Sign in to follow this  
D-1

Tsirtsis vs Pico

What a great match-up.

It's nice to see both guys willing to risk something in order to give us a match we want to see. Tsirtsis is an NCAA champ who is risking a loss to a high schooler. And that risk is very real. Pico has put together some good wins and some hype, and a loss would slow some of his momentum.

I like that Pico is challenging himself, but I am taking Tsirtsis here.

From what I've seen, Pico does not create angles, and he doesn't have a bread-and-butter single or double he can rely on. He mostly just moves forward with constant pressure, and he throws snapdowns in occasionally. Foreign guys might not be used to it, but I don't think it will faze Tsirtsis. Tsirtsis by one or two takedowns.

What exactly are both guys risking? And is your desire to see this match the reason they agreed to? I thought they both were risking little/nothing to do an exhibition for the benefit of Beat the Streets.

One could argue most wrestling fans are being deprived, by one of these, of seeing the development of one who might have been CA's best HS wrestlers, and also with no future collegiate experience, exposure, or following. The Cejudo model only works because of an Abbas knee injury.

I'll root for Tsirtsis. He's a collegiate wrestler, a B1G member, an elite university representative, and an American. Four for four.

What a great match-up.

It's nice to see both guys willing to risk something in order to give us a match we want to see. Tsirtsis is an NCAA champ who is risking a loss to a high schooler. And that risk is very real. Pico has put together some good wins and some hype, and a loss would slow some of his momentum.

From what I've seen, Pico does not create angles, and he doesn't have a bread-and-butter single or double he can rely on. He mostly just moves forward with constant pressure, and he throws snapdowns in occasionally. Foreign guys might not be used to it, but I don't think it will faze Tsirtsis. Tsirtsis by one or two takedowns.

What exactly are both guys risking? And is your desire to see this match the reason they agreed to? I thought they both were risking little/nothing to do an exhibition for the benefit of Beat the Streets.

One could argue most wrestling fans are being deprived, by one of these, of seeing the development of one who might have been CA's best HS wrestlers, and also with no future collegiate experience, exposure, or following. The Cejudo model only works because of an Abbas knee injury.

I'll root for Tsirtsis. He's a collegiate wrestler, a B1G member, an elite university representative, and an American. Four for four.

Are you upset with Pico's decision to skip college wrestling?

What a great match-up.

Are you upset with Pico's decision to skip college wrestling?

Disappointed.

I'm more upset that its promoted as an idea good for wrestling. Crossover is good for the sport. Choosing, as a sophomore in HS to eliminate seven/eight years of folkstyle, that would grant an entire year extension of eligibility if an Oly RS is earned, is a choice I wouldn't make. Or one that I would promote.

What exactly are both guys risking?

Allow me to quote the thread you responded to:

As for your second question...

And is your desire to see this match the reason they agreed to?

Great question. Not at all.

I find it interesting that posters are asking about the age difference then proceed to pick Pico. Age difference makes no difference. Just talent, maturity, and skills.

I'd like Tsirtsis by a dec. He has the confidence and experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccrider is disappointed that Pico isn't going the college route, and felt it specifically worthy of mentioning that t-shirts is "an American." Classy move rider.

I will be rooting for Pico, but not expecting a victory. I have been cautiously hopeful, but less than confident, that he would succeed at each endeavor this past year, and he has proven me wrong each time. I hope he continues to do so.

What a great match-up.

Did you really just bring race into a wrestling match that's happening at a charity event? Seriously? Also, what makes Tsirtsis any more AMERICAN than Pico?

Did you really just bring race into a wrestling match that's happening at a charity event? Seriously? Also, what makes Tsirtsis any more AMERICAN than Pico?

Exactly. If Pico is not American, then Tsirtsis is Greek, which matters because....

Seesh! You guys need some reading glasses and a bit of common sense.

