Sign in to follow this  
hammer

it's Official Zeke takes over ASU

You know.. I just don't see how this won't be a huge success. It's just like Penn State - both are party schools, located in/near the nation's best wrestling hotbeds, great academics without the stringent standards of acceptance, and a charismatic Olympic-caliber coach. This is great for not just west coast wrestling, but now that we have a chance at more than just the East dominating.. it's gonna be a fun season. Hopefully Zeke can start the turn around immediately.

I guess this is a good thing for College wrestling. But at what cost to USA Olympic wrestling?

I think with the strong RTCs in place, this may not affect USA OW as much as it might in the past. That said, much of the job is politics and keeping athletes and coaches on a similar page, focused and working as a team, so I don't think it's an easy job by any stretch. Could Burroughs be a athlete/coach? j/k

My vote goes to Lou Rosselli (and I'm not just saying that because he grew up/wrestled near me).

I'll go on record saying I'm not as sure this will bode success for ASU as is everyone else. Zeke is a great manager, and a very likable guy. He's done a great job as National Coach checking his ego and allowing the athletes to be coached by their individual coaches. I think his success at ASU will depend entirely on his choice of assistants and if Brandon Slay is any indication, that spells trouble. Slay had one fantastic 8 month period in his whole career. The ultimate peak. A real-life Rocky story. But Rocky is far from the best boxing coach - you get my drift.

I'm happy for Zeke, I think he's earned the chance to settle down at his alma mater and spend some quality time with his family. ASU's success, however is far from assured.

As for National Coach, good luck finding someone who wants that job. No connection with the athletes, brutal travel schedule, and so on. Good money, but the best coaches don't do it for the money and that job offers nothing for coaches that are in it for the right reasons.

That all sounds pretty negative, but oh well.

I'll go on record saying I'm not as sure this will bode success for ASU as is everyone else. ASU's success, however is far from assured.

You're wrong! He's believed to be a great coach, and coaches ALWAYS SINGLEHANDEDLY guarantee the success and failure of rasslin teams. Heck, you don't even need rasslers on a team when you have great coaches. Their presence, alone, will make the team win! 8-)

I'm optimistic that Zeke can turn the ASU program around, but it's interesting that I also remember a lot of very similar hoopla on this message board when Shawn Charles took over from Ortiz. Just looking back a mere 3 seasons ago, here are some of the comments on this message board regarding Coach Charles:

* "I agree that Robles has made tremendous improvement under Shawn Charles. I see him definitely winning the title and if he does that he deserves the Hodge!"

* "Bubba Jenkins is one of those wrestlers .... The kid has crazy talent, and props to coach Shawn Charles for getting the most out of him."

* "Shawn Charles needs some love here. Took a program that was decimated and cut two years ago into the top 6-7. Had a horrible dual meet season this year, had a bunch of injuries to key wrestlers but still managed to get his squad ready for PAC-10s and nationals. Produced 6 automatic qualifiers, 2 PAC-10 champs, 3 AA's and 2 nationals champs. Absolutely amazing job by Shawn Charles, Brian Stith, Ben Askren, Ray Jordan and everyone in and around ASU wrestling."

* "Go Devils! Great job by Shawn Charles and the entire coaching staff. Look for more great things to come from out west!"

* "Great job by ASU and their wrestlers. When was the last time a Pac 10 school had 2 National Champs at the same NCAA Championships?"

* "As a graduate of ASU I am proud of their accomplishments tonight."

I'm not an ASU fan, but personaly I see ASU's success as being critical to the sport of wrestling in the western states. I sincerely hope that Zeke can right the ship, but he's going to have to win the right kind of recruits and develop a new attitude in the room. But I don't think it's going to happen overnight.

The Pac-12 Networks show Sports report is potentially interviewing Zeke today for the show that airs tonight at 6pm. We're wondering if anyone might potentially have quality video footage of him coach throughout the last couple of years.

The Pac-12 Networks show Sports report is potentially interviewing Zeke today for the show that airs tonight at 6pm. We're wondering if anyone might potentially have quality video footage of him coach throughout the last couple of years.

Awesome news. Glad to see wrestling get some TV exposure!