Sign in to follow this  
bob_meadows_167

Jordan Oliver weight?

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/110512aaa.html

On Chris Perry and Jordan Oliver

"I just want to make sure that both of those guys take the team along with them. I want them to lead by example on the mat and off the mat. They're two good wrestlers. Jordan is going up two weight classes. He's going to start the season at 149. It's the first in my career that anyone has gone up two weight classes. We'll see how that works. I don't think we'll see him running through guys like we have in the past, but he's a tough kid who can do about anything. He wrestled at the trials this summer at 145, so he's wrestling big guys and had a lot of success. He'll handle the weight, and we still have that option to take him down."

Going up two weight classes worked well years ago for Michigan. Tannenbaum went from 149 to 165, Luke from 157 to 174 and Nick Roy from 174 to 197. All AA with the first and only AA for Roy. Oliver will do just fine.

I have been an advocate for JO's bump and expect similar success..my question really is how dangerous do you think Olivers cut was last year?

You seem to be fixated on a "danger", without specifying what makes you think he was in danger, and few if any seem join your specific concern regarding JO. So my answer is: no more dangerous than the cut a whole bunch of others.

Guest Hammerlock3

I don't believe many cuts are dangerous. It's a quality of life issue.

I very much respect JO's move.

You folks need to look at a season...149 is not 133...Same goes for Mr. Dake...165 is not 157 in Tournament Wrestling...Cornell does have a weak schedule so maybe guys like Mr. Dake could benefit but I doubt it...Most likely injured by the NCAA's!!!

You folks need to look at a season...149 is not 133...Same goes for Mr. Dake...165 is not 157 in Tournament Wrestling...Cornell does have a weak schedule so maybe guys like Mr. Dake could benefit but I doubt it...Most likely injured by the NCAA's!!!
The chances of those guys making through the season healthy by moving up a weight class have improved. Speaking from experience, the longer you hold a weight down the more your body wears down and the more prone you are to injury. Wrestling at a weight where you are not cutting extreme amounts will improve the odds of your body holding up over the season.

Hammerlock - Don't say that around npope!!

Too late - already saw it. However, I have no bone to pick here. Glad to see Oliver is up a weight or two. Hope he destroys the field in route to another NCAA title.

I'm confused. Are you saying Dake is likely to get injured before NCAAs, because he's going 165 instead of 157? 165 is a much tougher weight this year, at least at the top 3, but Dake already beat the defending Hodge winner and has wrestled plenty of heavier guys in the offseason including Howe. I think he'll be OK at 165.

...Cornell does have a weak schedule so maybe guys like Mr. Dake could benefit but I doubt it...

Are you serious? They are obliged to wrestle the other five Ivy schools. Here are highlights from Cornell's schedule:

Journeyman Duals (24-Nov):

Drexel

#11 Oklahoma

#14 Central Michigan

Cliff-Keen Invitational (30-Nov; 1-Dec)

Grapple at the Garden (16-Dec):

#7 Missouri

#3 Oklahoma State

Southern Scuffle (1-2 Jan)

#21 Lehigh (6-Jan)

National Duals (17-Feb)

Hofstra and Binghamton are others on their schedule that recieved votes in the latest AWN poll.

CTM's post was...inexplicable...and stupid

He's still suffering from Taylor losing to Dake in the All Star Classic.

Dake not a tournament 165? I'll bet my bottom dollar that Dake weighs somewhere between 175-180 Saturday night in Des Moines -- just like the 10-15 lbs over he's been every other year.

Taylor better hope Dake doesn't crank out another, "I take down" evening.

College 149 - Jordan Oliver's place is 1st and has scored 27.00 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Jordan Oliver (Oklahoma State University) won by pin over Trent Robb (Neosho Community College) (Pin 0:27)

Champ. Round 2 - Jordan Oliver (Oklahoma State University) won by pin over Zack McClure (Benedictine College) (Pin 2:57)

Champ. Round 3 - Jordan Oliver (Oklahoma State University) won by pin over Anthonie Linares (University of the Cumberlands) (Pin 1:47)

Quarterfinal - Jordan Oliver (Oklahoma State University) won by pin over Ethan Raley (Lincoln College) (Pin 1:07)

Semifinal - Jordan Oliver (Oklahoma State University) won by major decision over Mike Kelly (Iowa) (Maj 10-1)

1st Place Match - Jordan Oliver (Oklahoma State University) won by major decision over Drake Houdashelt (Missouri) (Maj 12-4)