Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Other Sports and how they can help with Wrestling

^^Physiological bit of a problem with cross country is that long distance aerobic training will condition fast-twitch muscle fiber (necessary for explosive movement) to act more like slow-twitch fiber. I wouldn't have wrestlers running for more than say 25 maybe 30 minutes at a time.

Focus on heart rate and total length of workout. Have wrestlers warm up 10-15 minutes easy, stretch. Then get into a set of intense repeats. How many and for how long depends on the athlete.

imo - you could adapt mihaly igloi's training methods to wrestling and not lose explosiveness and benefit with building your max VO2.

I'll leave it up to Google or a PM if interested to explain his training methods further.... 8-)

Dan Gable ran a lot. That should end the argument.

I would argue that Gable's training regimen contributed significantly to the ending of his competitive career and the hip replacement he had at the relatively young age of 48.

A few years ago, Ryan ran the Columbus Marathon, along with Colt Sponseller.

Training for a marathon right before wrestling season is a terrible idea.

The science available simply does not back up the idea that long distance running is the right kind of training for wrestling. I'm willing to excuse Gable's lack of knowledge that wasn't available at the time, but in 2014, you should know better and not lean on anecdotes over evidence.

I agree a marathon is not the right type of training. No doubt the distance of a marathon changes a runner and can take ones speed.

As for Gable being injured from his running its possible but the running isn't not all to blame.

Did Gable change his running shoes enough? What surfaces was he running on - only roads or sidewalks?

Who knows, maybe Gable is a heel pounder, has pronation issues and his running form is horrible.... :?:

^^Distance runs build aerobic conditioning which, along with anerobic conditioning, is needed for wrestling conditioning. However, unless your dealing with a kid who out for wrestling and too fat, there's no reason to use conditioning runs of over 25-30 minutes. Longer runs condition muscle fiber to act to retain (rather than quickly burn) glycogen. Glycogen retention reduces explosevity and allows the runner to keep running for long periods of time.

You can also increase aerobic conditioning by interval training - running up a hill repeatedly, doing 200-meter intervals on a track, up and down stadium steps, etc. Some emphasize more emphasis on interval training later in season to peak.

If you only have say 90 minutes to work with kids in wrestling practice, of course, you're not going to want to send them on an hour jog, then only have a half hour for wrestling. If you want the kid to get up early and take a run say four times a week, no wrestling reason to have him run longer than 25-30 minutes per session (unless way over weight).

Off-season and early fall conditioning. Yeah, I'd recommend using 25-30 minute runs, 5-6x per week to build aerobic base. Of course nowadays you have exercycles, etc. for aerobic conditioning. One thing I used to like about outside running was you can run uneven surfaces, say woods' trails, and uneven footfalls can tend to help ankle strength and flexibility and reduce wrestling ankle sprains. Whatever.

One thing I used to like about outside running was you can run uneven surfaces, say woods' trails, and uneven footfalls can tend to help ankle strength and flexibility and reduce wrestling ankle sprains. Whatever.

Stovepipe ... This is exactly what we did. Out in the country, we had woods, forests etc ... And we ran a true Cross Country style route. Over Hills and Dales . Had to watch out for Cow Pies !!! :o