Sign in to follow this  
Wahawk90

Brands

superold, go back to 'go'.

that wasn't an annoying question.

that's all we accept out of you anymore. the question mark is a symbol that signals we can't promptly ignore.

thanks.

Why do you you speak in the "we" this, "we" that? I've always thought that individual poster's opinions are the individual poster's? Is it insecurity? Is it a flo thing?

Since we are talking about how good someone was at their peak relative to another, number of NCAA titles is a pretty stupid way to assess relative levels of peak skill. If I had stated that Fried was better than Stieber throughout his entire career, maybe your brilliant commentary might make some sense, but that's not what I said. For the same reason that Jordan Burroughs or John Smith during their senior and even junior years were very likely better than just about any other college wrestler ever, even though both fall short of making the all-time overall top 10 college lists, it is actually possible for an NCAA champ to have been better at his peak than another NCAA champ with more titles. Given that Fried lost just once earlier in his career to someone other than 3x NCAA champ and Olympic champ Tom Brands, and given that he beat him a couple of times, maybe your 4> 1 argument is not as brilliant as you think it is. While Stieber was losing to a true frosh who just got beat by a HS sophomore, at a similar age, Fried was pinning Tom Brands and upsetting soon-to-be 4x NCAA champ Pat Smith who was 2 college weights heavier.

On the flip side, I think you have to consider the freestyle accomplishments of Fried and Stieber too. Stieber has already made it further in U.S freestyle (where the very top wrestlers in the country compete) than Fried did after about 5 years on the scene. I think that's very relevant. In an ncaa final, I think Stieber is an easy pick over Fried. I'm not even confident in picking Fried over Ramos; I think I'd give Ramos the edge.

Since we are talking about how good someone was at their peak relative to another, number of NCAA titles is a pretty stupid way to assess relative levels of peak skill. If I had stated that Fried was better than Stieber throughout his entire career, maybe your brilliant commentary might make some sense, but that's not what I said. For the same reason that Jordan Burroughs or John Smith during their senior and even junior years were very likely better than just about any other college wrestler ever, even though both fall short of making the all-time overall top 10 college lists, it is actually possible for an NCAA champ to have been better at his peak than another NCAA champ with more titles. Given that Fried lost just once earlier in his career to someone other than 3x NCAA champ and Olympic champ Tom Brands, and given that he beat him a couple of times, maybe your 4> 1 argument is not as brilliant as you think it is. While Stieber was losing to a true frosh who just got beat by a HS sophomore, at a similar age, Fried was pinning Tom Brands and upsetting soon-to-be 4x NCAA champ Pat Smith who was 2 college weights heavier.

Though I think Fried would beat Stieber that is JMO I have no argument with those that would pick Stieber but people picking Ramos over Fried I can not fathom that pick. Where would Ramos be better than Fried in wrestling? Technique goes to Fried, conditioning equal, strength Fried, mental toughness equal. With those I am being generous in giving Ramos a tie at conditioning/mental toughness this is not meant to be a slight to Ramos either.

On the flip side, I think you have to consider the freestyle accomplishments of Fried and Stieber too. Stieber has already made it further in U.S freestyle (where the very top wrestlers in the country compete) than Fried did after about 5 years on the scene. I think that's very relevant. In an ncaa final, I think Stieber is an easy pick over Fried. I'm not even confident in picking Fried over Ramos; I think I'd give Ramos the edge.

JMO I have no argument with those that would pick Stieber but people picking Ramos over Fried I can not fathom that pick. Where would Ramos be better than Fried in wrestling? Technique goes to Fried, conditioning equal, strength Fried, mental toughness equal. With those I am being generous in giving Ramos a tie at conditioning/mental toughness this is not meant to be a slight to Ramos either.

I think Ramos would be able to employ some of the skills that a few past Hawkeyes (and "Iowa style" wrestlers) were able to use against Fried to have success. I think Ramos could possibly beat Fried the way Brands used to.

I don't know if I'd give the technical edge to Fried either.

I just do not see Ramos big enough at all to beat Fried I have seen both wrestle many times personally I do not think it would even be close. For you to say Ramos could do what brands did to Fried you are putting Ramos in Brands category which is not the case at all.

I'm not putting Ramos in the Brands category. I just believe he could possibly wear Fried out similar to the way Brands did. Imo, to view that result as a stretch is to elevate Fried to a category that he doesn't belong in.

