Sign in to follow this  
OhioSpladle

Aaron Pico...

I love Pico, but for now I just don't see him beating Metcalf. Brent is wrestling at a Gold Medal type level. I would not be real surprised to see him at or near the top of the podium at Worlds.

I was very impressed how he wrestled down in LA last month. He dominated most of the time against some of the worlds best.

I love Pico, but for now I just don't see him beating Metcalf. Brent is wrestling at a Gold Medal type level. I would not be real surprised to see him at or near the top of the podium at Worlds.

I was very impressed how he wrestled down in LA last month. He dominated most of the time against some of the worlds best.

Metcalf dominated last years WTT and went 0-1 at worlds. What makes you think he breaks through this year. He will need a favorable draw to make the podium.

Metcalf dominated last years WTT and went 0-1 at worlds. What makes you think he breaks through this year. He will need a favorable draw to make the podium.

It's true, Metcalf simply has not delivered at the worlds. But it's not like he has never had international success either. He placed 2nd at the Yarigin (not exactly a JV tourney) and 1st at this year's world cup, 2nd at last year's. He has placed at Cerro Pelado, Pan Ams, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others. While none of these are the worlds, it's not like Metcalf has had zero success internationally either.

Metcalf is wrestling lights out right now. Russell improved a lot and looked unstoppable until Metcalf almost teched him (was one point away from doing so). Russell had no answer for anything Metcalf did, just got flat out beaten up for six minutes.

Not only has Metcalf improved his leg attacks, which are much harder to defend against now (before, he left himself in a position to get turned too often), but his mat wrestling has improved a lot. He scored more points with his gut wrenches than he did off of all his TDs combined at the US Open.

My point: I think he has a real shot to medal this year, and he's still improving. He may not end up medaling, but at 27, as the clear #1 wrestler in the US at his weight, it's too early to give up on him. Personally, I think he does it this year.

I wonder if Pico will be at 65kg in two years?

My guess is he ends up in the insane 74 kg logjam by 2016. Very unfortunate for us. He is only 17 and has grown at least a weight class every year. He is bigger at 17 than Burroughs, Dake, or Taylor were at the same age. His dad looks at least a couple of inches taller.

My guess is he ends up in the insane 74 kg logjam by 2016. Very unfortunate for us. He is only 17 and has grown at least a weight class every year. He is bigger at 17 than Burroughs, Dake, or Taylor were at the same age. His dad looks at least a couple of inches taller.

How tall is Pico now?

How tall is Pico now?

I've only met him once, and that was almost six months ago, but I'd say he was a little shy of 5'9" then. I could be off by a little.

I've only met him once, and that was almost six months ago, but I'd say he was a little shy of 5'9" then. I could be off by a little.

I was going to guess 5'9".

I haven't met Pico yet. I'm jealous :)

I would love to see Metcalf in Rio but I honestly would love to see Pico win another Cadet title and then go to Rio and win a gold medal

Too old for that. FILA junior worlds will be a better challenge anyway

Your right, that is actually what I meant. I think it would be cool to see an American win a Junior title then Olympic gold the next year like the Russians have done. Our system isn't designed for guys to do that.

I'm not one to hug nuts, but this kid is the best I've seen at his age. His snaps are so effective at such a high level, it defies a lot of traditional beliefs about physical maturity and technique.

So were Kolat, Ty and Teague Moore, Sean Hage, Adam Mariano, Laurance and Torrae Jackson, Alan Fried, David Taylor, Damion Hahn, Mocco..and so on, and so on.....

I'm not one to hug nuts, but this kid is the best I've seen at his age. His snaps are so effective at such a high level, it defies a lot of traditional beliefs about physical maturity and technique.

So were Kolat, Ty and Teague Moore, Sean Hage, Adam Mariano, Laurance and Torrae Jackson, Alan Fried, David Taylor, Damion Hahn, Mocco..and so on, and so on.....

RetiredPoster-What is your beef with PIco? Obviously you dont like him for some reason? What is it?

Miricle is a 1996 birthday and is turning 18 before WTT. I don't recall her competing in the Senior Womens Open previously. I believe this is her first Senior open. If not it could be due to the women's division having a younger age limit in an attempt to improve the talent pool of the still growin women's division. However, I don't believe that is the case. I do know 18 &19 year olds can compete with a medical waiver which I'm assume if is the case with Miricle this year. I'm assuming Pico's plan (also a 1996 birthday) is to focus on winning a Jumior world title this year (rather than risking not making the senior team) and then focus on senior level competition next tear.

Kayla Miracle wrestled at the 2013 US Open when she was 17 years old. She was in the FILA Cadet(15-17 years old) age group during the 2013 calendar year.

He and Snyder should compete at the trials now. I can not see any reason AT ALL why you would hold these young men back. Who cares about age. If they can whip all our seniors then through them in. They have the talent to win now. Could Pico beat Metcalf-I think so, would give edge to Metcalf. Snyder vs Varner, well again I would favir Varner but would not be shocked if Kyle won. I know coach Slay knows more than I do about how Snyder does against JD in the 2 min goes and pico does against Metcalf so I trust him but it seems that they could win a spot now! Also Cox needs a wild card at trials also.

As I said on here before: when I saw Pico LAST YEAR (as a freshman) at the Folkstyle nationals he was already college ready.

I thought homey didn't waste his time watching high school wrestling?

As I said on here before: when I saw Pico LAST YEAR (as a freshman) at the Folkstyle nationals he was already college ready.

I thought homey didn't waste his time watching high school wrestling?

You're right, Homey doesn't waste his time with it, but Homey was volunteering Homey's services to assist with the event.

You in for some volunteerism for it this year, Rush? I'll be doing it again. It's all for the kids, Rush.

You were definitely the one who spotted his talent first. :roll:

You were definitely the one who spotted his talent first. :roll:

Maybe not the first, but I don't recall seeing THIS MANY Pico threads and posts on here last summer, do you, Rush, my boy?

Case rested... 8-)

Ban my boy, you come across like a buffoon. Calling everyone who disagrees with you "Rush" is not really showing your smarts, assuming you have any. Oh yea, you work at a college of some kind. My bad.

Ban my boy, you come across like a buffoon. Calling everyone who disagrees with you "Rush" is not really showing your smarts, assuming you have any. Oh yea, you work at a college of some kind. My bad.

Nice punctueration, Rush, my boy! :lol:

12/18 = 67% :oops:

Perfect for BB

What are my Friends and Foes lists?

You can use these lists to organise other members of the board. Members added to your friends list will be listed within your User Control Panel for quick access to see their online status and to send them private messages. Subject to template support, posts from these users may also be highlighted. If you add a user to your foes list, any posts they make will be hidden by default.