Sign in to follow this  
Wahawk90

NIKE is back in the game!

This is TERRIBLE. First Pico abandon's college wrestling in it's time of need, then he takes the BLOOD MONEY that Nike should of spent keeping the Ducks a live. I didn't think it would come this far, but Pico really has turned his back on American wrestling.

Ok this HAS to stop. So the kid doesn't want to focus on a style of wrestling that won't make him any money? 1) he is still on track to graduate HS. 2) He has voiced his opinion that he wants to attend college, just not to participate in folkstyle NCAA wrestling.

Last I checked, the kid basically only goes to USA Wrestling events i.e. FILA JRs this weekend. And again, USA Wrestling IS American wrestling. The kid is a phenomenal talent, with incredible family support and the resources to make his dream come true. For all we know, part of his plan to sign with Nike is to be their golden child who leads them back into wrestling, to not only sell shoes but sponsor current programs and heck maybe re-instate cut programs.

If I hear one more person say he turned his back on American wrestling, I am going to go crazy. This is a smart, humble, religious young man who has many dreams and talents. He wants to win an olympic gold medal in freestyle, and then go into boxing or MMA. He seems to be a fan of combat sports in general. Let this 17 year old live his life how he sees fit. He has goals, he has a plan in place to achieve those goals, and he happens to have a team in place to financially support him. Let the kid live! I for one hope he drags every kid in his age group up with him, and that between him and Kyle Snyder they raise the interest and profile of our sport, which oh by the way just one year ago was in danger of being cut by the Olympics. I support Aaron Pico.

I agree with most of what you wrote, but the statement referred to college wrestling, in a time of need, and a financial association with Nike who has not done much to relieve their perception as not a friend of wrestling.

This is the college forum where most have loyalties to team and sport, along with individuals. And much of that is because of their and the competitors association with particular colleges and conferences.

Nike shares significant blame in that they purchased the lease/option on the school and installed the athletic administrator with no concern for his ability to run an athletic dept. only his ability to ramrod the arena project. The adding baseball thing was an add on that would have interested Kilkenny as a box owner of the SD Padres (who coincidentally now have their A Emeralds minor league team playing in UO's new BB stadium).

NIKE didnt "install" anyone. The guy was hired by a board of directors, and admin knew exactly what they were doing. Had Kearney built a team that had a fan base and was winning, wrestling would not have been cut, someone else would have. Just because MSU keeps a stinker on board doesnt mean its ok. Just ask Boston U. Keep a complacent coach on staff that cant produce, and when the axe is coming, they are gonna take the longest neck.

In addition, Kearney and Stewart were offered additional jobs if the wrestling team was cut. Wonder why they went silent all of a sudden? There you go.

Nike shares significant blame in that they purchased the lease/option on the school and installed the athletic administrator with no concern for his ability to run an athletic dept. only his ability to ramrod the arena project. The adding baseball thing was an add on that would have interested Kilkenny as a box owner of the SD Padres (who coincidentally now have their A Emeralds minor league team playing in UO's new BB stadium).

NIKE didnt "install" anyone. The guy was hired by a board of directors, and admin knew exactly what they were doing. Had Kearney built a team that had a fan base and was winning, wrestling would not have been cut, someone else would have. Just because MSU keeps a stinker on board doesnt mean its ok. Just ask Boston U. Keep a complacent coach on staff that cant produce, and when the axe is coming, they are gonna take the longest neck.

In addition, Kearney and Stewart were offered additional jobs if the wrestling team was cut. Wonder why they went silent all of a sudden? There you go.

I said the school was to blame for selling themselves. But make no mistake, the moves/hires they made were at the "suggestion" of those with the money. You seriously think the school decided Kilkenny was the man to run athletics? That pres Frohnmeyer ignored rules governing how sports are dropped that while law school Dean he helped create, that they intentionally put themselves in court defending themselves, losing the memorabilia and support of Ken Kesey (alum, UO wrestler, who lost a son in a UO team van rollover - sued the school for the price of a dedicated team custom van - and donated it to the school)? All because of a coach, or a lack of butts in seats? It was the associate AD who had a vendetta against the sport/coach, and lacking any knowledge above her was able to exert her will. And nobody who had any influence over Kilkenny (Knight/Nike) suggested he change a decision he had made. Art Martori's (sp?) influence at ASU is a shadow of Knight's at UO.

