Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

74 kg is a joke at the Open

It's basically three guys: JB, Taylor, and Caldwell.

There were 13 byes in the first round, and the dropoff in talent from Caldwell to the rest of the field is enormous.

Meanwhile, 70 kg was stacked, with zero byes.

I've never seen a weight class clear so much out of respect for a champ!

I have not seen this kind of avoidance since Cael. I remember when Hartung and Morrison bumped up to 213 to avoid Cael at 187 but then got Cormier who also bumped up to avoid Cael. But this is even worse than that. Taylor stays behind like Fullhart did and is his only competition. I mean there are guys going up (Brown) weights and down weights (Marable) to avoid Jordan or not even showing up at the open (Howe and Dake-Dake maybe hurt though). I hope Taylor pulls it off. Kudos for him and Caldwell to!

what good is it for someone like Brown to bump up? Burroughs is one guy. there are many more guys he can't beat at 86kg.

looks like Marable moved down to avoid Burroughs, which is ironic because he's literally the only person to beat JB at the senior freestyle level, but he already made that move at the world cup, which had an allowance, so it looks more like a long term plan.

not disagreeing that 74 is a veritable ghost town, just that i dont see the point in going up to 86kgs to avoid Burroughs. though i bet we'd see some excellent matches at a 80kg class.

which also raises an interesting question, could Burroughs beat Foster at 86?

I have not seen this kind of avoidance since Cael. I remember when Hartung and Morrison bumped up to 213 to avoid Cael at 187 but then got Cormier who also bumped up to avoid Cael. But this is even worse than that. Taylor stays behind like Fullhart did and is his only competition. I mean there are guys going up (Brown) weights and down weights (Marable) to avoid Jordan or not even showing up at the open (Howe and Dake-Dake maybe hurt though). I hope Taylor pulls it off. Kudos for him and Caldwell to!

Dake is not avoiding anyone. He specifically said he will not wrestle at any weight other than 74 kg in his most recent interview, in which he was wearing a boot to take care of his broken ankle. He is definitely hurt and may be back in time for the WTT at the end of May.

The other guys clearly want no piece of the Champ, however, except Taylor and Caldwell.

The fact that Howe is not there at any weight tells me he's probably injured. I've never thought of him as the kind of guy to avoid anybody, even if that person has beaten him multiple times in the past.

As for the rest of the guys you are saying are avoiding people...I'm guessing a few of them are at the weights they are at because it's a more natural fit for their size. Sorry but 4 kilos one way or the 12 another is a huge difference for a lot of guys. And I'm guessing that realistically a guy like Brown did this more for experience and less with the idea of thinking he's going to make this years World Team.

Let's be real. JB is the man, but he would be at a very serious disadvantage against a world-class wrestler at the new weight of 86kg. That's like going up two or three weights, not one. We have weight classes for a reason. He's so good he'd be competitive with most, but the top guys at 86 kg would smoke him. That's just too much weight to give up for a guy who gets a lot of his edge through his power.

:lol:

Weakest weight in the tournament. Burrough's first match was a guy whose singlet didn't fit right and couldn't get in a stance.

He's better than the second guy Taylor wrestled who basically flopped to his own back and pulled a DF in 14 seconds.

:lol:

Cody mentioned Tuesday that someone couldn't go because another class absence would drop them a letter grade. Howe has a 4.0 so he wouldn't want to chance it. He can get into the WTT.

Howe still takes classes? I assumed that he graduated at least two semesters ago and was just taking credits to keep wrestling. This may be a joke, but my dad says he went to high school with Howe.