Sign in to follow this  
Pinnum

Pennsylvania Schools Facing T9 Challenge

This Federal complaint against several of the PA State System schools comes on the same day that Clarion U. athletic taskforce committee announces ENHANCEMENT for 4 athletic programs at Clarion (W.Volleyball, W.smimming & Diving, football, & wrestling).

Not sure what enhancement equates to but everyone involved is probably hoping more $$$, not marketing or game day give-aways, or community involvement. Something that might increase the quality of teams & athletes.

Coach Letters may want to submit resume to WVU, relatively same distance from hometown of Pittsburgh.

ws Last year when Clarion put out their report on restructuring academic programs, they recommended a two tiered athletic department where some sports would be given more resources and other programs would be scaled back.

With the exception of Football, all of the other sports being emphasized have been the most successful at Clarion in recent years. It looks like they are just moving the money around in the athletic dept to give some more to the programs that have been successful. Hopefully this means that scholarships are pulled from some of the de-emphasized sports and moved to the emphasized sports. I wouldn't expect much out of the other sports in the years to come as their resources were already scarce.

I wonder which schools are safe and which ones are not.

Clarion, Lock Haven and Bloomsburg all have D I programs

Shippensburg, Millersville and Kutztown all have D II programs.

The crazy thing is that most of these schools offer way more sports for the ladies then men, yet these women are still complaining. Just don't understand.

Not sure any students are complaining it looks like this was brought by a womens rights group whose sole purpose is to go after schools for these things.

You see in the comments there is a womens coach that said they struggle keeping women that want to play sports that they just lose interest. IDK about youze but most women I have known would rather be a part of a rec or club league than a varsity sport.

I am surprised they bothered going after a school that is only out of line by 5%. The real surprise is it looks like Mansfield doesn't even have football.

These special rights groups are sickening.

Bloomsburg's case shows an inherent flaw in Title IX.

BU is 50-50 M/W athletics and was 50-50 admissions. Then it became popular among female applicants and is now 57-43 women. That puts BU out of compliance with T9.

This is of course insane. Given the many constraints (fundraising timetables, donor Ts & Cs, NCAA limits in each sport, overall student demographic fluctuations, etc.), there are only 3 ways to stay in compliance: cut scholarships, cut teams, and cap general student body admissions by gender to keep a perpetual 50-50 split.

Imagine the activists' reaction if BU began capping female enrollment and actively recruiting men to achieve an overall 50-50 student body split, and cited Title IX as the reason.

Imagine the activists' reaction if BU began capping female enrollment and actively recruiting men to achieve an overall 50-50 student body split, and cited Title IX as the reason.

Even better.... I think in the general population of college-age students, there are more males than females. Imagine if we capped female enrollment at colleges and recruited male students to achieve the proportionality of male/female in the general population. I don't see that as being any different than trying to force sports participation to match the general population of the school. Lets make the population of the school match the general population and cite Title IX. That would drive a lot of those activists crazy.

Even better.... I think in the general population of college-age students, there are more males than females. Imagine if we capped female enrollment at colleges and recruited male students to achieve the proportionality of male/female in the general population. I don't see that as being any different than trying to force sports participation to match the general population of the school. Lets make the population of the school match the general population and cite Title IX. That would drive a lot of those activists crazy.

Or, imagine if we started stocking our athletics teams gender-blind, and therefore were in compliance? That's the excuse they use for 60/40 admissions being OK.

Interesting to note that Edinboro was not named...

Boro has 9 sports for women to men's 8 and one of the men's sport is wheelchair basketball. Edinboro also dropped baseball back in 2002.

I have always wondered about wheelchair basketball. I am ignorant to the sport. Does the sport require athletes to be wheelchair bound? If so, I don't see how it would take the general population into consideration for proportionality purposes. But even then the team is co-ed.

What I love about all this is that they always attack/focus on athletic programs.

The law (correct me if I'm wrong) as I understand it involves all educational opportunities.

Therefore, proportionality should be in all departments, i.e. law, medical, engineering, etc.

I'd like to see how those numbers stack up at all the schools, I'm willing to bet there are a lot of men "losing" opportunities to women but we never hear about those instances.

What I love about all this is that they always attack/focus on athletic programs.

The law (correct me if I'm wrong) as I understand it involves all educational opportunities.

Therefore, proportionality should be in all departments, i.e. law, medical, engineering, etc.

I'd like to see how those numbers stack up at all the schools, I'm willing to bet there are a lot of men "losing" opportunities to women but we never hear about those instances.

"But admission into those departments is gender-blind, which is not the case with athletics."