Sign in to follow this  
davidtaylorgangordie

US Open Predictions

Lets get some predictions going based on the preseeds! I'll start it out.

57kg: Escobedo over Graff

61kg: Futrell over Kennedy

65kg: Oliver over Metcalf

70kg: Green over Fay

74kg: Burroughs over Taylor (Close)

86kg: Foster over Reader (Wouldn't surprise me to see Ruth win the whole thing)

97kg: Pendleton over Bergman

120kg: Fortune over Dlagnev

57kg: Graff over Escobedo (can Graff make weight and recover in enough time? I say yes, and he will be a beast at this weight)

61kg: Scott over Colon

65kg: Metcalf over Oliver

70kg: Marable over LeValley

74: Burroughs over Taylor (no, not close)

86: Foster over Reader

97: Varner over Bergman (it's been a while since they have met, and I think Varner shows up in shape)

125: Dlagnev over Fortune

I have seen on several sites today people that are picking Taylor to upset Burroughs. I see a pretty similair match like last year's match other than Taylor knows what to expect now. I do see Taylor's technical freestyle skill curve being to his favor over Burroughs and Dake by 2016. Technique defeats braun!

Burroughs may have the best technique in the world right now depending on what you place importance on. His technique isn't flashy, but as far as stance, motion, and maintaining good position while staying aggressive, he is the best in the world. That's the kind of technique that is most difficult to overcome.

Esco, Kennedy, Metcalf, Marable, Burroughs, Foster, Varner, Dlagnev... I think there will be upsets but not sure where. It's certainly possible, maybe even likely, that Varner wrestles poorly due to layoff and Matable is sucked too dry.

Regarding 74 I'll take JB over Taylor by 8-4. I think Graff is crazy to be going 57. I hope Ed Ruth looks impressive.

57kg: Haze over Hoch

61kg: Scott over Kennedy

65kg: Oliver over Humphrey

70kg: Marable over Vallimont

74kg: Burroughs over Taylor

86kg: Wright over Trotman

97kg: Pendleton over Bergman

125kg: Dlagnev over Bradley

Jaroslav, way to go out on a limb........just kidding, my picks are somewhat similar. And Scott, little surprised you didn't go with the local GCU kid.

Before I pick, I have absolutely no clue who's cutting what kind of weight, who's banged up with injuries, and I have no idea what's going on in the wrestling room when these guys match up. Nonetheless, should be a great tournament. Here goes:

57: Hochstrasser - just liked the way he wrestled India's World silver medalist Kumar. Hoch lost, but gave him a tough match. I like Esco a lot, but just have a feeling that the Kumar match will give Andrew a ton of confidence.

61: Kennedy - has had a lot of international success recently. Could be wrong, but I think Coleman Scott peaked at 2012 Olympics.

65: Metcalf beats Steiber in finals. Really like JO too, but wow, this weight class is locked and loaded. Really want to see Metcalf get a World medal before he's done.

70: Green - actually PRyan planted the Green seed in my head on a different thread. Wouldn't be surprised if James dominates this field.

74: The Champ - as much as I love the Magicman, I have to give JB the respect he deserves (and also JB is one of my favorites too - actually these are 2 of my favorite wrestlers). Taylor has the talent to pull off an upset, but it seems that JB is unstoppable since his loss to Marable. He looked like he was on a new level at the World Cup.

86: Foster - great international success lately knocking off a World champ and a World bronze at World Cup. Don't think Ruth is world freestyle ready yet, but if he gets hot, you never know.

97: Varner - even if he meets JD in the finals, I think Varner's gonna show a lot more offense against him this time. Just hope Jake is 100% healthy. I like JD, he appears to be a great guy, but I can't stand his approach against the international wrestlers.

125: The GCU kid. Gotta love what Fortune is doing (folk, free, Greco) and gotta love how Coach R.C. LaHaye started a wrestling program from scratch at Grand Canyon University. Possible changing of the guard at USA HWT in freestyle or perhaps even Greco.

At the World Cup, Hochstrasser wrestled the kid from India , not Rahimi. Esco wrestled Rahimi.

My bad, you're right. Hoch lost 4-3 to Kumar from India, the 2013 World silver medalist. Kumar lost to Rahimi 2-1 in the World finals.

Rahimi beat Esco 8-0 at the World Cup. Got it mixed up a little, still going with Hoch.

And yes, ready to eat crow on any and all wrong picks.

Anyone know about marables first match? Is he getting used to 70? First round matches will be interesting with him and Graff. Marable should have no problems with Martin his first match. How will Graff match up with Ornelas?

Anyone know about marables first match? Is he getting used to 70? First round matches will be interesting with him and Graff. Marable should have no problems with Martin his first match. How will Graff match up with Ornelas?