Sign in to follow this  
rickybobby

Leg Laces and Guts

Watching the US Open and I am brought back to a topic that always mystifies me when it comes to freestyle.

Occasionally you will have a leg lace or gut where you have 3, 4 or 5 quick turns in succession. Break 90 exposure or H-T-H, whatever. Invariably when the turns are quick in succession, the ref will "undercount" the turns. Almost every f'ing time. What is the deal? It is a given if I see somebody leglace a guy four times hand to hand that the ref will give him at most 3 points for this.

Is there so much going on while reffing a freestyle match that simple counting becomes difficult for refs - who are predominantly male and we all know men can't multitask?

Do most of the refs realize that it is kind of ridiculous to award points for the same hold over and over and over - leading them to take matters into their own hands and award the amount of points they think is fair?

Is there a super secret FILA rule concerning this situation that the powers to be refuse to make public because they feel that confusion is the best policy for wrestling to broaden its appeal to the masses?

Am I wrong here? Somebody let me know.

Also, I feel that the coaches are in on this. There is almost never a review in these situations. It's kind of like - hey, my guy just got 3 points and everything was going so fast, whoa, yeah, 3 points, way to go. Get some more.

Also, I feel that the coaches are in on this. There is almost never a review in these situations. It's kind of like - hey, my guy just got 3 points and everything was going so fast, whoa, yeah, 3 points, way to go. Get some more.

It probably is a big conspiracy involving the Russian Federation and the IOC to make freestyle less marketable in the USA.

Also sometimes the refs just suck.

I joked around in my previous point, but holy cow. Off the top of my head at least Welch and Ruth didn't receive points for exposures in their matches. Varner in the semis tried scoring a second exposure while Winn was still in criteria, but Welch and Ruth rolled laces/guts through twice and scored 2pts.

Really dissapointed with the officiating.