I just do not see Ramos big enough at all to beat Fried I have seen both wrestle many times personally I do not think it would even be close. For you to say Ramos could do what brands did to Fried you are putting Ramos in Brands category which is not the case at all.

I'm not putting Ramos in the Brands category. I just believe he could possibly wear Fried out similar to the way Brands did. Imo, to view that result as a stretch is to elevate Fried to a category that he doesn't belong in.

We will just have to agree to disagree but I think Fried is in that category of the very best if not for Tom Brands IMO Fried would of been a 3X champ.

We will just have to agree to disagree but I think Fried is in that category of the very best if not for Tom Brands IMO Fried would of been a 3X champ.

Okay then, I'm not convinced he would be in that category. It's funny that nearly every time I hear Fried's career mentioned, someone always brings up a hypothetical scenario where one or more wrestlers don't exist and Fried achieves hypothetical greatness. :)

You know Bob Fehrs could have been in the category of very best if it were not for Mike Caruso... But in realilty, there was a Mike Caruso. In reality there is a Tom Brands. :)

How about Curious George? Do you think he could wear Fried out? He's not as strong but he does have a tail.

What's the purpose of this question wrestlingnerd?

I'm just wondering. How do you think George would do?

Are you talking about the fictional television character?

I'm talking about the children's book character. Who were you thinking of? And how would that guy do against Fried? And how about against the children's book Curious George?

Is there a larger point that you're trying to make wrestlingnerd?

I'm talking about the children's book character. Who were you thinking of? And how would that guy do against Fried? And how about against the children's book Curious George?

Is there a larger point that you're trying to make wrestlingnerd?

What do you think superold?

I don't know. Does Tony Ramos remind you of a monkey? I'm not sure why you brought up Curious George right after my Ramos comment.

Actually, he reminds me of a small version of Ironman, with the same scowl. Do you think Curious George, the book version, could tire Ironman, the Marvel version circa 1980? How about Ironman, the 2013 movie version?

I don't know. Does Tony Ramos remind you of a monkey? I'm not sure why you brought up Curious George right after my Ramos comment.

Actually, he reminds me of a small version of Ironman, with the same scowl. Do you think Curious George, the book version, could tire Ironman, the Marvel version circa 1980? How about Ironman, the 2013 movie version?

Wrestlingnerd, I don't have time for these fantasy matches involving fictional characters. Why does every Fried conversation have to involve fantasy/hypothetical scenarios? I think this is very telling about where he truly stands as a wrestler.

Tony Ramos was an NCAA champion at Terry's weight. Is there any question that Terry Brands would beat Ramos to a pulp? Come on, Terry Brands wins 133 this year with one arm.

Tom versus Stieber is a different and more interesting question. It is very hard to pick that one. I personally believe Alan Fried was as good as Stieber is now and probably better. And Brands didn't quite own Fried but was the significant favorite. I know the transitive property doesn't work in wrestling, etc. etc. I just think junior or senior Tom would beat junior Stieber but it would be very close.

Wrestlingnerd, you owe Stieber an apology for picking Fried over him. Quit with the Stieber slights please. :)

Doesn't this (a "slight") depend on who the Ohio homers pick?

Tony Ramos was an NCAA champion at Terry's weight. Is there any question that Terry Brands would beat Ramos to a pulp? Come on, Terry Brands wins 133 this year with one arm.

Tom versus Stieber is a different and more interesting question. It is very hard to pick that one. I personally believe Alan Fried was as good as Stieber is now and probably better. And Brands didn't quite own Fried but was the significant favorite. I know the transitive property doesn't work in wrestling, etc. etc. I just think junior or senior Tom would beat junior Stieber but it would be very close.

Wrestlingnerd, you owe Stieber an apology for picking Fried over him. Quit with the Stieber slights please. :)

Doesn't this (a "slight") depend on who the Ohio homers pick?

The slight comment was just a joke I made. It was in reference to the True Freshman Dake vs. Stieber thread.

Wrestlingnerd, I don't have time for these fantasy matches involving fictional characters. Why does every Fried conversation have to involve fantasy/hypothetical scenarios? I think this is very telling about where he truly stands as a wrestler.

You don't have time? Why not superold? Are there just too many very important threads to respond to? Especially the ones with fantasy matches more worthy of your time?

Do you think Ironman could beat freshman Dake then? Is that one that might be worthy of your valuable time?