Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Amazing How Powerful The Iowa Influence Under Gable Was!

Reading Alan Fried's article was yet another eye opener. He wrestled for OkState and OPENLY states how he would have rather gone to Iowa and wrestled for Gable. In fact, he even went to train there post-collegiately. I know he was at OkState right in the middle of their being sanctioned. That had to play a part in his not sounding 100% loyal in his interview. However, I can't believe how open he was about it.

Even with the draw Sanderson has now, I don't see him as nearly the Icon Gable was. Will there ever be as POWERFUL of a Head Coach as Gable was? With the advances in technology and Social Media I just don't see one guy being so far above the rest!

Same deal going on right now at PSU with Cael. I'm olde enuf to remember Gable's college career, and loss in college, then his coaching career. We now are seeing something very similar with Cael. I don's see PSU having as long of a National Title run as Iowa, as I believe there is more parity in the D1 ranks.

I was at OU when Gable went to,Iowa as an assistant. I remember Kurdlemeier saying that Dan would be remembered more for his coaching than his wrestling. We thought he was nuts. Turns out he was right.

Cael will go down as being considered along with Gallagher and Gable as the all time greatest college coaches in my opinion.

Reading Alan Fried's article was yet another eye opener. He wrestled for OkState and OPENLY states how he would have rather gone to Iowa and wrestled for Gable. In fact, he even went to train there post-collegiately. I know he was at OkState right in the middle of their being sanctioned. That had to play a part in his not sounding 100% loyal in his interview. However, I can't believe how open he was about it.

Even with the draw Sanderson has now, I don't see him as nearly the Icon Gable was. Will there ever be as POWERFUL of a Head Coach as Gable was? With the advances in technology and Social Media I just don't see one guy being so far above the rest!

Melchiore (who transferred in, and was probably gable's project to beat john smith) says "just saying the name dan gable still gives me goosebumps"

I really appreciated Alan staying with the Pokes at the time when the program was in such turmoil. A few guys transferred out, and no one can blame them in any way, shape or form. With that said, I appreciate Alan even more after reading this interview. Supports the case of being an all time great is often a matter of timing. Without Tom Brands, Alan likely gets two more titles. I guess the same can be said for Nate Carr and Kenny Monday. Monday gets one title, yet loses two finals to Nate after beating him in the Big 8 finals both years.

Not to denigrate Gable's coaching but I wonder how many NCAA titles he'd have won if he'd coached at Appalachia State or Duke. Would Duke have 22 NCAA wrestling titles and be famous for "Duke-style" wrestling? Would they be a wrestling school now instead of a basketball school?

I guess what I'm saying is that I recognize that a coach may be great and never win a single NCAA team championship. Gable had some big advantages: he got a coaching job at a Big 10 school in a state fanatical about wrestling and he had huge name recognition and therefore attracted great assistant coaches and had a big recruiting edge. He was an excellent coach besides all that obviously, but there are other great coaches out there that may never even finish in the top 10 at NCAAs because they don't have those advantages.

Cael probably has bigger name recognition now among the young HS kids than anybody else in the coaching game, and I wouldn't be surprised if PSU didn't go on a ridiculous tear until Cael tires of coaching and moves on, similar to Iowa in it's glory days under Gable.

Iowa was not a powerhouse program when Gable was hired as an assistant. Iowa State, Cornell College, Northern Iowa had all won NCAA championships, but Iowa had never won one. Had Iowa State come up with an assistant coaching job for Gable two days earlier history of wrestling in Iowa would be totally different. Gable's importance can't be underestimated in my opinion. Gary Kurdlemeier's importance in building Iowa's program however, is grossly underrated.

Same deal going on right now at PSU with Cael. I'm olde enuf to remember Gable's college career, and loss in college, then his coaching career. We now are seeing something very similar with Cael. I don's see PSU having as long of a National Title run as Iowa, as I believe there is more parity in the D1 ranks.

I don't think so but that is funny. Kolat said the same think about wanting to wrestle for Gable but was not recruited. I think Gable sits at the top by himself. I have been impressed with John Smith and their performances at NCAA's the last two seasons. It has gotten over looked because they didn't win but he won 5 in a row, placed second last year when they were not expected to and had 5 in the finals, way more than anybody else. As for Cael, he can't even be put in the conversation unless he wins again next year. I don't know if their has ever been a coach that 2 guys on the team at the same time that pretty much guaranteed to make the finals and give you bonus points on the way.

I don't think so but that is funny. Kolat said the same think about wanting to wrestle for Gable but was not recruited. I think Gable sits at the top by himself. I have been impressed with John Smith and their performances at NCAA's the last two seasons. It has gotten over looked because they didn't win but he won 5 in a row, placed second last year when they were not expected to and had 5 in the finals, way more than anybody else. As for Cael, he can't even be put in the conversation unless he wins again next year. I don't know if their has ever been a coach that 2 guys on the team at the same time that pretty much guaranteed to make the finals and give you bonus points on the way.