Kearny stayed quiet. Stewart spoke until threatened with immediate termination (and afterwards a few solid sources seemed to know what only someone still inside would, and had history with Rickey)

Nike didnt pick up the tab for Oregon wrestling. Neither did USAW, NCAA, ORWAY, Sunkist, or anyone else for that matter. Because a shoe company didnt come save a team with a destructive head coach angers wrestling fans is beyond me, and I live here.

Huh,.... Have you been on campus?

U of Oregon = Nike Nike = U of Oregon

What part of that don't you get. Knight wanted Baseball, and didn't want or care about wrestling.

ValkyrieWrestling ... we are practically neighbors I think. (Woodinville, former Tahoma wrestler)

Yep. Kenmore here. My daughter wrestled for the Vikings (and I was a volunteer coach there), hence my handle.

No argument from me about Nike/Oregon. I think we are pretty much saying the same thing (with you emphasizing UO's complicity more. I won't buy their gear either.)

Nike didnt pick up the tab for Oregon wrestling. Neither did USAW, NCAA, ORWAY, Sunkist, or anyone else for that matter. Because a shoe company didnt come save a team with a destructive head coach angers wrestling fans is beyond me, and I live here.

What part of that don't you get. Knight wanted Baseball, and didn't want or care about wrestling.

Knight wanted the arena his way. Moos wasn't caving/moving the way he wanted, so he was removed. Baseball was merely an opportunist, that had Penny Knight's support. The collateral damage (cutting wrestling) was the now gone associate AD's doing because the AD with no degree wasn't really running the dept.

And the power behind the throne did nothing to stop it from happening.

I live here. Sure Knight wanted baseball. Oregon admin hired Kilkenny. Kearney and staff made wrestling the easiest thing to cut. What part of that dont you get?

You want to make your sport viable and useful to the university. Thats your only job as a college coach. With a full budget and full scholarships, great conference location, and access to a wealth of HS talent, Kearney's persona drove wrestlers away, and destroyed the talent that came to him. That makes wrestling an obvious choice to get rid of.

Kearny stayed quiet. Stewart spoke until threatened with immediate termination (and afterwards a few solid sources seemed to know what only someone still inside would, and had history with Rickey)

Exactly. Everyone either doesnt know this or conveniently forgets when crying about NIKE.

What part of the sworn under oath testimony by the UO administration, Kilkenny, Baumgartner, etc that flatly stated there was no T9 concern, or money concern linking the wrestling drop to anything about the other sports being added don't you understand? The only link was the misrepresentation of a T9 concern to Kilkenny by Baumgartner that caused him, because of his complete lack of understanding and experience in college athletic administration, to believe it. And his ego wouldn't allow him to retract a decision he had made, even when under oath he admitted it wasn't a concern.

And those who had the power to get him installed didn't suggest he should reconsider.

Kearny and Stewart both had families to support. When directly ordered to be silent, I can't blame them. They weren't in Finley's position - able to just quit and speak out. Or Dr. Dale's a couple decades earlier when they tried to cut OrSU wrestling - he was a fully tenured prof who couldn't be silenced. I'd respect them much more if they had quit, but I understand reasons for not. And would they not have been covered by non disclosure clauses, even post employment?

You make this about the coaches' performance. It's not about the coaches. It's about the wrestling. If the coaches were substandard or complacent, then replace the coaches, if you want to keep the sport. These schools wanted to drop the sport.

By your understanding, only handful of schools will keep wrestling, because only a handful compete for titles or have a significant fan base. Does Kansas City drop football because the Chiefs stink for a few years? This is a ridiculous, short-sighted, and very damaging attitude.

Most coaches only want to coach their team and don't want to or don't know how to promote the sport and raise money for the program. Title IX has been an issue but is it a bigger issue than having 200 people in the stands for a home dual?

You make this about the coaches' performance. It's not about the coaches. It's about the wrestling. If the coaches were substandard or complacent, then replace the coaches, if you want to keep the sport. These schools wanted to drop the sport.

