Sign in to follow this  
D-1

Tsirtsis vs Pico

Out of curiosity, what is the age difference between them?

Almost exactly 3 years. But it's a particularly significant gap since most kids physically mature the most from 18-20. I remember Gable saying that most college wrestlers improve the most between their redshirt frosh to redshirt sophomore years in part because of physical maturity kicking in hard then (around 20 years of age).

Pico is 17 (will be 18 in 5 months). Born 9/23/96: http://www.themat.com/section.php?secti ... leID=23850

Tsirtsis is 20 (will be 21 in 4 months). Born :8/21/1993 http://www.themat.com/bios.php?page=sho ... actID=2968

Wow cool match if it happens. I say Tsirtsis would have won last summer, this summer I think Pico (A year of straight freestyle training is huge). I really like both wrestlers. If you watched Tsirtsis last match at Jr. Worlds against the wrestler from Iran he wrestled a lot like Pico. A lot of hard snaps got Tsirtsis off balance. He wore Tsirtsis out and beat him 7-2 or something like that. This match could be similar. I think old format with 3 two minute periods Tsirtsis would have a good chance he is so hard to score on.

Pico must have been held back a year then? Only being 3 years apart seems like they are 4 years apart in grade level. Pico is a sophomore this year and Tsirtsis a Sophomore grade wise? If Pico does tech Tsirtsis that would be impressive. Tsirtsis is usually always in the match. He beat Retherford pretty easily last year twice.

Pico must have been held back a year then? Only being 3 years apart seems like they are 4 years apart in grade level. Pico is a sophomore this year and Tsirtsis a Sophomore grade wise?

Who cares about grades, the bottom line is that Pico is 17 going on 18 and Tsirtsis is 20 going on 21. That's a huge gap in age given the ages in question.

As noted, I like Pico by 4, which speaks to my opinion of what he'll become by the time he is Tsrtsis's age. A world champion.

Should be a nice match to see what the future talent of Freestyle in the U.S. is looking like.

I realistically think Tsirtsis has a little bit of an edge right now, but Pico is skilled enough to make it dangerously close. It will be interesting to see how this young many develops over the next few years. Pico may still but his full time dedication to Freestyle could likely put him on the fast track to being a national stud and international contender in the next few years. Cejudo had a few struggles adapting to the top US guys when he first came out, but after awhile made some adjustments and developed into quite a talent (I wish he had decided to stick around full time a little longer). I see Pico having a similar developmental curve, which means while some of our top guys have the edge on him this summer, by next year he will be going back and forth with most of them, and by the following year he may indeed be primed to be our top national guy (depending on his weight).

. . . the bottom line is that Pico is 17 going on 18 and Tsirtsis is 20 going on 21. That's a huge gap in age given the ages in question . . .

Didn't I just read how Pico beat two senior world medalists recently, while T-Shirts didn't even place in juniors over the summer?

What a great match-up.

It's nice to see both guys willing to risk something in order to give us a match we want to see. Tsirtsis is an NCAA champ who is risking a loss to a high schooler. And that risk is very real. Pico has put together some good wins and some hype, and a loss would slow some of his momentum.

I like that Pico is challenging himself, but I am taking Tsirtsis here.

From what I've seen, Pico does not create angles, and he doesn't have a bread-and-butter single or double he can rely on. He mostly just moves forward with constant pressure, and he throws snapdowns in occasionally. Foreign guys might not be used to it, but I don't think it will faze Tsirtsis. Tsirtsis by one or two takedowns.