Sign in to follow this  
Hubbard

Pico/Retherford

Pico DOMINATES 7-0. Three TDs, one pushout. Never in any danger at all.

Zain took NINE shots and never came close to putting Pico in danger. Pico looked like he was drilling when he was sprawling to deny Zain every time. Zain might've touched Pico's legs three times, barely, before getting a mouthful of hip.

Pico's snapdowns are senior-level world-class. It's hard to believe this kid is only 17 but can beat top competition with such a physical style. What a stud to make a world champ like Zain look like a JV wrestler.

That was as thorough of a butt whooping you will see. Basically the whole 2nd period Retherford stuck his hand in Pico's face just to avoid a TF.

Agreed. He didn't even try to shoot a tenth time after getting denied nine times in a row. The clock was winding down and all he could do was stiff-arm Pico to keep him from advancing.

Is there any chance that Pico will compete at World Team Trials? I understand why he competed where he did this weekend, because he wants to have the #1 seed for Jr. World Team Trials, but could we see him trying out for the Sr. World Team? Are you even allowed to wrestle at Senior level USA Wrestling events at the age of 17? I was thinking that their might be a requirement that went in place in the past few years that you had to be 18.

Is there any chance that Pico will compete at World Team Trials? I understand why he competed where he did this weekend, because he wants to have the #1 seed for Jr. World Team Trials, but could we see him trying out for the Sr. World Team? Are you even allowed to wrestle at Senior level USA Wrestling events at the age of 17? I was thinking that their might be a requirement that went in place in the past few years that you had to be 18.

I am pretty sure it is still 17 - unless there is a difference between mens and womens rules - because I know of some 17 year old girls who are competing nationally.

Having said that, it looks like they are grooming Pico's confidence, experience, and technical ability, for Junior Worlds this year before throwing him in the meat grinder of Senior level wrestling all the time next year. His is still 17 after all. I hope they wait just a little while longer..... what's the hurry?

what does Pico want?

I am sure it's factored in. He has a good support group of a close family, friends, and a long time coach who is all but a member of the family, all helping/guiding him with his best interests in mind. He is still only seventeen. So far so good.

Pico first started out wanting to be a 4-timer in HS.

His eyes are purely on gold in 2016. He'll have 2 more years of man strength. Not sure if he should go to the WTT this year. Next year probably makes more sense.