Sign in to follow this  
Wahawk90

NIKE is back in the game!

This is what kinda pisses me off about the NWCA and what they are doing to the national duals because their focus should be on raising money to reinstate programs that are fully funded at places like Oregon, Notre Dame, in the south. Nike is the type of company that could create a RTC program in Oregon and have their sponsored Olympic athlete train full time there and pay for great Russian partners to come over as training partners on a regular basis but that takes vision from NWCA and USA wrestling.

What did the nwca not do? Influence/bribe one of the worlds largest corporations?

OrSU already has a RTC 40 miles from UO.

How would returning importance to season dual team results - increasing fan interest/attendance at home duals - not be a way to help every wrestling team (that spend 70-80% of the season in duals)? Where can fans show support if the only meets results that matter to the "team" and school supporters occur in March?

I am discouraged over how few wrestlers remember (or every knew about) Nike president Phil Knight's *very* active role in ending the Oregon wrestling program. Mrs. Knight was jealous of OSU's national champion baseball team and wanted one at UO. So Phil coerced the school into hiring an unqualified* booster** for AD, whose sole purpose was to replace the wrestling team with a baseball team.

THE WRESTLING COMMUNITY NEEDS TO HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH NIKE!

* A violation of UO policy

** A violation of NCAA policy

Yes,

But conversely Nike had a lot to do with the reinstatement of baseball @ wrestling's expense. Add to that the lies that Kilwrestling told everyone about Baseball being a 'revenue positive' sport @ UO. They have a multi-million dollar facility (PK Park - ask in Phil Knight) and draw 1500 or so fans to a weekend PAC-12 series.

George Horton's salary alone could fund a full wrestling staff salary and part of the operating expenses for a season. Since they built the baseball stadium, they built a huge indoor basketball/court sports arena (Matthew Knight Arena) for $200M. Don't tell me Nike has nothing to do with UO athletics

Personally I've boycotted Nike since they dropped wrestling @ hole (a spin on their logo). I love my Asics cross trainers and running shoes.

You're right. The decision to add baseball (which required the cut in male roster spots from somewhere) was a result of Oregon State's 2006 and 2007 NCAA Baseball Championships. Oregon wanted in on some of the hype and wanted to take some of the Beaver's thunder.

I am discouraged over how few wrestlers remember (or every knew about) Nike president Phil Knight's *very* active role in ending the Oregon wrestling program. Mrs. Knight was jealous of OSU's national champion baseball team and wanted one at UO. So Phil coerced the school into hiring an unqualified* booster** for AD, whose sole purpose was to replace the wrestling team with a baseball team.

Unqualified is right; they rewrote the job description so he didn't need to have a college degree to be an Administrator.

If by "very active" you mean not lifting a finger in support of reversing the decision...

It was a large group including Joe Giansanti that ramrodded the restore baseball (cut instead of wrestling during the '80's) in jealousy of the OrSU baseball success. They got Penny's support, who also supports OrSU baseball to a much smaller extent, and along with Phil did stop UO from considering hiring the beavers coach. She also is the financing behind the summer wood bat baseball league team called The Corvallis Knights that sign star college players (limit of 4 per a single school) for high level additional experience, similar to the Cape Cod League.

Phil's interest was strictly in getting the arena project done on his time line and the former AD Bill Moos was going to follow all the procedures, and not cede authority to an external corporate benefactor, so he got bought out.

I'm assuming this is the shoe you guys have been talking about?

mpxxmi9NkFeLre4mSCRzZvA.jpg

It would seem that they have already come out somewhere overseas, as they are all over ebay listed in UK sizes. I was looking for a pair of inflicts and found them. Indeed, they're beautiful, but the Inflict series will always be my favorite - any of them from the first to the latest. Look great, feel great and last a while.

I feel like you can't blame Nike for Oregon's situation, regardless of how funded the other teams are there. I could understand if no other Nike-affiliated institution supported wrestling, but this is not the case. Sure, Portland and the Ducks have a close relationship, obviously - the football and basketball teams get loads of exclusive special edition Nike and Jordan Brand gear year round - but so many other teams are sponsored by the brand, as well, and receive the same treatment (on a much, much, much lesser scale, nonetheless).

Maybe I am biased, in that Penn State Varsity Athletics is sponsored by Nike and Phil Knight is a PSU alumni, but plenty of other wrestling teams have a check on them, as well.

You don't understand. U of O is owned by Nike, and Phil's support is as a super rich alumni, as he is at Stanford too. It was strictly an internal decision by a misled, unqualified autocrat Phil installed for other purposes that he didn't want to publicly (or privately) question as long as the arena was moving forward.

How is PK a PSU alumni?

I apologize - I got PK and Mark Parker confused. Parker is a PSU graduate.

Honestly, I most likely do not know as much as you all do on this subject - the only information I see is what other people say and old articles I have read. I do not know Nike's involvement in the U of O beyond its proximity to it, so I will take your word for it.. thank you for the insight.

Yes,

But conversely Nike had a lot to do with the reinstatement of baseball @ wrestling's expense. Add to that the lies that Kilwrestling told everyone about Baseball being a 'revenue positive' sport @ UO. They have a multi-million dollar facility (PK Park - ask in Phil Knight) and draw 1500 or so fans to a weekend PAC-12 series.

George Horton's salary alone could fund a full wrestling staff salary and part of the operating expenses for a season. Since they built the baseball stadium, they built a huge indoor basketball/court sports arena (Matthew Knight Arena) for $200M. Don't tell me Nike has nothing to do with UO athletics

Personally I've boycotted Nike since they dropped wrestling @ hole (a spin on their logo). I love my Asics cross trainers and running shoes.

You're right. The decision to add baseball (which required the cut in male roster spots from somewhere) was a result of Oregon State's 2006 and 2007 NCAA Baseball Championships. Oregon wanted in on some of the hype and wanted to take some of the Beaver's thunder.

The decision to add baseball had no such cut requirement, as was testified to under oath in court. They added a women's competitive cheer team at the same time as baseball. They finally admitted they did it because they could. Unfortunately the court was hearing an attempt at restraining the cut, not whether all the procedures they skipped that were required in a decision to cut any sport were properly followed. Unfortunately they reached court after the cut had become official therefor the judge said there was nothing a restraining order would keep from happening, no program to be allowed to continue. No reprieve the day after the execution...

ANYONE that doesn't think nike had LOTS to do with wrestling's downfall at UO simply were not paying attention when it all went down.

When I am in charge of tourneys I refuse to allow ANY nike products to be sold at the event.

And certainly would NEVER purchase a nike product of ANY kind.

I get that people are excited about Pico's sponsorship, but the tweet I saw was by Nike Boxing, not Nike wrestling. I get that they fall under the same umbrella company, but I think they see him as a potential MMA star in the making and are jumping on early. Now maybe if Pico wins an Olympic medal they will put together a shoe for Pico but who knows. Nike also sponsors Jon Jones.

ValkyrieWrestling ... we are practically neighbors I think. (Woodinville, former Tahoma wrestler)

I hear you, and understand what you are saying. YET ... if we look at the statements being made, and read them closely, U of O caved and took the money over principle. The following statement confirms the week willed or greedy environment that prevailed at UO at that time.

So Phil coerced the school into hiring an unqualified* booster** for AD, whose sole purpose was to replace the wrestling team with a baseball team.

Plus ... Bill Moos is/was no cupcake. He fought it till they decided to buy out his contract, then the administration brought in Killkerny. WSU is happy to have The Moose as their AD.

On more then one occasion, U of O caved, and took the easy way out. Our angst back then was more emotional, then logical. When I look back, I've lost more and more respect for Oregon. Tiny little Oregon State has stayed true to their mission, and has survived the "cuts" and pressure inherent to a school that has a wrestling team at the NCAA D1 level.

No question NIKE applied a lot of pressure and money to the equation. Knight was a brutal, aggressive business man.

We both live in an area of America, that has no D1 college wrestling teams.... OU, UW and WSU.

It doesn't set well with me. Between Title 9 (UW) and Nike (OU), and just simple case of no money at WSU.

With Oregon's success in the Football arena, and the PAC12 money sharing, they could easily support a wrestling team. Yet ... As is the case at all 3 schools I mention, none have a facility anymore for wrestling. All of their remodeling, and facility upgrades have not a whiff of wrestling intent. I put that on the schools.

This is TERRIBLE. First Pico abandon's college wrestling in it's time of need, then he takes the BLOOD MONEY that Nike should of spent keeping the Ducks a live. I didn't think it would come this far, but Pico really has turned his back on American wrestling.

My son wrestles for a Nike sponsored college and he didn't like the newer shoes at all but did like the Freek shoe. Fortunately for him, he has a big foot and the team had 5 or 6 pair of the Freeks in the closet that were left over from previous years and he has been using those for the past 5 years. He blew out his last pair of Freeks in this years conference tourney and had to wear a new pair of Inflicts (?) at NCAAs. He doesn't like them near as well as the Freeks. Not nearly as flexible.

ValkyrieWrestling ... we are practically neighbors I think. (Woodinville, former Tahoma wrestler)

I hear you, and understand what you are saying. YET ... if we look at the statements being made, and read them closely, U of O caved and took the money over principle. The following statement confirms the week willed or greedy environment that prevailed at UO at that time.

So Phil coerced the school into hiring an unqualified* booster** for AD, whose sole purpose was to replace the wrestling team with a baseball team.

Plus ... Bill Moos is/was no cupcake. He fought it till they decided to buy out his contract, then the administration brought in Killkerny. WSU is happy to have The Moose as their AD.

On more then one occasion, U of O caved, and took the easy way out. Our angst back then was more emotional, then logical. When I look back, I've lost more and more respect for Oregon. Tiny little Oregon State has stayed true to their mission, and has survived the "cuts" and pressure inherent to a school that has a wrestling team at the NCAA D1 level.

No question NIKE applied a lot of pressure and money to the equation. Knight was a brutal, aggressive business man.

We both live in an area of America, that has no D1 college wrestling teams.... OU, UW and WSU.

It doesn't set well with me. Between Title 9 (UW) and Nike (OU), and just simple case of no money at WSU.

With Oregon's success in the Football arena, and the PAC12 money sharing, they could easily support a wrestling team. Yet ... As is the case at all 3 schools I mention, none have a facility anymore for wrestling. All of their remodeling, and facility upgrades have not a whiff of wrestling intent. I put that on the schools.

"So Phil coerced the school into hiring an unqualified* booster** for AD, whose sole purpose was to replace the wrestling team with a baseball team."

Huh?

Again, Nike/Knight did nothing to promote the elimination of UO wrestling. The sin is that of omission. They could have saved it at no cost other than an expression of support. There were some bitter baseball supporters in Eugene that enjoyed the turn around of the two sports fortunes. The possible supposed necessity of the cut was promoted by an associate AD who's husband told a graduating wrestler (while the wrestler was student teaching in his school) that if his wife was ever in charge wrestling was gone the next day. (She's now back east) Enter Kilkenny (AD with no degree), with no college athletic administration experience and a mandate to get the arena done (not to cut wrestling). The "need" to add baseball had been growing and an opportunity was taken. Adding competitive cheer was the offset, but the associate ADs were running the show and Kilkenny depended on their "advice." After the whole multi month fight and court appearences he supposedly said if he'd known the headache coming he'd never have cut it.

Wrestling was collateral damage in Knight's hurry to finish the arena project that was to be named in memory of his late son, Matt.

Nike didnt pick up the tab for Oregon wrestling. Neither did USAW, NCAA, ORWAY, Sunkist, or anyone else for that matter. Because a shoe company didnt come save a team with a destructive head coach angers wrestling fans is beyond me, and I live here.

Laying this on the coach isn't fair either. I thought it was the sleazy AD who was destructive.

Nike is not just a shoe company. They are a major (maybe THE major) sports equipment conglomerate in the world with enormous power. And they didn't just not pick up the tab (which was relatively small), but they dumped enormous money into other Oregon sports while wrestling was dropped.

Fact is, Nike didn't give a rat's a** about wrestling at Oregon. Maybe they've changed, but they need to step up to the plate and show some major and visible love towards wrestling elsewhere. As for Oregon, screw the Ducks.

It is sad to see wrestling fans think in such an illogical, defeatest, poor mentality. Had the coaching staff at Oregon used their resources, they would have had a team that was deemed important. Instead, they wasted funds and had a head coach that no one wanted to wrestle for.

The way wrestling fans view the situation is the same way I see my poor neighbors blame the government. They feel the government should give them money and save them from their poor decisions, instead of take the opportunities around them and invest in themselves, making themselves a person who doesnt need govt assistance anymore. Had the Oregon admin and coaching staff done that, we wouldnt have wrestling fans so upset that NIKE gives football money but not wrestling.

I wrestled at Oregon many times. Lil old Southern Oregon in a town 1/8th the size and with a student body of 1/9th the size, out drew them for home meets. Why is that? Because we had a coaching staff that did our due diligence in recruiting and community support, something the Oregon coaching staff and the Oregon athletic administration (Not Kilkenny) didnt do.

Sheesh! Old dirty, wire, etc, of course Nike didn't drop wrestling at whoregon. They don't start or drop any college program. But support, donations, back door activities (booting an AD to install a completely unqualified (AD with no degree) friend of PK to do nothing but get the Matt Knight Arena built quickly) set the framework, or lack of it, when decisions were being made. Does anyone believe that a decision to drop wouldn't have been "reconsidered" if Phil had mentioned merely in passing that dropping a long standing Olympic sport that provided Nike it's first gold medal won in their shoes would reflect poorly? Remember, the Arena blueprints had mat room included for a long time...until they changed to a coaches hydrotherapy facility and other excessive bling. Simple expression of modest support, with no new money added (in court they admitted it was never a money issue), was all that would have been necessary.

The argument against the coach is bogus (and I'm not a Kearny supporter in any way). He was no better or worse than when they (surprisingly) hired him eleven years earlier...over T Brands, Z Jones (I think?), and others. The athletic Dept deserves blame, if there is any to assign, for not making personnel changes if that was an issue...not the athletic program he happened to be the head of.

+1

This is the response to Old Dirty. This has nothing to do with government handouts, but rather with a corrupt athletic department, backed by the deep pockets of an all-powerful sports conglomerate. Making this a problem with a particular coach's personal responsibility misses the point entirely. If needed, fire the coach but keep the program.

http://oregonsportsnews.com/team-news/o ... tling.html

Also .... I could never figure out how this happened. What the heck??? How can you miss a deadline like that. If anything you get it in early.

Unfortunately they (U of O) reached court after the cut had become official therefor the judge said there was nothing a restraining order would keep from happening, no program to be allowed to continue. No reprieve the day after the execution...

+1

This is the response to Old Dirty. This has nothing to do with government handouts, but rather with a corrupt athletic department, backed by the deep pockets of a all-powerful sports conglomerate. Making this a problem with a particular coach's personal responsibility misses the point entirely. If needed, fire the coach but keep the program.

It was an analogy. Wrestling fans are looking to NIKE as the bad guy because they didnt come save them from their own mistakes. Kearney drove the program into the ground and made it very easy to cut. The athletic department did nothing to help, and kept a coach around who was doing nothing. Wrestling fans look right past that and blame NIKE because they invest in Oregon football and not Oregon wrestling.

Blame the coach, blame admin. Dont blame the company with money for not giving handouts.

+1

This is the response to Old Dirty. This has nothing to do with government handouts, but rather with a corrupt athletic department, backed by the deep pockets of a all-powerful sports conglomerate. Making this a problem with a particular coach's personal responsibility misses the point entirely. If needed, fire the coach but keep the program.

It was an analogy. Wrestling fans are looking to NIKE as the bad guy because they didnt come save them from their own mistakes. Kearney drove the program into the ground and made it very easy to cut. The athletic department did nothing to help, and kept a coach around who was doing nothing. Wrestling fans look right past that and blame NIKE because they invest in Oregon football and not Oregon wrestling.

Blame the coach, blame admin. Dont blame the company with money for not giving handouts.

Nike shares significant blame in that they purchased the lease/option on the school and installed the athletic administrator with no concern for his ability to run an athletic dept. only his ability to ramrod the arena project. The adding baseball thing was an add on that would have interested Kilkenny as a box owner of the SD Padres (who coincidentally now have their A Emeralds minor league team playing in UO's new BB stadium).

UO deserves the most blame for selling themselves. And I agree Kearny was not good, but many not good coaches exist (was he Minkle bad? Is MSU dropping wrestling?). Success is no guarantee for a program either. U Wash. dropped while being consistently a ranked team. U Az hosted NCAA's a few years prior to dropping, and was decent. LSU dropped what I remember as a top ten team with an NCAA champ returning. The UCLA team might have made a title run with the Kistlers, Schultzs, and others (I think at minimum six that transferred wound up AAing, several multiple times, and several NCs).

This is TERRIBLE. First Pico abandon's college wrestling in it's time of need, then he takes the BLOOD MONEY that Nike should of spent keeping the Ducks a live. I didn't think it would come this far, but Pico really has turned his back on American wrestling.

Ok this HAS to stop. So the kid doesn't want to focus on a style of wrestling that won't make him any money? 1) he is still on track to graduate HS. 2) He has voiced his opinion that he wants to attend college, just not to participate in folkstyle NCAA wrestling.

Last I checked, the kid basically only goes to USA Wrestling events i.e. FILA JRs this weekend. And again, USA Wrestling IS American wrestling. The kid is a phenomenal talent, with incredible family support and the resources to make his dream come true. For all we know, part of his plan to sign with Nike is to be their golden child who leads them back into wrestling, to not only sell shoes but sponsor current programs and heck maybe re-instate cut programs.

If I hear one more person say he turned his back on American wrestling, I am going to go crazy. This is a smart, humble, religious young man who has many dreams and talents. He wants to win an olympic gold medal in freestyle, and then go into boxing or MMA. He seems to be a fan of combat sports in general. Let this 17 year old live his life how he sees fit. He has goals, he has a plan in place to achieve those goals, and he happens to have a team in place to financially support him. Let the kid live! I for one hope he drags every kid in his age group up with him, and that between him and Kyle Snyder they raise the interest and profile of our sport, which oh by the way just one year ago was in danger of being cut by the Olympics. I support Aaron Pico.