Sign in to follow this  
skikayaker

Drug Testing

Has anyone on these boards ever been drug tested for competition? If so, what kind of advanced warning did you have, and what were the requirements? Has anyone been required to be tested without notice? Does anyone know of any wrestler who failed a drug test?

Here's a link to the NCAA drug testing policy site:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Health+and+Safety/Drug+Testing/Drug+Testing+Landing+Page

Here are some of their FAQs:

Q: What drugs are banned by the NCAA?

A: The NCAA bans drugs by class, along with any substance chemically related to those classes. The banned drug classes are: anabolic agents; stimulants, alcohol and beta blockers (for rifle only), masking agents such as diuretics, street drugs, peptide hormones and analogues, anti-estrogens and Beta-2 Agonists.

Q: Who is responsible for testing student-athletes?

A: The NCAA and its member schools share the responsibility of not only testing, but also educating student-athletes to prevent drug usage. The NCAA conducts testing at all of its championships, and programs in Divisions I and II through its year-round testing program. In addition, the majority of institutions conduct their own institutional testing programs independent of NCAA drug testing. The NCAA spends more than $5 million annually on drug testing and education in an effort to deter the use of banned and harmful substances.

Q: What is the penalty for a positive drug test?

A: The penalty for positive tests of both performance-enhancing and street drugs is strict and automatic. Student-athletes lose one full year of eligibility for the first offense (25 percent of their total eligibility) and are withheld from competition for a full season. A second positive test for street drugs results in another lost year of eligibility and year withheld from competition. A second positive result for PED usage will render the student-athlete permanently ineligible.

Q: What is the penalty for failing a school-issued drug test?

A: Each NCAA member is responsible for determining whether to establish an institutional drug-testing program, at which time the school would be responsible for determining applicable penalties. If a testing program is established, though, the school is obligated to enforce the penalties. Failure to do so can lead to NCAA sanctions.

Q: Can student-athletes appeal a positive test?

A: Yes, student-athletes can appeal the result and, if ruled in their favor, either have the sanction reduced or eliminated.

this is a little dated, but what the policies used to be:

football could be randomly tested by the ncaa during season at all levels and i believe D I was eligible to be randomly tested year round.

all other sports could be tested randomly at championships events. along with all-americans, a few other athletes are tested at the ncaa tournament.

member institutions can do their own drug testing at anytime.

this was from the early 2000's and without digging into the ncaa site, yes i am lazy, seems to have changed with expanded year-round testing.

Has an AA or NCAA Champ ever tested positive?

I don't believe a champ ever did. There were maybe two kids that tested positive in the 20 years I was the computer scorer. I believe a 177 pounder about 15-20 years ago. I remember being told to take him out of the bracket and adjust the team score. He might have been an AA. I'll try to look on Boomer's site at some point when I can remember better who it was and when it was.

Has an AA or NCAA Champ ever tested positive?

I don't believe a champ ever did. There were maybe two kids that tested positive in the 20 years I was the computer scorer. I believe a 177 pounder about 15-20 years ago. I remember being told to take him out of the bracket and adjust the team score. He might have been an AA. I'll try to look on Boomer's site at some point when I can remember better who it was and when it was.

The more I think of it, at least with the 177, he wouldn't have been an AA. I seem to recall a very minor team score adjustment (maybe 1 point)

Much to my dismay, Washington just passed the Marijuana vote for legalization. (Whole 'nother discussion on a different forum I suppose)

We don't have a D1 team, yet as this trend rolls out across the country, hows this going to work? States may legalize it, yet the FED's do not agree, nor have they legalized it themselves.

I was surprised Oregon didn't pass it. They are way more "Green" then Washington.

States vs. Feds .... Round 2.

I was tested during my freshman season by the NCAA, but never at a competition (D2). I believe Football is required to be tested every so often and when they do football they also pull four guys from two other teams on campus. I remember one football player could not pee with the guy watching. It probably didn't help you had to have pants all the way down shirt up to arm pits and the tester right in your business, but it is what it is. He ended up spending about 6 hours there before finally they made him stand in the shower with it running until he had to pee then they shut it off so he could pee in the cup.

