just couldn't see any way for them to boost the point total high enough to win the title.

I would be HAPPY to see Missouri prove me wrong. If they are in contention on Saturday, I will be cheering for them!

MSU you disappoint me. My Tigers will be knocking on the door next year with Waters, Manley, Eblen, and Miklus all looking to make the podium. Oh well, wait and see...

No slight meant to your Tigers. B. Smith is the guy I want MSU to steal in a major way. With that said, I just am not sold that they will do better than what they did this year. I think Waters will struggle at 133 and with H. Stieber coming back at 149 I am not convinced Houdashelt will do any better. Cox is a stud but Snyder comes into this weight next year and Gadson and Schiller still could give him a run. Duplicating his performance this year is NOT a guarantee. The remaining cast is solid but I am not sold they are true AA threats. I would not be surprised to see a Top 5 finish but I just couldn't see any way for them to boost the point total high enough to win the title.

I would be HAPPY to see Missouri prove me wrong. If they are in contention on Saturday, I will be cheering for them!

not positive, but i thought i read waters didn't do the growing he thought he would and has committed to 125 next year.

Minor note about MN. Both Ness and Storley return as the highest returning AA at their weights. Schiller as the second highest returning AA. I know a finalist is not guaranteed but to suggest Ness as the only gopher with a chance to MAYBE make the finals is not looking at the whole picture IM O.

Minor note, I didn't say Minnesota couldn't have finalists. I said Championship caliber. To me that means WINNING the title. I would not dispute a very good chance of Ness, Storley and Schiller making the Finals. I would simply, as of now, consider them all underdogs if they made it there.

Ness could win it. The problem is he will need to pin Green to do it. I simply don't see him beating Green in a 7 minute match. I think he is Minnesota's best chance at a Champ, but I wouldn't be confident picking him over Green.

I like Storley A LOT. If you look back to my AA predictions you will see I picked him to take 3rd. With that said I still have a hard time picking him as a champ with Evans, Brown, Kokesh and even Wilps coming back. Add in a possible Marstellar, Nickal or even Massa(heard unconfirmed rumors) and I just couldn't put him there yet. I like Schiller a lot but McIntosh exposed a weakness and I just don't see him beating at least 2 of the following: Cox, Snyder, McIntosh and Gadson to win a title. I think Minnesota has enough power to win the title but if I had to bet whether or not they would have an Individual Champ I would have to bet on No.

I think both Dardanes wake up for their senior year and AA. Ness, Storley and Schiller are locks. I stayed conservative and picked 1 more AA of the remaining 5 unproven guys. 6 AA's could win it for them, it is simply a matter of how high they end up on the podium.

not positive, but i thought i read waters didn't do the growing he thought he would and has committed to 125 next year.

I am not sure that is any better for Waters or Missouri. If the cut to 125 becomes harder, that can't help. If Megaludis doesn't redshirt the best he finishes is 4th. I also have to admit I have some bias. Wrestlers that are VERY one dimensional(especially when it is riding, even Simmons had this problem) require the right draw and lack of scouting to AA(in Simmons case it was to make the finals). I simply never pick these guys to make a run to the finals as they seem to get exposed on the Big Stage.

Again, I will be happy if Waters helps Missouri prove me wrong.

I agree that the road looks tougher at 125, considering he already has a win over Beckman. Nobody knows better than Alan that he hasn't proven he can get it done Friday night, but considering Mega needed the quickest 2 count in history on a granby roll and a coaching brain fart to win last time, acting like Waters can't make the finals is silly.

As for the supporting cast, the rest are wishful thinking, but LaVallee went under the radar considering his only losses were to Dieringer and then giving Green his closest match in the wrestlebacks in the R12. That kid is gonna be right there next year, you watch.

Word is Cox is going HWT - gonna be great to see if anyone can cope with his offensive arsenal. One thing I know for certain is he will NOT become a stand-and-push heavy. He's gonna flat wear those big boys out by the end of the first.