I notice a huge increase in respect for Taylor and Ruth now that they've graduated and can be used as an argument for why Cael isn't really all that.

@PhiferFuqua I think most people have always had a lot of respect for Ruth Taylor, most point out that Cael didn't recruit Ruth and by letting Long on the team he valued winning over anything else. I just don't think you can put him in the same category of Gable and Smith.

Iowa was not a powerhouse program when Gable was hired as an assistant. Iowa State, Cornell College, Northern Iowa had all won NCAA championships, but Iowa had never won one. Had Iowa State come up with an assistant coaching job for Gable two days earlier history of wrestling in Iowa would be totally different. Gable's importance can't be underestimated in my opinion. Gary Kurdlemeier's importance in building Iowa's program however, is grossly underrated.

Iowa wasn't a powerhouse before Gable, but they finished in the top 7 at NCAAs 3 of the 5 years before he became Iowa's head coach.

Kurdlemeier laid the foundation by bringing in Gable and Jay Robinson as assistants. Iowa was getting better, but never won until Gable got there. Gary gave Gable credit for elevating how hard the team worked.

Smith has coached 5 championship teams at OSU. He had one after the "death penaty" suspension, and then 4 in a row later on after Gable wasn't coaching anymore. John's teams could have the last two years, but each year one wrestler cost them. Z had Nelson beat with 40 seconds to go and lost in the semis. This year Morrison wrestles great all year, comes in as the 4 seed and doesn't place.

@PhiferFuqua I think most people have always had a lot of respect for Ruth Taylor, most point out that Cael didn't recruit Ruth and by letting Long on the team he valued winning over anything else. I just don't think you can put him in the same category of Gable and Smith.

You wouldn't have let Long on the team?

Get real.

I'm not saying that I would or would not. Were talking about Cael and to win a national title he put a guy on his team that had problems that he knew about. That same guy came on campus and did something worse. I'm saying he doesn't belong in the greats conversation.

I'm not saying that I would or would not. Were talking about Cael and to win a national title he put a guy on his team that had problems that he knew about. That same guy came on campus and did something worse. I'm saying he doesn't belong in the greats conversation.

To be fair, there was no way Cael could've known the kid would turn into someone capable of raping moms. What happened in that specific situation was obviously terrible and in hindsight a very poor judgment call by Cael, but it's not like Cael knew THAT would happen beforehand. I'm sure everyone was stunned when it happened.

Other top coaches have put guys with similar problems on their teams before, it's just that in Cael's case, the problem blew up beyond anyone's reasonable expectation.

I agree that Cael is not in the same conversation as Gable or even Smith yet, but he's probably a few seasons away. He's pretty close.

Yep, Cael knew that Long had a serious drinking problem b/c he had it when Cael was at Iowa State. Cael knew that he got kicked off the team because he refused to go to rehab to address he drinking problem and not only did he accept him on his team but he recruited him to come to Penn State.

Yep, Cael knew that Long had a serious drinking problem b/c he had it when Cael was at Iowa State. Cael knew that he got kicked off the team because he refused to go to rehab to address he drinking problem and not only did he accept him on his team but he recruited him to come to Penn State.

Give Cael some time. My comment was directed to his "Career as of Now" .... up to this point in time. He is just getting started.

The one must influential residual from Gables' career was the "Iowa Style" ... The tough, brutal, punishing style of wrestling. We had a kid come back from a "camp" back in the day, and it just floored us!!! He had just become a monster over the summer at that Iowa Camp. That to me, as a young wrestler back in the late 60's and early 70's, was the style change influence. And a lot of coaches started to emulate that style.

Give Cael some time. My comment was directed to his "Career as of Now" .... up to this point in time. He is just getting started.

The one must influential residual from Gables' career was the "Iowa Style" ... The tough, brutal, punishing style of wrestling. We had a kid come back from a "camp" back in the day, and it just floored us!!! He had just become a monster over the summer at that Iowa Camp. That to me, as a young wrestler back in the late 60's and early 70's, was the style change influence. And a lot of coaches started to emulate that style.

I love it when guys bring up the issues with his "transfer" .... When the Brands boys showed up at Iowa, as they also had an off the mat issue. Just sayin... Sling a bit of mud, and you get some on yourself.

Read carefully: Wahawk90

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

I love it when guys bring up the issues with his "transfer" .... When the Brands boys showed up at Iowa, as they also had an off the mat issue. Just sayin... Sling a bit of mud, and you get some on yourself.

Read carefully: Wahawk90

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm[/quote.

Wahawk90 ... Go to SI Vault and read:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm