Sign in to follow this  
Wahawk90

NIKE is back in the game!

I was told that Nike was getting out of the wrestling shoe biz but it looks like they are endorsing Pico. I hope they follow through and pick up other guys too. I have only seen Stieber wear Nike so maybe he will get one too.

My son works for Nike Portland at the Flagship store.

Was just there this last weekend and did indeed see some really cool wrestling shoes. Also in a back Hallway they had a series or big pictures of the previous shoes they had made over the years. Wayne Wells shoes .. and others. The current ones I saw were just pure, pure white. even the logo. Looked really cool.

I agree, why would anyone who's old enough to remember the way Oregon just dumped wrestling even think about buying a pair or Nike wrestling shoes?

Support those brands that have supported wrestling, Asics, Addidas, Brute. Nike dominates every other market, they'll keep making their money...help the companies that support our sport.

Nike didnt pick up the tab for Oregon wrestling. Neither did USAW, NCAA, ORWAY, Sunkist, or anyone else for that matter. Because a shoe company didnt come save a team with a destructive head coach angers wrestling fans is beyond me, and I live here.

Agreed. People who blame Nike for Oregon losing wrestling are just looking for an easy target to blame because you can't boycott an AD.

Nike sponsors many athletic programs that do have wrestling teams. Making your opinion of Nike a one team issue is shortsighted.

Nike didnt pick up the tab for Oregon wrestling. Neither did USAW, NCAA, ORWAY, Sunkist, or anyone else for that matter. Because a shoe company didnt come save a team with a destructive head coach angers wrestling fans is beyond me, and I live here.

Often times our anger is misdirected. If we go back and really look at the events, the timelines, and the characters, and decision makers, it's was a very convoluted process.... Remember there was a very active, and strong group of wrestling fans who were at the Sharp Point of the "Save Oregon Wrestling" movement.

Snapshot to now, and with cooler heads.... it was a total fail by the Admin at University of Oregon. They caved to Nike, thye caved to the money, and particularly to Phil's wife, who was driving women's activities and baseball. The athletic admin at Oregon failed. They were looking strictly at the money (football), and attributed absolutely no $$ value to the history nor the value of retaining the wrestling program.

I was surprised that Kolat didn't even remember who was the 1st wrestler to have a shoe made by Nike. It was Wayne Wells. I just saw the shoes, and the Posters on the walls of Wayne and his shoes, along with Kolat's.

And if we break it down to pure logic. Nike did not drop those programs, U of O did.

Their new shoes look and feel just AWSOME. Pure white. Lite as a feather, and I actually tried on a pair just for kicks.

Footnote: I may be a bit biased lately as my son just received an offer/opportunity to an Apprentice in the International Finance Group at Nike. He is a Jr. at the U of Portland.

This frik'n board is so user unfriendly, it is painful to try to use it. This may, or may not post, etc., etc.

As a poster, when the site does this ... You can go back and delete the "repeats" and cut it down to one post. Unfortunately it's been like this for a long time. It's on their "To Do" list ... has been for years. :roll:

Kolat interview was great. Those are one of the best shoes made and highly sought after. Most of the ones you find have had bottoms resoled. The best Kolat model was the black/silver and blue/silver. These are hands down my favorite shoe that Nike made, puts the new inflicts to shame :shock:

Yes,

But conversely Nike had a lot to do with the reinstatement of baseball @ wrestling's expense. Add to that the lies that Kilwrestling told everyone about Baseball being a 'revenue positive' sport @ UO. They have a multi-million dollar facility (PK Park - ask in Phil Knight) and draw 1500 or so fans to a weekend PAC-12 series.

George Horton's salary alone could fund a full wrestling staff salary and part of the operating expenses for a season. Since they built the baseball stadium, they built a huge indoor basketball/court sports arena (Matthew Knight Arena) for $200M. Don't tell me Nike has nothing to do with UO athletics

Personally I've boycotted Nike since they dropped wrestling @ hole (a spin on their logo). I love my Asics cross trainers and running shoes.

I was told that Nike was getting out of the wrestling shoe biz but it looks like they are endorsing Pico. I hope they follow through and pick up other guys too. I have only seen Stieber wear Nike so maybe he will get one too.