What the hell you think the four for four was about? Pico is an American. That makes him one for four in reasons I listed for me to root for him. The only reason to root for him - American. Not even because he was a great HS wrestler in a big state. He may well have been, but we won't get to have it confirmed. He'll be known as a one time champ in a decade or two.

I enjoyed those brief few minutes of Cejudo's brief run (didn't live in AZ or CO, at least those wou did got to see a HS career). I have decades full of collegiate memories that are added to many post collegiate international successes. And I have a much stronger interest in those I've had the chance to follow their careers in some depth, for a decent length of time.

What the hell you think the four for four was about? Pico is an American. That makes him one for four in reasons I listed for me to root for him. The only reason to root for him - American.

If that is really what you meant, then I apologize. However, I will caution you that 99% of the people who read what you wrote would've arrived at the same conclusion most did on this thread. It was worded unfortunately.

I disagree with most of your points on this thread regarding Pico, but I should not have jumped on you about race.

What the hell you think the four for four was about? Pico is an American. That makes him one for four in reasons I listed for me to root for him. The only reason to root for him - American.

If that is really what you meant, then I apologize. However, I will caution you that 99% of the people who read what you wrote would've arrived at the same conclusion most did on this thread. It was worded unfortunately.

I disagree with most of your points on this thread regarding Pico, but I should not have jumped on you about race.

People see what they are looking for...

Edit: I'd like to also point out that nothing I said should have been mistakenly misconstrued to say anything about race. That is totally the reader's interjection. I mentioned nationality, not race.

What dozens, or possibly hundreds of memories is Pico going to create on the way to possible international success? That will be witnessed in person by many tens of thousands (like those who wrestle at multiple NCAA's)?

Frankly, I have a greater interest in foreign wrestlers who chose to wrestle in college over here, if they make it to international events, than Americans that I've no history/experience with.

If it was folk-style I would take Tsirtsis all day, but since it is freestyle I lean towards Pico cause that is all he has been doing. I did see Jason beat Zain pretty good at freestyle last year, but that was almost year ago and he has not doing it obviously all season. Either way it should be an awesome match, and a close one I think.

What does the "American" thing mean? Please tell me what you are smoking. Thanks.

Read the rest of the thread. See if you can figure it out for yourself.

People see what they are looking for...

Edit: I'd like to also point out that nothing I said should have been mistakenly misconstrued to say anything about race. That is totally the reader's interjection. I mentioned nationality, not race.

I don't think anyone was looking for anything. The implication was pretty clear to me (and others) that you were implying Pico was not an American. You never said initially that Pico was 1 in 4. You only said that Tsirtsis was 4 for 4, and since Pico is not a collegiate wrestler, a B1G member, or an elite university representative, the implication was that you were implying Pico was not an American. Whatever you meant to say, this is how it came across. Thank you for clarifying.

Aztec:

"I don't think anyone was looking for anything. The implication was pretty clear to me (and others) that you were implying Pico was not an American."

No, the intention made clear by the following 4 for 4 was that Tsirtsis qualified for my support on all criteria I suggested. I left unsaid how many Pico fulfilled.

"You never said initially that Pico was 1 in 4. You only said that Tsirtsis was 4 for 4, and since Pico is not a collegiate wrestler, a B1G member, or an elite university representative, the implication was that you were implying Pico was not an American. Whatever you meant to say, this is how it came across. Thank you for clarifying."

Hence, my saying people see what they look for. They obviously read something (an unintended and unstated implication) that wasn't there, and even introduced something completely not mentioned at all, race. I'm glad to clarify, but disappointed with the need to. Simple progressive reasoning is apparently lost on this board, and the desire to flame/attack is reflexive for too many.

I initially read CCrider's post the same way you guys did. But his explanation completely makes sense. Especially since he wrote" 4 for 4", it implies that those are the 4 criteria that he finds important, not 4 things that Tsirtis has over Pico. Give him a break, he wasn't implying anything about Pico.