And finally, you and the MSU faithful just stay the hell away from Brian! We like him right where he is.

I agree that the road looks tougher at 125, considering he already has a win over Beckman. Nobody knows better than Alan that he hasn't proven he can get it done Friday night, but considering Mega needed the quickest 2 count in history on a granby roll and a coaching brain fart to win last time, acting like Waters can't make the finals is silly.

As for the supporting cast, the rest are wishful thinking, but LaVallee went under the radar considering his only losses were to Dieringer and then giving Green his closest match in the wrestlebacks in the R12. That kid is gonna be right there next year, you watch.

Word is Cox is going HWT - gonna be great to see if anyone can cope with his offensive arsenal. One thing I know for certain is he will NOT become a stand-and-push heavy. He's gonna flat wear those big boys out by the end of the first.

And finally, you and the MSU faithful just stay the hell away from Brian! We like him right where he is.

Excellent Tigerfan - Tiger Style and Brian stay in Columbia Mo - LaVallee will AA - Mayes is coming folks this guy has talent - We have a lot of question marks that are talented question marks - It all comes together for MIZZOU in St LOU

Minor note about MN. Both Ness and Storley return as the highest returning AA at their weights. Schiller as the second highest returning AA. I know a finalist is not guaranteed but to suggest Ness as the only gopher with a chance to MAYBE make the finals is not looking at the whole picture IM O.

Minor note, I didn't say Minnesota couldn't have finalists. I said Championship caliber. To me that means WINNING the title. I would not dispute a very good chance of Ness, Storley and Schiller making the Finals. I would simply, as of now, consider them all underdogs if they made it there.

Ness could win it. The problem is he will need to pin Green to do it. I simply don't see him beating Green in a 7 minute match. I think he is Minnesota's best chance at a Champ, but I wouldn't be confident picking him over Green.

I like Storley A LOT. If you look back to my AA predictions you will see I picked him to take 3rd. With that said I still have a hard time picking him as a champ with Evans, Brown, Kokesh and even Wilps coming back. Add in a possible Marstellar, Nickal or even Massa(heard unconfirmed rumors) and I just couldn't put him there yet. I like Schiller a lot but McIntosh exposed a weakness and I just don't see him beating at least 2 of the following: Cox, Snyder, McIntosh and Gadson to win a title. I think Minnesota has enough power to win the title but if I had to bet whether or not they would have an Individual Champ I would have to bet on No.

I think both Dardanes wake up for their senior year and AA. Ness, Storley and Schiller are locks. I stayed conservative and picked 1 more AA of the remaining 5 unproven guys. 6 AA's could win it for them, it is simply a matter of how high they end up on the podium.

Ic I guess just a different definition interpretation as I consider a finalist having championship potential.

Explain how you determined Storley to be an underdog if he were to make the finals? I could see it being declared a tossup if he were to meet Kokesh, Brown or Evans, but I would have a hard time labeling Storley(or any of the other 3) an underdog against any of the competition. I am not suggesting you need to declare Storley as a favorite, but I would certainly think he should gather some championship caliber discussion.

Also with rumors of Cox moving up to 285, Schiller could be the highest returning AA at that weight as well. Just an FYI that I failed to note previously.

Ic I guess just a different definition interpretation as I consider a finalist having championship potential.

Explain how you determined Storley to be an underdog if he were to make the finals? I could see it being declared a tossup if he were to meet Kokesh, Brown or Evans, but I would have a hard time labeling Storley(or any of the other 3) an underdog against any of the competition. I am not suggesting you need to declare Storley as a favorite, but I would certainly think he should gather some championship caliber discussion.

Also with rumors of Cox moving up to 285, Schiller could be the highest returning AA at that weight as well. Just an FYI that I failed to note previously.

I don't mean anything I said as a slight. Simply put, none of the three instill the level of confidence for me to pick them to win their respective weights. Minnesota is on my short list of teams I cheer for. All 3 of tr wrestlers we are debating are on my individual short list. I would be happy to see all 3 win. I just wouldn't pick them to do so.