Sign in to follow this  
TheOhioState

Alan Fried interview, part 3 (conclusion)

I read that interview series when it was first posted on that website (seems like 6 or 7 years ago) and go back and review parts of it every year or two. It is a phenominal piece of work and shows how Fried is a real interesting character.

Great read! Fried is a lot less guarded than a lot of other guys would be -- perhaps because of all the success he had, he doesn't feel like he's got anything to hide.

But his is a cautionary tale, in the sense that, even as a "can't miss" wrestling prospect out of HS, he still didn't have the career that might have been expected, through no fault of his own.

Great read! Fried is a lot less guarded than a lot of other guys would be -- perhaps because of all the success he had, he doesn't feel like he's got anything to hide.

But his is a cautionary tale, in the sense that, even as a "can't miss" wrestling prospect out of HS, he still didn't have the career that might have been expected, through no fault of his own.

"Through no fault of his own"--Care to elaborate?

First and foremost, obviously, Okie State losing its eligibility.

First and foremost, obviously, Okie State losing its eligibility.

I'm not sure that he would have won his Jr. year, and I would definitely say it was "his fault" losing to Brands in the ncaa finals twice.

Tom Brands was born April 9, 1968. Alan Fried was born August 11, 1971.

Through no fault of his own, Alan was spotting Tom nearly three years of intensive training.

I would say Alan Fried had a better training environment in HS than Brands.

Tom Brands was born April 9, 1968. Alan Fried was born August 11, 1971.

Through no fault of his own, Alan was spotting Tom nearly three years of intensive training.

I'd agree with that. I do think that if Fried had gone to Iowa, we might have seen him as the first D1 four-timer- two weight classes before Pat Smith. Total conjecture, I realize, but it's possible, with Gable's influence, Fried might have remained dominant over Tom Brands.

Obviously that didn't happen. Fried gives the highest praise to Tom Brands in the interview, too.

What exactly did he do to get in trouble? I either missed it or wasn't in there.

Fried didn't do anything. The Oklahoma State coach Joe Seay did and the NCAA almost killed the program. They wound up having to lose a year of eligibility and anyone who wanted out was free to transfer. I know TJ Jaworsky transferred to North Carolina. There were some others who left, but Fried stayed. He mentioned that if he would have gone anywhere it probably would have been Ohio State.

I'd agree with that. I do think that if Fried had gone to Iowa, we might have seen him as the first D1 four-timer- two weight classes before Pat Smith. Total conjecture, I realize, but it's possible, with Gable's influence, Fried might have remained dominant over Tom Brands.

Obviously that didn't happen. Fried gives the highest praise to Tom Brands in the interview, too.

Of course that's all speculation, and I strongly disagree with it. "If Fried had gone to Iowa" it's funny to hear this. Fried went to the 2nd best program in the country at the time. Fried had great coaches, teammates, training facilities, fan base, etc. I'm not sure why that scenario is often mentioned whenever Fried is discussed. Of course Iowa was great back then, but before Fried arrived, they failed to win the ncaas for 4 consecutive years. In Fried's true freshman year, Okie State won nationals and they did so again in his Sr. year. Fried was at a very good program, a program very comparable to Iowa. A program that was capable of producing a 4 time ncaa champion.

Fried was a talented wrestler, but in my opinion he is way overrated. I believe he gets too much credit for losing to Brands in the finals. I personally consider those losses to be more of negative than a positive. Fried was definitely very good, but he didn't rise to the occasion twice against a wrestler that he was capable of beating. Fried was good to very good, but not great. I often see people (most always from Ohio) trying to sneak his name in there amongst the greats. No offense intended.

What exactly did he do to get in trouble? I either missed it or wasn't in there.

That's a matter of public record. Charged with assault and attempted murder during a bar fight in a Cleveland area night spot. Arrested, with two co-defendants, November 2000. Ended up pleading guilty to simply assault.

If memory serves, the prosecutor was going to attempt to make the case of "assault with a deadly weapon" where his wrestling ability was to be considered the deadly weapon.

" Fried was DEFINITELY very good.... Fried was good to very good, but not great."

Looks like you have slight disagreement with yourself.

You're right. I should have said he's between good and very good, with very good being the limit. In other words, very good at best, but not great.

Lol LkwdSteve^^^^^^

I guess a 3 time NCAA finalist and one time champ---not to mention his freestyle accolades makes him good to very good-but not great. Wow.

Yes, he's not great. One time champ, 3 time finalist and all. I'm not sure why you "wow" that, nearly every single person I've heard claiming greatness for Fried was from Ohio. Not even many Okie State fans claim that from my experience. Probably because they have so many undeniably great wrestlers and they know Fried is not up to par with those guys.

Btw, since you mention it, what exactly are Fried's freestyle accolades?

3 out of 3 eligible years makes the NCAA finals wins it once and only loses to Tom Brands a 3x NCAA champ, World Champ, Olympic Champ.

Looks pretty great to me.

I agree, He's pretty great. But is he really, really great? :D

The burning questions are:

Is he is more great than David Taylor?

What would his margin of victory be in a fantasy match up with Dake?

3 out of 3 eligible years makes the NCAA finals wins it once and only loses to Tom Brands a 3x NCAA champ, World Champ, Olympic Champ.

Looks pretty great to me.

He lost one other time to somebody who wasn't Brands.