Sign in to follow this  
Itmeagain

Great Job for Notre Dame College

Notre Dame College has been doing a hell of a job building a wrestling program that started in 2006. 4 years later they are 2 time NAIA Champs followed by NCWA championship last season and dont seem to be slowing down. Now they are D2 program and had a hell of a recruiting class (rated top non D1 recruiting class) that includes

Tank Knowles

Joey Davis

Jonatan Rivera

Orlando Scales

just to name a few. Notre Dame had a great showing a Eastern Michigan Open placing three firsts Jonatan Rivera (first place at 149 pounds-freshman/sophomore division), Louden Gordon (first at 157-freshman/sophomore) and Joey Davis (first at 165- freshman/sophomore), two seconds (Maurice Miller-FS 141, Charles Mason-FS 184), one fourth (Anthony Burge-FS 165), one sixth (James Jenkins-FS 133) and two eighths (Eric Burgey-149, Brandon Johnson-184). Very talented team that has the skill to become D2 champs this season.

Hopefully Notre Dame College makes the jump to D1 in the upcoming years...I just wanted to give them a tip of the headgear for doing a good job and to keep it up ...they have great Coaches and staff and I dont see them slowing down anytime soon.

What would stop Notre Dame College from becoming a D1 school in the near future?

What would stop Notre Dame College from becoming a D1 school in the near future?

An entire athletic department has to reclassify. The process usually takes more than five years.

Then why are there places like Edinboro that is D2 in almost every sport, but wrestling is D1?

NCAA member schools may choose to 'showcase' one male and/or one female sport in division-i as long as it is not football or basketball (rule was put in place due to Georgetown playing in division-iii in ever sport but basketball). If the school is a member of division-iii they are not allowed to offer their division-i athletes scholarships (Franklin & Marshall). There are a few schools that got an exemption through proposition 65-1 (most notable are Hopkins lax and Clarkson Hockey) but there are no new exemptions being offered. RIT Ice-Hockey made the frozen four two years ago after making the move to division-i and not being able to offer any scholarships.

Lock Haven showcases wrestling and women's field hockey. Wresting has been in Division-I since the split from the College/University days while Field Hockey made the move in 2004.

Lets also remember if Notre Dame College was D-1 some of these recruits would not qualify. That is why they did not go D-1 in the first place.

Good point. They found the winning formula for non-D1 divisions by grabbing any d1 washouts or blue chippers who fell through the cracks for whatever reason. Lindenwood, which won the 3 NAIA titles before Notre Dame's run, was also very good at this.

Obviously if they competed D1 then they would have to find a new formula for success, but we still need to see if they can dominate d2 like they did NAIA.

Very good program though. No doubt about that.

For clearification I think you were refering to the transfers the programs has gotten over the years and that may be correct for some of the team...but the guys I listed as recruites have come to the program from high school and not as college transfers. Notre Dame College is a great school and not by any means a easy walkthrough...Its great to see the guy that had previous issues at other institutions and survive at Notre Dame College...probably alot of hard work done behind the scenes by the coach to keep the guys focused...

Im excited to see how they do in D2 I think they will finish top 3

Lets also remember if Notre Dame College was D-1 some of these recruits would not qualify. That is why they did not go D-1 in the first place.

Good point. They found the winning formula for non-D1 divisions by grabbing any d1 washouts or blue chippers who fell through the cracks for whatever reason. Lindenwood, which won the 3 NAIA titles before Notre Dame's run, was also very good at this.

Obviously if they competed D1 then they would have to find a new formula for success, but we still need to see if they can dominate d2 like they did NAIA.

Very good program though. No doubt about that.

For clearification I think you were refering to the transfers the programs has gotten over the years and that may be correct for some of the team...but the guys I listed as recruites have come to the program from high school and not as college transfers. Notre Dame College is a great school and not by any means a easy walkthrough...Its great to see the guy that had previous issues at other institutions and survive at Notre Dame College...probably alot of hard work done behind the scenes by the coach to keep the guys focused...

Im excited to see how they do in D2 I think they will finish top 3

No I don't think they were referring to transfers. A couple of the guys you listed would not have qualified academically for a DI program. There is a reason they are at Notre Dame.

