Sign in to follow this  
HenDog

Pico vs. Retherford

The Zain picks are not giving a rationale..... be nice if you could make your case.

I like Pico because he is a little bigger, has been training in the style, and freestyle has changed to a "more offense" wins you matches approach. Pico has more offense. In defense of picking Zain (which those who think he will win haven't made)...... he is also deceptively strong, good at hand fighting and motion/angles not to be pressured in a box like method (keep them in a box on their feet with heavy hands, footwork, and testing shots - like Gable and Brand(s) did) and is also an excellent freestyle guy who has a Cadet world championship under his belt.

Pico will destroy him most likely in first period.

Retherford was the 3rd best 141...and the only one Stieber couldn't bonus. His offense is lacking. Pico might beat him. But destroyed in the 1st? Not at all likely.

You sound like the typical internet troll.

What are you talking about? He got 5th at NCAAs, so claiming he is the third best is a real stretch don't you think?

As far as Pico vs Retherford, I think Pico will win comfortably. Zain doesn't do a whole lot offensively, and does a great job at keeping it close - but I don't think he has what it takes to beat Pico in a FS match up.

I can read, I know where Retherford placed. I'm saying the only gents in that weight class that can beat him are Stieber and Port.

Zain is a little older has more experience. I believe Zain will prevail.

Using that rationale a fifty something Ken Chertow should beat them both. WAY older with much more experience..... LOL.

Sorta credit for at least attempting a rationale.

Ok no troll here, here are my reason for saying Pico will destroy him.

1. Pico has been wrestling all year free style

2. When USA wrestled Russia Pico tf the Russia 10-0 early

3. Next day Kellen Russell 4x AA wrestled same Russian and needed a take down in last period to win 12-11.

Now if you think Zain is already in the class of Russell you are the troll.

Also as much as I love Metcalf I do believe Pico can beat him just because free style suits him very well.

3. Next day Kellen Russell 4x AA wrestled same Russian and needed a take down in last period to win 12-11.

Also as much as I love Metcalf I do believe Pico can beat him just because free style suits him very well.

Maybe in the future, but right now, Pico is 17 years old. 17. Metcalf is his worst possible matchup because there is no way a 17 year old Pico is going to impose his sill and wear down Metcalf at this point in his development. I can see a very precocious techincal wrestler edging Metcalf out here and there despite still being a boy, but there is no way Pico is going to outMetcalf Metcalf himself right mow.

Maybe in the future, but right now, Pico is 17 years old. 17. Metcalf is his worst possible matchup because there is no way a 17 year old Pico is going to impose his sill and wear down Metcalf at this point in his development. I can see a very precocious techincal wrestler edging Metcalf out here and there despite still being a boy, but there is no way Pico is going to outMetcalf Metcalf himself right mow.

Metcalf will go Hawkeye on Pico for at least two more years.

Lots of people saying Pico will "destroy" Retherford or otherwise beat him easily. Who was the last person to do such a thing? I honestly do not know the answer to that question.

Stieber was as close as anyone has come in a while. Destroy is a strong word, but Stieber did dominate the match.

I have Pico winning, but I'd be very surprised if it's anywhere close to a tech. Zain's style is too defensive to allow for that kind of lopsided score.

I have been watching Zain since 9th grade and I can't recall anyone dominating him. Tsirtsis beat him in a close match last year, but Jason probably walks around at least 10lbs. bigger than Zain.

The toughest guy Zain has faced in any tourney or dual, by far imo, is Stieber.

Tbar, close match? Tsirtsis teched him in just over 2 min in the second match. The first match was 8-3. Tsirtsis dominated the second match 8-0 first period tech

Do you understand who you're communicating with? Do you think he'll ever (without a mountain of excuses) admit that a PSU/PA kid got smoked? Seriously? :roll:

Tbar, close match? Tsirtsis teched him in just over 2 min in the second match. The first match was 8-3. Tsirtsis dominated the second match 8-0 first period tech

You're right. I forgot how lopsided that became. Can't dispute it.

I stand corrected. That was a serious ass-kicking. That last duckunder to get the tech was awesome. I don't think I've ever seen anyone hit it like that, planting the far arm to keep position while sliding the hips under.

So, Zain's last bad loss was a year ago to the guy who ended up winning the NCAA championship at the next weight up. I would imagine a year at PSU where he only lost two two different guys has resulted in vast improvement. So, dominating Zain would arguably require an opponent quite a bit better than the Tsirtsis of last year. Is Pico that guy?

Russell isn't a 4xAA. Just side note.

The brackets are up now. On Pico's side he'd probably get Edgar Bright in the quarters, then either Jake Short, Ty Dippery or Tyler Berger in the semis. Zain would likely get Ashnault in the quarters and then in the semis either Seth Gross or Zahid Valencia.

The brackets are up now. On Pico's side he'd probably get Edgar Bright in the quarters, then either Jake Short, Ty Dippery or Tyler Berger in the semis. Zain would likely get Ashnault in the quarters and then in the semis either Seth Gross or Zahid Valencia.

nice, this will be a fun a weight!

looking forward to see how Ashnault does against Zain. and i hope everyone sticks around for the consis too.

looking forward to see how Ashnault does against Zain. and i hope everyone sticks around for the consis too.

I think Ashnault beats Retherford. They had a super close match at the Dapper Dan and Retherford is first and foremost a rider.

Seems wrong to have Ashnault, Valencia and Retherford on the same side. I'd like to see Pico face more than one of those guys.

I think Ashnault beats Retherford. They had a super close match at the Dapper Dan and Retherford is first and foremost a rider.

Seems wrong to have Ashnault, Valencia and Retherford on the same side. I'd like to see Pico face more than one of those guys.

Neither Retherford nor Pico has been scored on in three matches so far. Zain has won by scores of 10-0, 10-0, and 10-0 while Pico has won by 11-0, 10-0, and 10-0. Can't be any more dominant than that.

Pico has Jamel Hudson next, then maybe Jake Short in the semis. Short won't just roll over. Zain has Ashnault then Valencia in all likelihood.