By your understanding, only handful of schools will keep wrestling, because only a handful compete for titles or have a significant fan base. Does Kansas City drop football because the Chiefs stink for a few years? This is a ridiculous, short-sighted, and very damaging attitude.

Kansas city makes money, Oregon wrestling loses money. Kansas city sells tickets, Oregon wrestling was drawing 150-200 fans a match. Kearney dropped the ball, and when it came time to make cuts, how can you blame the university for cutting the biggest money pit on campus?

Bottom line: As a coach if you want your team on campus, you gotta do what they pay you to do or step down. As a fan, if you want your sport at the university, you have to show up for matches. Being a sport on campus a privilage, not a right.

Its this kind of complacency and lack of self responsibility that got teams like Boston U, Oregon, and Portland State axed. I wonder who the poor wrestling fans are gonna blame when Michigan State, Cleveland State, or Indiana get cut?

Kansas city makes money, Oregon wrestling loses money. Kansas city sells tickets, Oregon wrestling was drawing 150-200 fans a match. Kearney dropped the ball, and when it came time to make cuts, how can you blame the university for cutting the biggest money pit on campus?

Bottom line: As a coach if you want your team on campus, you gotta do what they pay you to do or step down. As a fan, if you want your sport at the university, you have to show up for matches. Being a sport on campus a privilage, not a right.

Its this kind of complacency and lack of self responsibility that got teams like Boston U, Oregon, and Portland State axed. I wonder who the poor wrestling fans are gonna blame when Michigan State, Cleveland State, or Indiana get cut?

That shined new baseball program has lost more money since reinstatement than wrestling did in decades. I guess its the chopping block for them 'cause Horton's a slacker?

That shined new baseball program has lost more money since reinstatement than wrestling did in decades. I guess its the chopping block for them 'cause Horton's a slacker?

If they lose money for 13 or so years and are in the basement of the Pac 12 for the same amount of time, drawing 300-400 fans a game, then yes, if an upstart team that has some promise comes in and baseball gets the axe, then they should have been more proactive and shouldnt complain about sealing their own fate.

If they lose money for 13 or so years and are in the basement of the Pac 12 for the same amount of time, drawing 300-400 fans a game, then yes, if an upstart team that has some promise comes in and baseball gets the axe, then they should have been more proactive and shouldnt complain about sealing their own fate.

No college sports beside FB and MHoops make money in general. A few have pockets that may locally or regionally (hockey). College athletics is not a for profit business, but the FB and BB contribution allows for broader and better funded athletic departments. Again, under oath they admitted money, as well as T9, was not a factor.

No college sports beside FB and MHoops make money in general. A few have pockets that may locally or regionally (hockey). College athletics is not a for profit business, but the FB and BB contribution allows for broader and better funded athletic departments. Again, under oath they admitted money, as well as T9, was not a factor.

I understand that. What I do not understand is why, as wrestling fans, we stand up for coaches who cannot perform their jobs, put teams in horrible positions that make them very easy to cut, then cry foul about how evil the universities and corporate sponsors are?

My point being, if Kearney had done his job from the start then UO would not have been in a position to be cut for baseball. Fan participation numbers have proven that UO students and fans prefer going to baseball games than wrestling matches.

My point being, if Kearney had done his job from the start then UO would not have been in a position to be cut for baseball. Fan participation numbers have proven that UO students and fans prefer going to baseball games than wrestling matches.

It was NOT cut for baseball!!! Or T9!!! It was cut by Rene. She was able to manipulat an unqualified AD.

Nobody is defending Kearny who had Webster win a NC, in spite of his coaching, just a couple years prior to the cut. What I'm saying is that a coach, either good or bad, is almost completely irrelevant. They are replaceable/expendable parts of a program. Was UCLA failing when they recruited the Kistlers, Schultzs, etc. and had just had a hwt NC followed by another placing 4th? Was LSU coach failing with a top 10 team twice in the three year prior to cut? UNO was a coaching failure how? Etc.

The only thing that held water at UO was the lack of a practice facility. That was taken for upgrades to FB/training area, with the commitment (by AD Moos) that a new one would be built/included in the new facilities. And it was.... until until the new AD (Arena Developer) Kilkenny was misled and decided to repurpose the wrestling area of said new arena. And what did he care. He was headed back to CA as soon as his project was finished.