Taylor and Ruth wore Nike in college.

Issue of support for wrestling programs aside, wasn't the perception of Nike wrestling gear lukewarm at best? They may look cool, but I thought most wrestlers didn't like the way Nike's wrestling shoes performed compared with Asics, Brute, Adidas, etc.

Sheesh! Old dirty, wire, etc, of course Nike didn't drop wrestling at whoregon. They don't start or drop any college program. But support, donations, back door activities (booting an AD to install a completely unqualified (AD with no degree) friend of PK to do nothing but get the Matt Knight Arena built quickly) set the framework, or lack of it, when decisions were being made. Does anyone believe that a decision to drop wouldn't have been "reconsidered" if Phil had mentioned merely in passing that dropping a long standing Olympic sport that provided Nike it's first gold medal won in their shoes would reflect poorly? Remember, the Arena blueprints had mat room included for a long time...until they changed to a coaches hydrotherapy facility and other excessive bling. Simple expression of modest support, with no new money added (in court they admitted it was never a money issue), was all that would have been necessary.

The argument against the coach is bogus (and I'm not a Kearny supporter in any way). He was no better or worse than when they (surprisingly) hired him eleven years earlier...over T Brands, Z Jones (I think?), and others. The athletic Dept deserves blame, if there is any to assign, for not making personnel changes if that was an issue...not the athletic program he happened to be the head of.

This is what kinda pisses me off about the NWCA and what they are doing to the national duals because their focus should be on raising money to reinstate programs that are fully funded at places like Oregon, Notre Dame, in the south. Nike is the type of company that could create a RTC program in Oregon and have their sponsored Olympic athlete train full time there and pay for great Russian partners to come over as training partners on a regular basis but that takes vision from NWCA and USA wrestling.

I'm assuming this is the shoe you guys have been talking about?

mpxxmi9NkFeLre4mSCRzZvA.jpg

It would seem that they have already come out somewhere overseas, as they are all over ebay listed in UK sizes. I was looking for a pair of inflicts and found them. Indeed, they're beautiful, but the Inflict series will always be my favorite - any of them from the first to the latest. Look great, feel great and last a while.

I feel like you can't blame Nike for Oregon's situation, regardless of how funded the other teams are there. I could understand if no other Nike-affiliated institution supported wrestling, but this is not the case. Sure, Portland and the Ducks have a close relationship, obviously - the football and basketball teams get loads of exclusive special edition Nike and Jordan Brand gear year round - but so many other teams are sponsored by the brand, as well, and receive the same treatment (on a much, much, much lesser scale, nonetheless).

Maybe I am biased, in that Penn State Varsity Athletics is sponsored by Nike and Phil Knight is a PSU alumni, but plenty of other wrestling teams have a check on them, as well.

I'm assuming this is the shoe you guys have been talking about?

mpxxmi9NkFeLre4mSCRzZvA.jpg

It would seem that they have already come out somewhere overseas, as they are all over ebay listed in UK sizes. I was looking for a pair of inflicts and found them. Indeed, they're beautiful, but the Inflict series will always be my favorite - any of them from the first to the latest. Look great, feel great and last a while.

I feel like you can't blame Nike for Oregon's situation, regardless of how funded the other teams are there. I could understand if no other Nike-affiliated institution supported wrestling, but this is not the case. Sure, Portland and the Ducks have a close relationship, obviously - the football and basketball teams get loads of exclusive special edition Nike and Jordan Brand gear year round - but so many other teams are sponsored by the brand, as well, and receive the same treatment (on a much, much, much lesser scale, nonetheless).

Maybe I am biased, in that Penn State Varsity Athletics is sponsored by Nike and Phil Knight is a PSU alumni, but plenty of other wrestling teams have a check on them, as well.

You don't understand. U of O is owned by Nike, and Phil's support is as a super rich alumni, as he is at Stanford too. It was strictly an internal decision by a misled, unqualified autocrat Phil installed for other purposes that he didn't want to publicly (or privately) question as long as the arena was moving forward.

How is PK a PSU alumni?