Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Metcalf - he's pretty good

Many people tend to consider Metcalf as 'old;' However, in my opinion, I think he is just beginning to hit his stride in Freestyle. I would not be surprised to see him getting a couple of world medals and finishing off his career with an olympic medal.

By the way, I don't even think he's thirty yet.

Many people tend to consider Metcalf as 'old;' However, in my opinion, I think he is just beginning to hit his stride in Freestyle. I would not be surprised to see him getting a couple of world medals and finishing off his career with an olympic medal.

He's only 27, which is why it's such a joke that people call him old at all.

What's not to like?

I really like Metcalf, but he can't seem to break through on the international level. The foreigners seem to have no problem stopping his offense.

2 weeks ago, he went 5-0 in the World Cup!!!!! And then there's his great performance this weekend in the Open, including 10-0 vs Hump, and 9-0 vs Russell, and the wt. class was loaded.

He's only 27, which is why it's such a joke that people call him old at all.

DAMN !!! It seems like he has been around forever.... Partly because he was in the news way back in HS. The coverage he has had by the media goes way back ....

What's not to like?

I really like Metcalf, but he can't seem to break through on the international level. The foreigners seem to have no problem stopping his offense.

2 weeks ago, he went 5-0 in the World Cup!!!!! And then there's his great performance this weekend in the Open, including 10-0 vs Hump, and 9-0 vs Russell, and the wt. class was loaded.

Still hasn't done anything when it counts. The foreigners peak for the World Championships, not the team championships. I mean even Foster beat a world champ at the team competition. Let's see them do it when it counts for a world medal!

He is top dog in a weight the US is relatively weak at in world competition.

He has the drive to succeed and if he gets in more international competition he will only get better. Facing tougher competition regularly will help his game and he will up the level. I think he will place on the world level within the next three years, possibly more than once.

Metcalf looked great.

I guess you can say that Metcalf couldn't get it done against Americans either at previous US Opens. Yes, Brent was one and done in both World appearances, but he lost a very close match to the Georgian (who was a previous World silver - Zadick beat him for gold), and there's no shame in losing to Iran's 2x World champ Taghavi in the first round.

I really don't think the rest of the world is that far ahead of Metcalf. We'll see. Go Brent, you're one of my favorite wrestlers!

It looked to me that Russell, who used to be on the slight side for a wrestler, has bulked up quite a bit. He seemed bigger than Metcalf, while usually its Metcalf who at least appears physically dominant, a bully. But Metcalf still won and won handily. He is showing more skill on the mat and seems more mature off the mat.

2td3nf, I agree.

Also, while it's true that Metcalf has sucked at the worlds, it's not like he has had zero success internationally either.

Let's not forget that Metcalf placed 2nd at the very tough Yarigin, 2 and then 1 at consecutive world cups, and has placed at Cerro Pelado, Pan Ams, etc. He has not delivered at the worlds... yet... but it's not like he has yet to show enough promise that he could do very well.

I'm betting this is his breakout year.

What's not to like?

5-0 at the World cup. He's improving every tournament. I like his chances at Worlds.