Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Foster vs Ruth: match of the year

Ruth's shots don't even make sense. He does not penetrate at all, doesn't really set them up, but basically If his fingertips touch any part of your calf you are taken down. He has that be stupid strong.

He gets enormous leverage from his freaky lengths. His wingspan is ridiculous.

Incredible match, Ruth made Foster pay for leaving that leg out there, and Foster hits a huge throw! I think Foster got exposure on time at at the end of the matych, but I feel like they might have missed some exposure points for Ruth in the earlier scramble.

Either way, Ruth looks much more comfortable in freestyle, and Foster doesnt look as unbeatable anymore.

Close match...but...I hope this will serve as a lesson for Ed looking for WTT. If you have the ability to dominate, then dominate. Look at the greats in our sport. They do not relax or take a break. They dominate and end the match when possible. You don't let poor calls or fluke scores come into play. Easy Ed let Foster hang around and Foster took advantage. Congrats to Foster.

I have the same beef with Oliver. His greatest asset is speed and he only uses it occasionally. John Smith would score non stop with his speed and he won multiple world titles where Oliver only uses his best asset maybe once a period or match.

I dont think Ed was letting Foster do anything... Foster killed him last year. He hangs that leg out there to bait people, but Ruth was too good at finishing. Both guys made tactical mistakes but both were trying to score IMO

You may be right about Oliver, but he actually looked like the slower guy in the semis.

I think Foster got exposure on time at at the end of the matych, but I feel like they might have missed some exposure points for Ruth in the earlier scramble.

I was surprised that Ruth's coaches didn't challenge the score in that scramble toward the end that tied it 10-10.

I dont think Ed was letting Foster do anything... Foster killed him last year. He hangs that leg out there to bait people, but Ruth was too good at finishing. Both guys made tactical mistakes but both were trying to score IMO

You may be right about Oliver, but he actually looked like the slower guy in the semis.

Agreed on both. I have never seen Ruth as winded as he was at the end of this match. Ruth may be the best-conditioned wrestler I've seen since Ironside and is almost never winded. He was definitely not taking it easy this time.

And is it possible that JO has lost a step? He definitely looked slower than usual to me. Maybe it's because his level of activity got cut in half from when he was wrestling at his best.

That last takedown looked after the buzzer to me. The ref had no idea when the period ended.

Not only that, but the push out when Ruth was leading 5-4 belonged to Ed not Clayton. The score should have been 6-4, not 5-5. Ed basically got screwed. He will start to dominate very quickly.

Based on this video here, it seems pretty clear the TD was called and scored after the clock read triple zeros: http://universalsports.com/video/2014-us-wrestling-championship-foster-wins-semi-final/

That being said, Foster is having a heck of a year and you absolutely cannot ever leave it in the hands of the official. Score your points in the center of the mat and win comfortably. I know that is much easier said than done, but it always has been the truth. Ruth will win WTT.

Ed will be dominating these guys maybe even by this years trials. He smells blood now and knows he can do it. This tourney was big for him. But surely by next year this weight will be his. To think Ruth and Wright were almost dead even last year. Ed must be benefiting from Varner's return since I hear they are wrestling almost daily the last five months focusing on freestyle only.

I really thought Q. would be the guy at this weight but Ruth's potential is sky high. Give him a year to get bigger and train exclusively freestyle and he could become very dominant. Would not surprise me if the coaches tweak a couple things between now and WTTs and he wins a spot on Team USA this year.

As good as Ruth wrestled, I don't think he'll beat Reader today. Ed lost the match when he basically jumped on top of Foster's shoulders leading to the throw; fight the double and at worst, bail to concede the two. Ruth was clearly the dominant wrestler. His level change is what gets him to the single so easily; how many times did he to get Foster's rt leg (10+x's)?

A couple of thoughts- It's hard to replay the end sometimes if you don't get at it right away since the commercial comes back on but I have a sense that the on-screen clock might be slightly behind the real clock. Listen to the whistles at the 12 second stop/start. There was a second or so lag there. Hard to tell if that was simply because the clock was going to change at the stop and hence wait at the start but the countdown the last few seconds was similarly slightly off and I think Ruth was exposed just slightly after (if not on) as the clock showed zeroes. On the other hand, watch the 4 point throw again. I'm not sure of the newer interpretations but look where Ruth's body is when he hits. He's actually belly down and holding Foster on his back as they land. Obviously is points for Foster, just not sure how many.