I do know a guy who failed a drug test his junior year at NCAAs after placing in D3. He had taken a diet supplement and it triggered a positive for something. He was stripped and banned his senior year.

I have never smoked a J, but I honestly feel legalizing it and distributing it could be a good thing.
I'm not sure what legalizing marijuana has to do with NCAA performance enhancing drug testing but I can see how the South/Central America marijuana trafficking would be hurt by the free market competition, and can see the advantages of freeing up our drug enforcement agents to focus on narcotics and other immigration problems, and can also see how our correctional institutions and judicial systems would have more time and space for violent criminals and save $millions in tax dollars not having to deal with illegal marijuana crimes. I suppose regulating and taxing the marijuana business would likely create revenue and better regulate consumption. Wouldn't this be a better discussion for a political forum? BTW, I've tried it, can tell you I don't like it nor recommend it for performance enhancement especially as it relates to wrestling : )

Much to my dismay, Washington just passed the Marijuana vote for legalization. (Whole 'nother discussion on a different forum I suppose)

We don't have a D1 team, yet as this trend rolls out across the country, hows this going to work? States may legalize it, yet the FED's do not agree, nor have they legalized it themselves.

I was surprised Oregon didn't pass it. They are way more "Green" then Washington.

Wire, here's a link to some comments by NCAA President Mark Emmert indicating that he doubts that the NCAA will relax its marijuana standards. It includes the NCAA's response to an inquiry from the AP about the issue you raise:

The NCAA banned drug and testing policies are not tied to whether a substance is legal for general population use, but rather whether the substance is considered a threat to student-athlete health and safety or the integrity of the game.

Staying away from all the side issues I do have a serious question.

What about a prescribed medication required for other reasons, for example ADD/ADHD? Some of those medications are technically stimulants but are such a low dosage there is no way they can have a physically stimulating effect but do allow the athlete to concentrate thus perform in the classroom so they can maintain eligibility.

ADD/ADHD is recognized as a learning disability and schools are required to make accommodations for students under several federal and state laws. Can the NCAA actually ignore these laws?

What about a prescribed medication required for other reasons, for example ADD/ADHD? Some of those medications are technically stimulants but are such a low dosage there is no way they can have a physically stimulating effect but do allow the athlete to concentrate thus perform in the classroom so they can maintain eligibility.

ADD/ADHD is recognized as a learning disability and schools are required to make accommodations for students under several federal and state laws. Can the NCAA actually ignore these laws?

If an athlete can produce a prescription for the drug then they should be perfectly fine. The problem arises when a drug like adderal appears in an athlete's system but the athlete has no prescription for it. This has happened at least once in the NFL this year.

Yes, I believe that is what Joe Haden (CB for the Cleveland Browns) was suspended for earlier this fall.

Wire, here's a link to some comments by NCAA President Mark Emmert indicating that he doubts that the NCAA will relax its marijuana standards. It includes the NCAA's response to an inquiry from the AP about the issue you raise:

The NCAA banned drug and testing policies are not tied to whether a substance is legal for general population use, but rather whether the substance is considered a threat to student-athlete health and safety or the integrity of the game.

Thanks .. well played. I was too lazy to look it up.

Q: What is the penalty for a positive drug test?

A: The penalty for positive tests of both performance-enhancing and street drugs is strict and automatic. Student-athletes lose one full year of eligibility for the first offense (25 percent of their total eligibility) and are withheld from competition for a full season. A second positive test for street drugs results in another lost year of eligibility and year withheld from competition. A second positive result for PED usage will render the student-athlete permanently ineligible.

If you are a Junior and this happens, you lose Senior year...can you go NAIA? I am thinking 2 members of an instate team had this happen to them last year and are nowhere now.