Sign in to follow this  
OhioSpladle

Aaron Pico...

Interestingly enough he did not just beat Logan, but somehow he did beat Dake.

Well if it makes you feel any better, sophomore in high school Pico is probably better than Freshman in college Dake.

Fact. Usually try not to get carried away on this stuff. But that win was really really impressive.

He shut it down in the second period because he could, but man, was that first period was just absolutely commanding. Took three shots, finished all three easily. Zane is a machine, but Pico is a world class wrestler right now imo.

Is there any chance that Pico will compete at World Team Trials? I understand why he competed where he did this weekend, because he wants to have the #1 seed for Jr. World Team Trials, but could we see him trying out for the Sr. World Team? Are you even allowed to wrestle at Senior level USA Wrestling events at the age of 17? I was thinking that their might be a requirement that went in place in the past few years that you had to be 18.

He shut it down in the second period because he could, but man, was that first period was just absolutely commanding. Took three shots, finished all three easily. Zane is a machine, but Pico is a world class wrestler right now imo.

Is there any chance that Pico will compete at World Team Trials? I understand why he competed where he did this weekend, because he wants to have the #1 seed for Jr. World Team Trials, but could we see him trying out for the Sr. World Team? Are you even allowed to wrestle at Senior level USA Wrestling events at the age of 17? I was thinking that their might be a requirement that went in place in the past few years that you had to be 18.

That requirement you mentioned exists. That's not a USA Wrestling rule, but a FILA rule.

That requirement you mentioned exists. That's not a USA Wrestling rule, but a FILA rule.

So, does that mean that in theory he could compete at World Team Trials, but if he were to make the team, the alternate would go?

I understand why he competed where he did this weekend, because he wants to have the #1 seed for Jr. World Team Trials

This is an interesting post because Assistant National Team Coach Brandon Slay, talking of Kyle Snyder, said he's an advocate of competing in your age group. In other words, if you are still a junior, win the juniors, don't go up and compete in the seniors.

So, does that mean that in theory he could compete at World Team Trials, but if he were to make the team, the alternate would go?

Unless USA Wrestling has adopted the rule as well (I haven't had a chance to look, but would assume they have), yes.

Edit: Just looked, USA Wrestling has. 17-year-olds cannot participate at Senior-level World Team Trials.

I understand why he competed where he did this weekend, because he wants to have the #1 seed for Jr. World Team Trials

This is an interesting post because Assistant National Team Coach Brandon Slay, talking of Kyle Snyder, said he's an advocate of competing in your age group. In other words, if you are still a junior, win the juniors, don't go up and compete in the seniors.

Wow that is a problem because I am sure the Russians don't feel that way about their athletes.

Wow that is a problem because I am sure the Russians don't feel that way about their athletes.

That was what I was thinking too....... when did this rule come into effect? Must have been this year. I know in the women's opens last year Kayla Miracle (know the kid) competed last year and wasn't 18 yet.

FWIW, this is not advocated him wrestling Seniors this year. I rather like his career progression..... get on the Junior team and try to win Junior Worlds (he will have competition there). He is 17, he can do Senior level next year. What is the hurry.

I have to laugh..... he absolutely smokes a Senior level Russian last year and it gets noticed but there are still doubts. Heck some didn't think he could beat Zain. But in order to get 'mad' respect you have to beat an AA college guy (a really good one mind you) in a style the college kid doesn't do full time, in order to get respect.

Gotta go easy on Chertow, Zain spent a lot of time as a youth wrestler in his program (in a nice gym under his business next to his house), of course he will side with Zain. I say this and I consider Chertow a total A-hole.

Did Ms. Miracle turn 18 on or before December 31st? If so, that makes her 18 by FILA (and USAW) rules.
Did Ms. Miracle turn 18 on or before December 31st? If so, that makes her 18 by FILA (and USAW) rules.

I am not 100% sure, but close. She is a class of 14 kid, and I am about 90% sure she was a year behind my kid age group wise, so that would be a Birthday before 12/31. I was kind of surprised to see her in the bracket last year as a Junior because she must have just turned 17, and she got smoked (dad is/was a Navy Seal and likes to push things). She did better this year.

Miricle is a 1996 birthday and is turning 18 before WTT. I don't recall her competing in the Senior Womens Open previously. I believe this is her first Senior open. If not it could be due to the women's division having a younger age limit in an attempt to improve the talent pool of the still growin women's division. However, I don't believe that is the case. I do know 18 &19 year olds can compete with a medical waiver which I'm assume if is the case with Miricle this year. I'm assuming Pico's plan (also a 1996 birthday) is to focus on winning a Jumior world title this year (rather than risking not making the senior team) and then focus on senior level competition next tear.

Miricle is a 1996 birthday and is turning 18 before WTT. I don't recall her competing in the Senior Womens Open previously. I believe this is her first Senior open. If not it could be due to the women's division having a younger age limit in an attempt to improve the talent pool of the still growin women's division. However, I don't believe that is the case. I do know 18 &19 year olds can compete with a medical waiver which I'm assume if is the case with Miricle this year. I'm assuming Pico's plan (also a 1996 birthday) is to focus on winning a Jumior world title this year (rather than risking not making the senior team) and then focus on senior level competition next tear.

Seventeen was okay last year (for women) as Kayla competed at 55 kg. Got beat 5-0,pin by Maroulis and beaten 1-1,5-1 by Tillman.