I put this post up to tell a program Good Job for doing what there doing ...having kids come for whatever reason and having them stay and working with other in the same situation...And also winning and pulling guys to Notre Dame College...

BUT instead its seems like you guys are trying to put them down instead of shaking their hand...there are tons of D1 to D1 transfers from kids that could make it at one school for one reason or another and many times these kids improve the team...what is so different between them and Notre Dame College...Maybe some kids do better at small school or a smaller city...you never know what or why it doesnt workout at on school and works for another...

Lets just keep it to patting these guys on the back for making it work for their situation...

I think I was misunderstood. I am a huge fighting Irish fan and I hope they go undefeated and defeat Alabama for the national title, and I would shake Chip Kelly's hand any time if I ever ran into him.

You realize that these are two completely different Notre Dames right?

I wish all of these young guys well, and it's good to see commitment to the sport at the collegiate level. I've never been a fan of programs that excel in athletics by being "flexible" with the types of recruits they bring in, whether it's academic or character issues. I'm not saying that's the case here, but in general.

I wish all of these young guys well, and it's good to see commitment to the sport at the collegiate level. I've never been a fan of programs that excel in athletics by being "flexible" with the types of recruits they bring in, whether it's academic or character issues. I'm not saying that's the case here, but in general.

A similar conversation was played out when Davis signed with Notre Dame. Admission standards can be looked up and comparisons made. I think it's legitimate to ask if this huge roster has huge turnover (which sure seems to be the case), and if there is diligent work toward college degrees occuring. This is what college sports is supposed to be about.

That said, if Romano has had his AD and upper administration fully on board with what has accomplished and how he has done it, then that's on them.

I put this post up to tell a program Good Job for doing what there doing ...having kids come for whatever reason and having them stay and working with other in the same situation...And also winning and pulling guys to Notre Dame College...

BUT instead its seems like you guys are trying to put them down instead of shaking their hand...there are tons of D1 to D1 transfers from kids that could make it at one school for one reason or another and many times these kids improve the team...what is so different between them and Notre Dame College...Maybe some kids do better at small school or a smaller city...you never know what or why it doesnt workout at on school and works for another...

Lets just keep it to patting these guys on the back for making it work for their situation...

It was somewhat extraordinary to watch. How Frank Romano jump-started the brand new program, by making it the home for the majority of Ohio's last Dapper Dan (undercard) all-star squad, was startling (or even shocking).

However, I wouldn't award Notre Dame the D2 championship trophy just yet.

For the future, I'd prefer that Cleveland State remain the County's D1 program, and that Notre Dame develops a healthy D2 rivalry with Ashland and Findlay, and that all three have a "national say".

We'll see how it plays out.

You forgot about Lake Erie and Tiffin as DII schools in Ohio also. Tiffin, Notre Dame and Lake Erie are all newer programs and off to great starts.

As for Notre Dame, it is interesting to see them pull in recruiting classes that is comparable to a DI school. Just this past year they got two #1 ranked wrestlers in Jarred Brooks and Joey Davis along with some JUCO transfers and other nationally ranked wrestlers.

Added to that is their coach, Frank Romano was at best average at Kent State and now is coaching a national powerhouse. There is something going on here that either is bordering on illegal or simply stated other coaches need to take note of and duplicate it.

I think I was misunderstood. I am a huge fighting Irish fan and I hope they go undefeated and defeat Alabama for the national title, and I would shake Chip Kelly's hand any time if I ever ran into him.

You realize that these are two completely different Notre Dames right?

Yeah, just trying to lighten the mood. The OP didn't seem to like the direction that the thread was heading so I thought I'd try to redirect the convo.

I thought it was funny. However, its Brian Kelly. Chip Kelly is Oregon's coach. Big difference. lol

"You forgot about Lake Erie and Tiffin as DII schools in Ohio also."

No, I most certainly didn't forget about them. We'll see at the end of the year which Ohio D2 programs have had a national say. Have you been paying attention to Ashland?

"I put this post up to tell a program Good Job for doing what there doing ..."

If that's all you did, coupled with praising the specific wrestlers you mentioned, the conversation would have ended already.

Instead, you also brought up the idea of Notre Dame going to D1.

Conceptually, that takes the conversation to a different level, and invites/demands critiques of all facets of the program. Fans will be fans.