Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Is Iowa's #2 coaching job open?

Rumors about Terry Brands being a leading candidate for the head coach job of USA Greco have been circulating for some time now, and there's new speculation on the international board that it's now a done deal.

If so, this is a big loss for Iowa (Terry is a terrific coach) but also a big opportunity to bring in new blood to the program, which I feel is much-needed.

It's also a great opportunity for a young up-and-comer or established assistant ready for a bigger program and more responsibility to land one of the premier coaching jobs in the sport. If successful, the next step after a respectable tenure at Iowa would be a head coach job somewhere else for the right candidate.

Is this speculation really true?

If so, who should Tom Brands go after?

I'm not an insider, but to me, being a greco coach for the US on the international scene is a loser.

If being the freestyle coach internationally is challenging, given the competition and the domestic expectations . . .

greco is a graveyard. Our talent isn't there (our best wrestlers don't go into greco); the tradition isn't there (no roots; no infrastructure); and the caliber of international competition is so far above where our athletes are.

A truly thankless job.

Who are the former Iowa guys coaching as assistants elsewhere? Perry, Borschel, Joe Johnson, Steiner, Cliff Moore. Anyone else?

Chad Beatty and Matt Fields are assistants at Cornell College.

David Taylor

He would be one of my top picks, although I don't think Cael will ever let it happen. Iowa could really use someone like him, though, someone who wrestles similarly to the way Gable preached but is a more "modern" technician.

Ben Askren's article about Iowa hiring Taylor as a head coach was preposterous, but a lot of his points were spot on. Taylor as an assistant would make 100x more sense and would be a great move.

Borschel, Johnson, Moore, Taylor, and Dake are you kidding me? If Terry, the Associate Head Coach, leaves Tom and the AD will need to fill that gap. Those guys don't even come close. Borschel, Taylor, and Dake could fill an entry level assistant coaching spot somewhere but they're far from Terry's level.

I'm not an insider, but to me, being a greco coach for the US on the international scene is a loser.

If being the freestyle coach internationally is challenging, given the competition and the domestic expectations . . .

greco is a graveyard. Our talent isn't there (our best wrestlers don't go into greco); the tradition isn't there (no roots; no infrastructure); and the caliber of international competition is so far above where our athletes are.

A truly thankless job.

Hasn't USA Greco won a team title at the World Championships more recently than USA Freestyle? I can't remember the dates and too lazy to look it up.

They won it in '07 after being 2nd in '06. Those two years had great results at the worlds, but a disappointing Olympics in '08 and straight downhill since. I think it has been 3 years in a row with no medals.

If true, what about Metcalf as the new assistant at Iowa?

A truly thankless job.

The fact that greco in the US is a graveyard, as you put it, is precisely why the job is attractive to an ambitious coach like Terry.

The pay is the same now (or is very similar) as it was when the greco team won a world title a few years ago, so whether you join a world champion team or a graveyard, financially, it's a wash. Relative to being the #2 guy at Iowa, Terry will probably make more on an absolute basis and a lot more on a relative basis (cost of living is lower in Colorado Springs).

If you're a new guy taking over a world championship team, what's the upside? If you do a heroic job and win again, it's expected. You can only go down.

But if you take over a graveard, what's your downside? It's a graveyard! Zero downside. And what's the upside? Infinite.

Terry is a very different coach than the greco team has had in a long time. He is extremely committed, a workaholic, and has an infectious work ethic (when was the last time you ever saw an Iowa lightweight be out of shape?). He is a huge name and therefore a draw for young talent. All Terry has to do is put better asses in his seats and the program is already improved.

I think it's a great move by USA Wrestling and by Terry. Win-win.

I find it hard to believe that the cost of living is lower in Colorado Springs versus Iowa City. Anywhere along the eastern slope of the Rockies in Colorado is usually fairly expensive real estate. At least when there is winter there, he can go skiing, cross country or downhill. Maybe he'll bring Lewboo in to show how to throw, because I never saw Terry Brands hit a throw in college or international freestyle. I would guess the workouts would be pretty intense under Brands.

As a Hawkeye fan and a huge Metcalf fan, I don't want Metcalf to be the #2. For him, he needs to stay a journeyman getting as much different experience as possible until he earns a world medal. For Iowa, they need fresh blood that can offer a different look, not the same ol' heavy hands domination drill.

I find it hard to believe that the cost of living is lower in Colorado Springs versus Iowa City.

BELIEVE.

Search online for this, don't take my word:

Average rent per month, 1 BR, city center:

Iowa City, IA: $900

Colorado Springs, CO: $586.67 (-35%)

Average rent per month, 3 BR, city center:

Iowa City, IA: $1966.67

Colorado Springs, CO: $1233.33 (-37%)

Average condo purchase price per sq. m., city center:

Iowa City, IA: $1401.39

Colorado Springs, CO: $1205.56 (-14%)

Average monthly disposable salary (after tax):

Iowa City, IA: $3500

Colorado Springs, CO: $2920 (-17%)

So, again, Terry Brands could be looking at a meaningful absolute increase in pay (assuming greco coach pay is comparable to what Zeke was making as freestyle coach) and an even more significant relative increase in pay.

He also gets to do all that snow stuff you talked about. Financially, it's USA Greco top dog over Iowa #2 by a landslide.

Then, professionally, he has no downside and unlimited upside, as I noted.

I love it.

What about compared to Coralville?

With Iowa City being a real "college town" and the Springs isn't ... Yeah, there's a few schools in COS, but that type of sprawl within the large city limits (it's a pretty large geographical city), that could skew the numbers.

What about compared to Coralville?

With Iowa City being a real "college town" and the Springs isn't ... Yeah, there's a few schools in COS, but that type of sprawl within the large city limits (it's a pretty large geographical city), that could skew the numbers.

Doesn't Terry live close to campus? I was basing it on what I thought was the actual situation.

But if you're going to go to Coralville, we can then also do the comp properly and go outside of Colorado Springs, where things get cheaper in a hurry too.

Financially, it's at best a wash and more often than not a better deal at Colorado Springs (if you like snow and mountains and Olympic training centers).

Thing is, once you get out of "Colorado Springs" ... you're not really close to USAW or the OTC. Unless you live in Manitou. Basically what I'm saying is the cost of living in the Springs is overall lower, because it's a lot bigger geographically.

It's basically irrelevant to the original post, but having lived there for 3 years, it can take you a while to get from the northern edge to down near Fountain, which is at the edge of COS proper.

Sounds like another one of those "done deal" rumors to me, but, oh well. However, if it is true, is there REALLY a choice?!

Iowa: About 50 microbreweries and no legal weed.

Colorado: About 230 microbreweries and legal weed.

The choice is clear! 8-)

Sounds like another one of those "done deal" rumors to me, but, oh well. However, if it is true, is there REALLY a choice?!

Iowa: About 50 microbreweries and no legal weed.

Colorado: About 230 microbreweries and legal weed.

The choice is clear! 8-)

I bet the Brands brothers drink macros from the big 3.