Sign in to follow this  
HenDog

Pico vs. Retherford

Both are at 145.5 at Fila Jr. I like Pico if they meet up.

where are you seeing the list? neither are listed on track. i know some guys wrestling in other weight classes that aren't listed on track......

Pico will destroy him most likely in first period.

Retherford was the 3rd best 141...and the only one Stieber couldn't bonus. His offense is lacking. Pico might beat him. But destroyed in the 1st? Not at all likely.

You sound like the typical internet troll.

Tough call...I haven't seen enough of Zain wrestle freestyle to make an educated assessment, but I will say that anyone who has not proven themselves against the top senior level competition (Metcalf, Russell, Oliver) will have their hands full against Pico. Should be interesting.

Retherford was the 3rd best 141...and the only one Stieber couldn't bonus. His offense is lacking. Pico might beat him. But destroyed in the 1st? Not at all likely.

What are you talking about? He got 5th at NCAAs, so claiming he is the third best is a real stretch don't you think?

As far as Pico vs Retherford, I think Pico will win comfortably. Zain doesn't do a whole lot offensively, and does a great job at keeping it close - but I don't think he has what it takes to beat Pico in a FS match up.

Pico because it's FS. It'll be pretty close on the feet because Retherford is a defensive machine, but Pico's heavy hands will wear him down eventually. On the mat, Pico should turn Retherford at least once; yes, Reth is a Cadet World Champ and knows how to wrestle on the mat, but Pico has trained FS full time for a whole year now.

The mat wrestling and Retherford's tank will decide the match.

Sorry PA fans but the "Zane Train" will be stopped at the next station. Zain has very little offense and Pico knows how to "penalize" guys like that. Besides, I expect Pico to definitely have the size advantage.

What are you talking about? He got 5th at NCAAs, so claiming he is the third best is a real stretch don't you think?

As far as Pico vs Retherford, I think Pico will win comfortably. Zain doesn't do a whole lot offensively, and does a great job at keeping it close - but I don't think he has what it takes to beat Pico in a FS match up.

I didn't make the comment that you are referring to, but that comment hardly seems a stretch.

For starters, Retherford wrestled Stieber better, by a good amount, than anyone else. Retherford's only other loss came in his first wrestle back against Port, and that loss was in OT ride outs.

Henderson has more losses to lesser foes than Retherford, and I would take Zain over him any day of the week. Devin Carter may or may not be able to beat Zain. Judging by Carter's getting majored by Stieber, maybe Zain is a little better than he is too.

^Those are fair points, but I don't think that wrestling closer matches is necessarily indicative of being better overall. Henderson did go 1-1 with Port vs. 0-1 as Retherford did (which, admittedly Retherford might be able to do as well if he were given another chance to do so). Carter is a harder one to gauge, but I'm sure he would have performed slightly better if he didn't miss the majority of his season due to a serious injury.

Port did get the takedown to beat Retherford in OT. Tbar who do you like in the matchup, Pico or Retherford?

Beats me. They are both great wrestlers. Pico has been wrestling only free so that is a big advantage, plus any of Zain's riding skills are neutralized. Then again, Zain still won a cadet world title so it isn't like he can't go free himself. It should be very entertaining.

Henderson isn't in Zain's caliber of wrestler, imho. Carter may or may not be. Port was bigger than Zain and it took until OT for him to beat Zain. Not that it really matters.

BTW, who else is going at that weight in juniors?