Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Hinkel resigns at Purdue

What coach wants a shot at the BIG conference?

If I were Purdue I would go after long time Iowa assistant Zadick, or Becker(bring in Vega, Indiana boy, as an assistant) both guys with BIG ties and neither in place to become successors of their alma matters. I think Zadick is running a club currently.

I'm sorry to see Hinkel go. He was at a competitive disadvantage from a recruiting perspective but his teams always seemed to fight hard and they always had individuals in the AA hunt. He seemed like a very decent guy. Generally speaking, the program wasn't great but at least it had life to it. The truth is that there will always be some programs that are better than others. At least with Hinkel, it felt like Purdue wasn't willing to simply accept 2nd class status.

I'm sorry to see Hinkel go. He was at a competitive disadvantage from a recruiting perspective but his teams always seemed to fight hard and they always had individuals in the AA hunt. He seemed like a very decent guy. Generally speaking, the program wasn't great but at least it had life to it. The truth is that there will always be some programs that are better than others. At least with Hinkel, it felt like Purdue wasn't willing to simply accept 2nd class status.

Agree 1000% - they were on the cusp but had some bad luck in a brutal conference.

Word I here on a few of their candidates list include:

Roger Kish - Head Coach NDSU

Brian Smith - Head coach Missouri

Doug Schwab - Head Coach UNI

Donny Pritzlaff - Michigan Asst.

I don't see Brian Smith being interested. Mizzou is a better program at this point and while it is not the Big 10, the MAC is a much improved conference that he can win regularly while competing to get to a top 4 place at the NCAA's. At Purdue he would be hoping to finish in the top half of his conference and that would be a huge accomplishment

I agree completely about Smith at Mizzou. He should stay put, it's just a better situation, especially with the way the team is looking for next year.

All the other guys on that list would upgrade their situations at Purdue, however.

If that really is the list, I am surprised more names aren't on it. It's not every day that a B1G head job opens up.

If love to see Purdue provide the backing and assistant coaching support (pay) to entice a next generation coach like Gurerro, Schwab, or Pritzlaff (maybe consider Mark Perry) to take the job. Hinkel may not have developed the most successful program, but he put a ton of important pieces in place needed to sustain a solid program. I'd love to see one of these guys come in and use those elements to take Purdue to a higher level in the Big 10. I also think Hinkel's passion for Purdue wrestling could be a great asset to the next coach if he was asked to take a roll as Director of Wrestling Operations or something similar. Though it would obviously take the right new head coach to be comfortable having the former head coach on staff.

Schwaub would be an interesting hire, is Iowa ties, Big Ten knowledge and recruiting passion would fit well with Purdue's standards. If he did go to Purdue that would be the immediate demise of IU getting any local recruits

The other name could be Jaggers

I don't know the ins and outs of this program, but my sense is that blaming the coach is short-sighted.

Purdue is second-fiddle in Indiana to IU, and Indiana is not that strong of a wrestling state anyway compared with the other schools in the Big Ten -- the Iowas; Penn States; Ohio States.

Hinkel struck me as committed, dedicated and passionate.

He had some good wrestlers, and I'm not just talking about his All-Americans.

His teams competed hard.

Like I said, I'm not sure what the administration was really expecting.

I don't know the ins and outs of this program, but my sense is that blaming the coach is short-sighted.

Purdue is second-fiddle in Indiana to IU, and Indiana is not that strong of a wrestling state anyway compared with the other schools in the Big Ten -- the Iowas; Penn States; Ohio States.

His teams competed hard.

Not sure how you could say Purdue is second fiddle to anyone in Indiana. Look at records, strength of schedule and placements in big 10 and ncaa, wrestler retention

You have to wonder why this guy is gone compared to Goldman or Simmons. sorry when you go to big ten and midlands and all you here over intercom is es you wonder if this guy is a coach or past wrestler.

His teams competed hard.

I think a great hire would be Chris Ayres the current Princeton coach. He would probably bring his assistant Joe Dubuque.

I really hope that doesn't happen, and if it does, I'm betting Dubuque applies for and gets the top job at Princeton. Both those guys are doing a great job and I would hate for Princeton to lose them. For the sake of college wrestling, We need Princeton to succeed more than Purdue to succeed.

Dubuque was already an assistant at his alma mater, Indiana, and I don't see him going back to the same state to work at the other in-state school in a lateral job. He is a Jersey boy and would want to stick around Princeton if possible, especially if the top job is a possibility.

I think he means from a fan or Indiana wrestler perspective, not from a quality perspective.

Not sure even Indiana wrestlers would consider Purdue 2nd fiddle to IU when specifically speaking wrestling programs.

As for the academics maybe but not athletics.

It's a shame to see Hinkel's tenure at Purdue end like this.

Scott Hinkel deserves a lot of credit for things that many cannot see. His outreach and impact on Indiana youth wrestling, outreach to the youth wrestling community of Indiana, change in atmosphere in the Purdue wrestling room, an academic success turn around amongst his athletes etc, are all positive impacts Hinkel left.

On a personal level, you could not ask for a more stand up guy than Scott Hinkel. The Purdue and greater Indiana wrestling community was better for having him involved.

As an alumni- the past few years have been rather frustrating for me. On one hand, there were glimmers of hope that Purdue would turn things around. Things never seemed to take off like I thought they would though.

On the wrestling side, things did not pan out. Although his guys fell short these past few years, I will say I think he had a positive impact on the wresting style at Purdue. Those guys may not always win, but they wrestle tough and with heart.

Bad luck with injuries. Quiroga could have been a 3-4x AA had there not been major health setbacks (hamstring), major staph infection (look it up). Braden Atwood will have great success these next few years, in part thanks to Scott Hinkel. Nielsen and Sabatto are turning out nicely.

When you consider what Hinkel was up against, I'm proud of some of the success he had.

Whoever takes this position over will have to deal with a notoriously horrible administration. The geographic location makes recruiting difficult. You have to contend with PSU, MN, Iowa, Ohio State in close proximity. Stellar instate recruits are few and far between. Campus isn't the most attractive, and location isn't the most appealing either.

There is some upside at Purdue though. Strong university academically with good reputation, New wrestling room, Updated gymnasium facilities, new lockerroom etc.

It will be interesting to see how this coaching search will go. It will be very telling of the administration support.