Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

US Open Preview?

Still don't see any of the PSU guys (including Varner), not Burroughs or Dake (ankle?) either registered.

Still time left. Don't know what the norm is here for registering. Are most usually registered by now or is it normal for people to wait until the last minute?

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2014/April/14/Vegas-Open-mens-freestyle-preview

Seems like Howe is really in between weights. I think he is too small for 189. Perry looked a lot bigger than him in the finals at 174.

I think Howe has a better shot of making the team up a weight than down at 163. It may not be a cut-related decision if he bumps up.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2014/April/14/Vegas-Open-mens-freestyle-preview

Seems like Howe is really in between weights. I think he is too small for 189. Perry looked a lot bigger than him in the finals at 174.

I think Howe has a better shot of making the team up a weight than down at 163. It may not be a cut-related decision if he bumps up.

Burroughs being at 163 makes your argument hold water, but stylistically I think Howe actually has LESS chance at 189. Heavy on the head wrestling isn't going to work for a guy that could be giving up 20lbs to guys benefiting from day before weigh ins. Howe would be SIGNIFICANTLY undersized and his constant pressure and head snaps may not do much to guys like Foster and Herbert who are much bigger.

Burroughs being at 163 makes your argument hold water, but stylistically I think Howe actually has LESS chance at 189. Heavy on the head wrestling isn't going to work for a guy that could be giving up 20lbs to guys benefiting from day before weigh ins. Howe would be SIGNIFICANTLY undersized and his constant pressure and head snaps may not do much to guys like Foster and Herbert who are much bigger.

I'm a fan of Howe. I sometimes feel like I'm in the minority. I actually enjoy watching him beat people up, wear them down, and then go for the kill. I'm well aware of his tendencies and agree that they're better employed against people who are physically smaller and/or weaker than him, which pretty much describes the entire 163 lb weight. That said, he does have Burroughs at 163 and has recent losses to both Dake and Taylor.

Meanwhile, 189 appears wide open. If he's ever going to give that weight a try, it should be now, right after wrestling 174 and 184 all season, as opposed to later, after sucking down to 163. I bet it's not the easiest cut to 163 right now anyway.